Superstate by Graham Coxon

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

PaulG

Re: Superstate by Graham Coxon

Post by PaulG » 29 Oct 2021, 11:40

vitekm wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 19:19
PaulG wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 12:50
JackS wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 11:01
Communication on this release has been very poor
One of the reasons I decided not to order was the rather ambiguous information. I love the idea of the project and was interested in the deluxe or super deluxe but I couldn't justify it to myself without at least seeing some of the artwork and hearing some of the music. The way it seems to have been handled has put me off even more.
You can see some of the artwork and hear some music before ordering, right? Or you mean some special features exlusive to deluxe or super deluxe version?.
My point was that I was only able to listen to the music and see some artwork after release, and for me the moment had passed by then. When the preorder went up there was no artwork or music. I liked the idea of the Super Deluxe signed graphic novel but wasn't going to spend £130 on it without seeing some artwork, particularly as I hadn't seen any of the artists' work.

They've been sharing some of the artwork on the official Blur facebook page but that's only been relatively recently and, for me, it's a bit uninspiring. I've also listened to the album a couple of times on Amazon Music and whilst some of it's great there's a fair chunk of it that isn't really to my taste. To be fair I'd probably get into it if I listened a few more times.

I don't feel inspired enough to buy the softcover graphic novel and album download so there's just no way I'm going to fork out for either deluxe edition.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » 29 Oct 2021, 11:43

Ian_D wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 10:19
Having received the book, I haven’t had time to read it, but it looks like the artists all dashed the work off quickly. It’s obviously far better than anything I could draw but it looks like this was a low paying gig for them and thus “good enough” not as good as possible would do - same sort of quality you’d expect from a weekly comic like the Beano.
I love the concept of Superstate but do find the artwork pretty basic. I'd love to have seen something more stylised.
Ian_D wrote:
I don’t really care about this much; I wanted a physical copy of the album. So far I paid 80 quid or so and didn’t get one. I feel I should have cancelled my order outright and just got a download.
Have you followed this up with the supplier? It's still advertised on the website that the deluxe edition comes with the vinyl so I'm astonished you haven't received it.

JackS

Post by JackS » 29 Oct 2021, 12:24

I've emailed Z2 yesterday about the missing vinyl and yet to receive a reply

edit: vinyl arrived today, in a separate package. Strange way of doing things but happy to have it at last

Ian_D

Post by Ian_D » 29 Oct 2021, 14:43

PaulG wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 11:43
Ian_D wrote:
Having received the book, I haven’t had time to read it, but it looks like the artists all dashed the work off quickly. It’s obviously far better than anything I could draw but it looks like this was a low paying gig for them and thus “good enough” not as good as possible would do - same sort of quality you’d expect from a weekly comic like the Beano.
I love the concept of Superstate but do find the artwork pretty basic. I'd love to have seen something more stylised.
Ian_D wrote:
I don’t really care about this much; I wanted a physical copy of the album. So far I paid 80 quid or so and didn’t get one. I feel I should have cancelled my order outright and just got a download.
Have you followed this up with the supplier? It's still advertised on the website that the deluxe edition comes with the vinyl so I'm astonished you haven't received it.
So was I! I went out to the bins to check I hadn’t missed it in the packaging. I have emailed Z2 but they have not responded yet.

Basically if you haven’t bought it don’t and definitely never buy anything from Z2.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 29 Oct 2021, 17:27

JackS wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 12:24
I've emailed Z2 yesterday about the missing vinyl and yet to receive a reply

edit: vinyl arrived today, in a separate package. Strange way of doing things but happy to have it at last
Good to hear that. Are there any more detailed liner notes for individual songs?

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Nov 2021, 09:38

Ian_D wrote:
I wanted a physical copy of the album. So far I paid 80 quid or so and didn’t get one. I feel I should have cancelled my order outright and just got a download.
I agree - I am interested in the music, less-so the entire package which is expensive for something I won't really have time to read :|
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

thespider

Post by thespider » 13 Nov 2021, 12:20

Considering it's his best album since at least Spinning Top, I think the way it's been released has been completely and utterly lame. To the best of my knowledge, there's no CD. The feedback here is ridiculous.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 13 Nov 2021, 19:52

thespider wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 12:20
Considering it's his best album since at least Spinning Top, I think the way it's been released has been completely and utterly lame. To the best of my knowledge, there's no CD. The feedback here is ridiculous.

Part of the problem is that it's not considered a regular album without proper physical release.

Other people may be discouraged by the label "soundtrack". They expect some instrumentals, not real songs. The persona of Superstate is also confusing, people may think it's a project where Graham just plays the guitar, while in fact he's the author of all songs.

And a lot of people simply don't know about it, because there is almost no promotion. I have no idea where is the problem. When compared to the support for Damon's album, the contrast is enormous. Of course, Damon as a solo artist is simply bigger act than Graham. But even so, I do not understand that the management cant ensure (or help to get...) some greater response in the press, some more appearances than just 2 interviews at BBC 6, some sessions, whatever...

And even if the promotion was top notch, some Blur fans will still not be interested. Thats natural. Not all Beatles fans were interested in G. Harrison's solo albums...

thespider

Post by thespider » 15 Nov 2021, 20:44

Yeah. It's a genuine shame because Superstate is fantastic and easily one of the best albums of the year. If "I Dont To Wait For You" or "Astral Light" had been released 15 years ago, I guarantee they would have been top 30 hit singles. Massive tunes. But sadly rock music doesn't get in the top 40 anymore.

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 16 Nov 2021, 05:34

I read the entire book that came with the LP and it was definitely interesting. I think it would have been cool if Graham had done a short animated film version of each story/song. I was trying to listen while reading, but the songs turned over faster than I could read each story!

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 18 Nov 2021, 15:21

Only just noticed that Yoga Town was a remake of Entertain Me (small harmonic details set apart)... ;)

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 26 Nov 2021, 16:58

Third single and official video from Superstate arrives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXixxB1dH9M