TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Postby stephen » 07 Nov 2018, 11:03

It sounds like they were crying when they wrote that :lol:
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby northernmonkey » 07 Nov 2018, 11:52

Ouch!! Bad review. I am not expecting the album to score highly across the board, but from what I have heard of the two released tracks I think it is a little harsh to say these are little more than demo's. I actually rate the production on the two tracks we have heard so far, can't imagine this taking a dive, even if the unheard songs aren't up to much.
northernmonkey

Postby Neal Zeal » 07 Nov 2018, 12:35

northernmonkey wrote:Ouch!! Bad review. I am not expecting the album to score highly across the board, but from what I have heard of the two released tracks I think it is a little harsh to say these are little more than demo's. I actually rate the production on the two tracks we have heard so far, can't imagine this taking a dive, even if the unheard songs aren't up to much.

Well he's described the debut as 'marginally more interesting' which suggests he didn't like that much either but...
As I said before, the main music mags can't really afford to piss Damon off so probably added a star to their reviews suggesting it's really a 3/5. The national newspapers tend to be more honest as their circulation doesn't depend on pop-star interviews. So we'll get a true feel for the album's worth either this Friday or next when most newspapers publish their reviews...
Neal Zeal

Postby Veikko » 07 Nov 2018, 13:23

The Arts Desk wrote:they are purposely avoiding picking up on anything that faintly resembles a groove, as they churn out unfinished and unfocused tunes

If you ask me, the two singles sound almost too polished production wise (I miss the rough guitars of the debut album!). Of course the rest of the Merrie Land may be totally different...
Veikko
Site Admin

Postby Mali » 07 Nov 2018, 14:53

Ah but Veikko its the essence of these tracks which is the beauty which I feel many people are missing the point of. Its the depiction of society and the picture of social change. Its not about making hit records and for the music elite. Its for the pure love of music and its ability to portray the now, now!!! Its great that people wish to share their opinions and quite right too. But don't get too deep about it or disappointed. Its the journey which music take us but also the journey of where we will be after next March!!!! For me these two tracks paint the texture of this country with reflective notes of arguable the best blur record made being 'Modern Life is Rubbish'. Here's to hopefully a great night it Hackney!!!
Mali

Postby lumaka » 07 Nov 2018, 19:54

lumaka

Postby Consigliere_11 » 08 Nov 2018, 20:42

The division about this record is making me excited for whatever reason :) The material Damon has been making for the past 5 years has been kind of... safe, I’d say, more or less. So, while I’m not a big fan of Gun to Head, I think it provides some fresh perspective on what Damon songs/writes/composes, and I think that is good. So, yeah, the album will definitely be a divisive one - I just wonder if I’ll like it or hate it!
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)
Consigliere_11

Postby rich » 09 Nov 2018, 11:43

there's a good John Harris interview in today's G2 https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... tle-island

“It has a sense of, ‘We rely on each other’,” says Albarn. “We live on this stroppy little island, and we need to talk to each other. But have we not just spent the last couple of years going round in circles? As Danny Dyer said, it’s a mad riddle. Or you could say it’s an Anglo-Saxistentialist crisis.”

What does he mean? “I was looking through stuff not that long ago, and I found a front page of the Sun from the Britpop era. I’d written on a bit of it in Biro when I was doing Parklife: ‘Anglo-Saxistentalism’. I thought: ‘That’s weird – that’s what I’m talking about now.’ In the most crass form, we say we want our country back. But you need to know what your country is before you want it back. And part of that is understanding who we are. We’re Vikings. We’re Anglo-Saxons. We’re French, Belgian, Nigerian, Caribbean, Ghanian, Somalian, Pakistani. To say, ‘We’re just this’ seems ridiculous to me. That’s all. That’s my biggest problem with [Brexit]: don’t limit yourself, guys. I don’t think we can afford to have that attitude. We need to be very outward-looking.”

He returns to Blackpool, or somewhere like it. “That’s why we have all those piers. That’s a kind of metaphor for trying to reach out into the world.”
rich

Postby lumaka » 09 Nov 2018, 13:18

Great article ^
(+900 comments on the Guardian page)

The Poison Tree preview ❤️

audio --> https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp9aatdBiwn/
lyrics --> https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp9aZKhBglc/
lumaka

Postby Renny » 09 Nov 2018, 14:04

That sounds amazing! It's going to be a long week!
Renny

Postby tom_cas1 » 09 Nov 2018, 14:19

The Poison Tree sounds much better than the other two. Love it. That makes me feel better as I still hadn’t warmed to the others yet.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby tom_cas1 » 09 Nov 2018, 14:20

Also my guess is they’ll release previews of every song on Instagram every day until release day.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

PreviousNext

Return to Blur