Damon Albarn - The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

aldamasta

Re: Damon Albarn - The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows

Post by aldamasta » 03 Dec 2021, 00:55

I’ve been looking all over for videos, hopefully some will emerge! What a nice surprise. Gonna go listen to UTW for the first time in awhile…!

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 03 Dec 2021, 08:07

Going to be so many unique one-off performances of tracks on this piano tour. So exciting. Surely an album will follow at some point. Roll on Coventry next week.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 03 Dec 2021, 09:02

rich wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 00:48
Wow - my terracotta heart - solidarity with Graham?
I wondered about that. Not a song I have played much but would love to hear Damon play it.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 03 Dec 2021, 13:47

rich wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 00:48
Wow - my terracotta heart - solidarity with Graham?
I wonder how much Damon is even aware of it. It's not like he uses social media and the rumours have not exactly gone public outside of certain parts of the online world.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 03 Dec 2021, 19:46

There really has been very little take up outside the core group of people complaining, although I suspect they may change after the latest round of screenshots. Lots of media sources jumped on the Bob Dylan allegations a month or two back and were burned when they were comprehensively disproven. I suspect they are employing a bit more caution with this - but I’m sure his management (also Damon’s management) will have taken note, especially as Suzi Grossman has now been brought into it. Hopefully these accounts are just as spurious as the Dylan one.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 03 Dec 2021, 19:57

aldamasta wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 00:55
I’ve been looking all over for videos, hopefully some will emerge! What a nice surprise. Gonna go listen to UTW for the first time in awhile…!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_98hfoa59/

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 03 Dec 2021, 21:21

Thats beautiful. I think I'm just gonna end up sobbing through it all next week

John_d

Post by John_d » 05 Dec 2021, 01:25

jonathas wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 19:46
There really has been very little take up outside the core group of people complaining, although I suspect they may change after the latest round of screenshots. Lots of media sources jumped on the Bob Dylan allegations a month or two back and were burned when they were comprehensively disproven. I suspect they are employing a bit more caution with this - but I’m sure his management (also Damon’s management) will have taken note, especially as Suzi Grossman has now been brought into it. Hopefully these accounts are just as spurious as the Dylan one.
This was the first mention I had seen of it. Have had a look on Twitter. Some unsettling sstuff, am hoping it's not accurate. I wouldn't be that surprised if it turned out Graham has had relationships with fans. am hoping any suggestions of grooming or anything even worse by him is incorrect. Otherwise - i dont think it's any of our business?

Being too keen to get into bed with fans was a common accusation against Damon in 90s and beyond. Based on allusions in Alex James book, and up to Damon's own stories to Alan Carr last week, Damon was a very busy boy in the late 90s...

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 05 Dec 2021, 20:06

The longer it goes on without a statement about it the more uncomfortable I'm getting about it. If there are aspects of what's being said that are untrue then you put a statement out denying it. Or at the very least you do a 'I'm aware of allegations being circulated on social media...' but to go completely radio silent when he's quite a regular Twitter user is not great.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 05 Dec 2021, 20:48

Caitlin wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 20:06
The longer it goes on without a statement about it the more uncomfortable I'm getting about it. If there are aspects of what's being said that are untrue then you put a statement out denying it. Or at the very least you do a 'I'm aware of allegations being circulated on social media...' but to go completely radio silent when he's quite a regular Twitter user is not great.
He can't say anything. The moment he says something is the moment national newspapers can quote him and actually make it a story. His name will be associated with the act regardless if he's guilty or innocent once he makes a statement on this. I get that his silence is disappointing to many of his fans, but any legal or PR representative worth their salt would be advising Graham to say nothing until it actually does gain traction.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 06 Dec 2021, 09:45

Totally agree - there's no chance of him making a statement until someone comes forward with a claim that has substantive evidence. Doesn't mean the claims so far are fake, but nothing actionable has come out just yet. He would be insane to draw attention to something which, rightly or wrongly, is at the moment just unsubstantiated rumour. With the best will in the world, I feel like the young women attempting to catalogue these claims don't necessarily understand what is needed to get these claims taken seriously.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 06 Dec 2021, 10:20

jonathas wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 09:45
Totally agree - there's no chance of him making a statement until someone comes forward with a claim that has substantive evidence. Doesn't mean the claims so far are fake, but nothing actionable has come out just yet. He would be insane to draw attention to something which, rightly or wrongly, is at the moment just unsubstantiated rumour. With the best will in the world, I feel like the young women attempting to catalogue these claims don't necessarily understand what is needed to get these claims taken seriously.
I'm very inclined to agree with this strongly. The only thing I would add is that we can't even be sure that there are multiple people cataloguing these claims. Given that the most legally problematic ones appear to have evidence fabricated, somebody going to the level of faking pictures and screenshots might have made multiple reports from multiple accounts. Not to say that's definitely the case, just a possibility.

The whole debacle I think leaves most of us uncomfortable, but those making the allegations via social media appear to have motives other than a) seeking the virtuous truth for truth's sake (otherwise the falsified evidence would be apologised for/explained) and b) looking out for victims of abuse, as per the public requests for private individuals to give information.

Now an accuser with dubious motives/methodology is not in and of itself proof of innocence, but if I were in Graham's position first thing I would try to do is follow legal advice/recourse and the first thing any competent lawyer would advise is for him to not comment publicly to avoid influencing a jury. So for me the absence of a statement indicates nothing.

For those after some external signs as to how valid the allegations are, personally I lean on the fact that Duran Duran are still using him in their promotion, they are still a huge band, who could easily diminish his role as a session musician on the album if they felt his reputation might become toxic. This doesn't necessarily mean DD are in the right etc, but they have nothing to gain really by pushing his importance to the latest album and a lot to lose, which on balance of probability indicates the industry are very likely to think he is innocent of anything illegal.

JackS

Post by JackS » 06 Dec 2021, 12:18

The presumption of guilt on social media does concern me a little bit. It is so difficult. You obviously want to believe claims made by individuals, but on the other hand it is very easy for one or many people to wreck someone's career online with enough noise and fabricated screenshots. Snowballed by people demanding an 'apology' when he may not have even done anything wrong.

The stories are worrying but the evidence lacking, so at this moment in time GC has significant benefit of the doubt from me, and I hope he is doing ok given all the noise.

Completely agree that he needs to stay silent though, until any compelling evidence appears or police investigation happens... it will just draw attention to something that may be completely false.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 06 Dec 2021, 12:39

At the risk of sounding like I am very much part of a different generation, and in doing so not meaning to disrespect younger people, this seems a useful illustration of just how much has changed since the 90s in terms of people's ideas around behaviour. To be honest, I didn't even know that Blur had teenage fans anymore (much less a "fandom" - are we part of the fandom??), but what's fascinating is the amount of moral complexity which exists these days. Old notions of innocent until proven guilty have been replaced with a 'believe-the-victim' policy (which I understand and sympathise with). Traditional ideas of consent have been challenged by age disparities and power imbalances. Monogomy and adultery are increasingly public, rather than private, concepts. And there is a clear expectation that people should be held publicly accountable for their actions and misdeeds. And tellingly, you can see, repeatedly, an overwhelming sense of vulnerability in the face of repeat patterns of male behaviour. I saw one young teenager speculate that "all four" members of Blur likely have "credible rape cases brewing". (This way of thinking is madness). Whether the allegations against Graham have any validity or not, it's clear that there's been a complete collapse of trust between fans and artists. It's a sorry situation.

John_d

Post by John_d » 06 Dec 2021, 13:30

jonathas wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 12:39
At the risk of sounding like I am very much part of a different generation, and in doing so not meaning to disrespect younger people, this seems a useful illustration of just how much has changed since the 90s in terms of people's ideas around behaviour. To be honest, I didn't even know that Blur had teenage fans anymore (much less a "fandom" - are we part of the fandom??), but what's fascinating is the amount of moral complexity which exists these days. Old notions of innocent until proven guilty have been replaced with a 'believe-the-victim' policy (which I understand and sympathise with). Traditional ideas of consent have been challenged by age disparities and power imbalances. Monogomy and adultery are increasingly public, rather than private, concepts. And there is a clear expectation that people should be held publicly accountable for their actions and misdeeds. And tellingly, you can see, repeatedly, an overwhelming sense of vulnerability in the face of repeat patterns of male behaviour. I saw one young teenager speculate that "all four" members of Blur likely have "credible rape cases brewing". (This way of thinking is madness). Whether the allegations against Graham have any validity or not, it's clear that there's been a complete collapse of trust between fans and artists. It's a sorry situation.
Very well put. Much better than I could have put it. I agree with you. And yes, I think we are in the "Blur Fandom" :lol: