Return of Vampire Weekend, June 2018

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Neal Zeal

Return of Vampire Weekend, June 2018

Post by Neal Zeal » 04 Jun 2018, 08:28

I think it's been 5 years since the last album so it's all a little overdue. No official word of new stuff but a tour begins this month so I expect it's a certainty.
They're probably my favourite 'new' band of the last 10 years so I am v much looking forward to this, altho I think they've lost a songwriter in the interim. Had them down as a bit of an American Blur. Arty and offbeat but with a love of pop music. Imaginative arrangements but with great melodies at the heart of it all. And a nice line in Damon-esque melancholia. Bring on the new album!
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 04 Jun 2018, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Rubi

Re: Return of Vampire Weekend, June 2018

Post by Rubi » 04 Jun 2018, 11:20

Yep, one of my favorite acts of the last decade or so as well. Three really good albums under their sleeve. Looking forward to what they’ll bring next. Hopefully it’s something different in sound and style.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 05 Jun 2018, 12:00

Absolutely love Contra. The other two records are good too but I think that album manages to balance the spaciousness and exotic musical palette of the first record with the more dense and lush sound of the third one, and it does so with some of the band's best tracks (the Run/Cousins/Giving up the Gun/Diplomat's Son sequence is pretty flawless).

Looking forward to the new one.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 07 Jun 2018, 04:00

Easily one of my favorite bands. They have soundtracked so many important times in my life, which is something I can only say for bands like blur, the Smiths, and a handful of others. Cannot wait for new material. Ezra has said on instagram that the album is 95% done... how much longer must we wait!

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 17 Jun 2018, 22:10

Well they made their live comeback this w/e. Looks like they just played the whole of the first album plus a couple of more recent ones (although still over 5 years old). Shame. Even if the new album is nearly done I'd be surprised if it comes out this year.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 04 Oct 2018, 13:55

Jesus Christ, waiting for LP4 has been painful. Will it ever come out? But I suppose the wait makes sense, since Ezra and Rashida Jones apparently had a baby in August. Impressive that they kept it secret!

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 18 Jan 2019, 09:51

Ezra announced on Instagram that they are releasing a double album in a few months time, with 2 tracks released each month leading up to it(starting from next week!). Now all that's left to do is pray that it isn't a disappointment... The wait has been long, but so far Ezra and co have been pretty faultless.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 20 Jan 2019, 18:06

Yeah it's exciting stuff, and not a moment too soon!
A cause for concern, though, is that one of their main songwriters jumped ship some time ago.
Think they still have some of his compositions on the new album (written before he left) but not many.
I don't know how important his songwriting was to their overall song quality.
Also, hope they choose a better lead single this time (if there is one).
Diane Young is one of my least favourite songs of theirs.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » Today, 13:26

I think Rostam has just as much input on this as he did on previous records. Ezra said recently they both had a conversation at his house about it one day and they both decided that Rostam being a fully fledged member of the band wasn't necessary to his collaboration and input in Vampire Weekend. I just think he didn't want touring duties to get in the way of his solo ambitions.

I would be surprised if the album isn't of a high standard. Ezra and Rostam are far too switched on. Having said that, I thought the same of Arcade Fire before that last album of theirs... Excited anyway!