Abba to release new music in 2018

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Neal Zeal

Abba to release new music in 2018

Post by Neal Zeal » 27 Apr 2018, 21:57

If you'd asked me at any point over the last 20 years to list my three favourite pop groups of all time, I'd have said Blur, The Smiths and Abba. So, as you can probably guess, I'm rather pleased at today's music news!
And I expect the two new songs will be pretty flipping good. Benny and Bjorn have continued (if infrequently) to write some great melodies over the years, and the two women still have lovely singing voices.
Bring it on!

Mallard No. 22

Re: Abba to release new music in 2018

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 28 Apr 2018, 04:26

Yes I agree. I must say I am surprised it is happening, but the 'virtual live show' negates the stress of touring for them.

Good luck to them, they had a great run of singles + albums the first time around :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 01 May 2018, 18:15

This could either go really, really good or really bad.

I love ABBA. They had great pop songs, but I hope they don't come back with slow "older people" music. I'm not saying I want them to come out with music that 20 year olds produce now, just don't want it to sounds like slow adult contemporary music. I hope it's fresh good quality pop music.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 01 May 2018, 18:20

15 years too late.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 03 May 2018, 22:54

MsMagicAmerica wrote:This could either go really, really good or really bad.

I love ABBA. They had great pop songs, but I hope they don't come back with slow "older people" music. I'm not saying I want them to come out with music that 20 year olds produce now, just don't want it to sounds like slow adult contemporary music. I hope it's fresh good quality pop music.
I'm not convinced that it'll either be really bad or really good (although I know others have said likewise). An album or a tour perhaps could be, but two carefully chosen new songs presented in recorded form are bound to be at least pretty good. Listen to anything Benny and Bjorn have written in the last 10 years. They can still write those magical melodies, and Agnetha at least still has a great voice e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jQF2VUghIw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apparently, of the two new songs, one is a slow thing with a 6/8 time signature that both women sing together, and the other is more upbeat. Bjorn said that one sounds like it was written in the 1970s, and the other is more of a modern take on things, whatever that means. I can't wait to hear them!
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 04 May 2018, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 03 May 2018, 22:59

tom_cas1 wrote:15 years too late.
Any particular reason why 15 years?
The big change in their fortunes came in the early 1990s when Abba Gold was released, sold tens of millions worldwide, and all the critical disdain their songs had once attracted just evaporated, so perhaps that would have been the best time to get back together.
But yes, it is a shame they've waited this long. Just checked Wikipedia - Agnetha is the youngest at 68 and Bjorn the oldest at 73. Better now, though, than in 10 or even 5 years' time.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 May 2018, 04:59

As MsMagicAmerica says, it would be jarring if they tried to sound like 20 year-olds, or boring if they sounded their age.

And as Tom suggests, the 70s revival that was beginning around the time of 'Abba Gold' peaked in the late 90s-early 2000s when acts like Steps had huge hits influenced by e.g. Abba and The Bee Gees.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 13 May 2018, 22:52

Been trying to hunt down live versions of Abba songs.
It's not easy as they didn't tour much, and much of their TV stuff was mimed which I guess was pretty normal back then.
Here's my favourite discovery to date though - it's a beauty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sdcbHinIk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 May 2018, 05:46

Like The Beatles, they reached a fame so big, that touring became too much.

I think the group members will have been accomplished live performers, prior to their international fame.