White Town Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

White Town Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Jun 2018, 18:06

Anyone ever get into him? I know most of you consider him a one-hit wonder with "Your Woman", but that's not even the best track from his 1997 album, Women in Technology".... I guarantee you'd be blown away by listening to that album in its entirety!

In fact though, he recently released an updated version of "Your Woman" celebrating that song's 20th anniversary and it's WONDERFUL! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QVIjNquTJU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdvertBreak

Re: White Town Thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 17 Jun 2018, 23:02

I think White Town is not only the best song on Women in Technology, but one of the best songs of all time

Like seriously...its breathtaking. I would have killed to have written it, and produced it. Its more than worthy of Magnetic Fields/Space/Pulp/Saint Etienne or whoever at their most witty and magpie. And yeah I love White Town, and I love Jyoti as a guy too, he seems very friendly and willing speak to his fans. I was going to comment on the White Town 1917 video (which yeah I love too) a while ago but I couldn't think of anything to say.

The ultimate word on Your Woman is this link. The review at the top of the page by Tom Ewing is the launchpad and then there's a great wealth of comments, some referring to the review but mostly in general about the song itself, including several from mr White Town himself near the end. It helps put the song in a variety of contexts (DIY-pop-on-a-major-label, the concept of a viral hit, among others) Absolutely fascinating read. http://freakytrigger.co.uk/popular/2014 ... l#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 20 Jun 2018, 07:03

I remember the single well - indeed I bought it at the time. Mark (Radcliffe) & Marc (Reilly) played it regularly on their show - IIRC at that time they switched from evening Radio One to the Breakfast Show, when Chris Evans had one of his self-importance trips.

I didn't buy the album and I don't recall it. Unlike the single, I don't think it was too high profile in the UK.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 20 Jun 2018, 13:15

I used to love that song! Thanks for reminding me of it!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Jun 2018, 01:45

I was 20 when "Your Woman" was initially released and my friends and I would go clubbing every Thursday night and we'd dance our arses off to this song! I always saw on the video heavily on rotation here in the States on MTV and also it was extensively played on the radio. I sometimes would purchase c.d.s based on only one song, but for some reason diddn't purchase "Women In Technology" at the time and now I wish I had. I was heavily getting into Electronic music around that time including Cornershop who fused Punabi style music like White Town incorporated into his tracks....

That album sounds even fresher today than it did back then and would chart extremely well if re-issued in some manner.....

And I agree with AdvertBreak, Jyoti is awesome... I corresponded him briefly on his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/JyotiMishra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I joked around with him how I never noticed for whatever reason it was indeed his image on the t.v. screen that is shown all throughout the "Your Woman" video!

I love the "White Town" song as well...... from start to finish that album has no weaknesses whatsoever.. It's again one of those "must listens"!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 Jun 2018, 05:22

I can believe that it is a good album. Not sure why it didn't do well in the UK.

I think the 'Your Woman' single did well because the two DJs had been playing it on their Radio One evening show - they tended to champion indie records.

When they got their sudden promotion to the Breakfast Show, they took the single with them and it got exposure on the most popular radio show in the UK. It went straight to no.1 on its week of release.

It might have stayed there longer, but the following week, the new Blur single was released.... :)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 26 Jun 2018, 10:19

AdvertBreak wrote:I think White Town is not only the best song on Women in Technology, but one of the best songs of all time
Sorry I meant Your Woman.

Not White Town, which is also a song on the album obviously. I was just tired so I wasn't really paying attention.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Jul 2018, 02:41

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I can believe that it is a good album. Not sure why it didn't do well in the UK.

I think the 'Your Woman' single did well because the two DJs had been playing it on their Radio One evening show - they tended to champion indie records.

When they got their sudden promotion to the Breakfast Show, they took the single with them and it got exposure on the most popular radio show in the UK. It went straight to no.1 on its week of release.

It might have stayed there longer, but the following week, the new Blur single was released.... :)
I believe "Women In Technology" back in at the time of its initial release was WAY ahead of its time! I bet it would chart very highly now if it was somehow reissued.

AdvertBreak, that's an honest mistake..... The self-titled track is brilliant as well.... This album is so unblemished! I must check-out the rest of his catalog. You also must check out another artist who I might have mentioned before within this forum, but I have since lost track and that is Money Mark. He formerly was associated with the Beastie Boys, but made a name of himself solo.... He came out around the same time White Town did and also his music has always been ahead of its time!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 04 Jul 2018, 05:59

Yes, as with White Town, I remember the two Marc's (Radcliffe + Riley) playing Money Mark quite a lot on evening Radio One.

He had a kind of 'DIY feel' to his music and packaging - I remember (I presumed for budgetary reasons) that he had card CD sleeves, even for albums.

I thought I had bought his UK single 'Cry' (1995) but on checking I can't find it in my collection. His album 'Mark's Keyboard Repair' rings a bell as well, but I don't have that either :?

I did buy the 'Push The Button' album (1998). I quite recently came across it again and enjoyed it. The 'Hand In Your Head' single with its distinct keyboard intro got daytime Radio One airplay from e.g. Jo Whiley and was a UK top 40 hit.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Jul 2018, 19:47

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, as with White Town, I remember the two Marc's (Radcliffe + Riley) playing Money Mark quite a lot on evening Radio One.

He had a kind of 'DIY feel' to his music and packaging - I remember (I presumed for budgetary reasons) that he had card CD sleeves, even for albums.

I thought I had bought his UK single 'Cry' (1995) but on checking I can't find it in my collection. His album 'Mark's Keyboard Repair' rings a bell as well, but I don't have that either :?

I did buy the 'Push The Button' album (1998). I quite recently came across it again and enjoyed it. The 'Hand In Your Head' single with its distinct keyboard intro got daytime Radio One airplay from e.g. Jo Whiley and was a UK top 40 hit.

"Hand In Your Head" was the first time I got exposed to Money Mark and I promptly went out and purchased the 1998 album it comes from, "Push The Button". Some tracks he's really pop oriented (you can tell he's heavily influenced by John Lennon) and then other tracks he's very experimental.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Jul 2018, 05:11

A listenable album. :)