Flock Of Seagulls Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

Flock Of Seagulls Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Jan 2018, 16:07

I've been on a "New Wave" kick recently and have been listening to them since yesterday for the first time in years and they're BEYOND just "I Ran". What a solid band the original/classic line-up was! Paul Reynolds shined on guitar and the Score brothers were great and cannot forget about how brilliant a bassist Frank Maudsley is.

Who else is a fan of theirs?

Mallard No. 22

Re: Flock Of Seagulls Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 Jan 2018, 06:26

I always thought that 'The More You Live The More You Love' should have been a bigger hit in the UK.

They seemed to epitomise naff fashions of the period, and took stick for this, certainly in the UK.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Jan 2018, 18:00

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I always thought that 'The More You Live The More You Love' should have been a bigger hit in the UK.

They seemed to epitomise naff fashions of the period, and took stick for this, certainly in the UK.

Yeah... people tended to focus more on their appearance and not take them too seriously. The main issues were the Score brothers always feuded and then Paul Reynolds' burnt-out lead to the original/classic line-up's demise. I believe their sound really aged considerably well. Their debut album was vastly underrated and they were very amazing live! Just too bad several take them as a joke, but they had a lot more substance than several are willing to give them credit for.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jan 2018, 07:29

They weren't the only artist from that period who suffered as fashion victims in retrospect.

E.g. Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw and King.

Paul King was interviewed recently for the 'Top of the Pops: The Story of 1985' documentary on BBC4, and he admitted as such.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Jan 2018, 15:06

Mallard No. 22 wrote:They weren't the only artist from that period who suffered as fashion victims in retrospect.

E.g. Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw and King.

Paul King was interviewed recently for the 'Top of the Pops: The Story of 1985' documentary on BBC4, and he admitted as such.
First, I must admit that I never heard King. Howard Jones I thought more took him seriously, but again perhaps just in the States? Nik Kershaw was essentially just a one-hit wonder here.

Back to AFOS. Even when they tried to reunite in 2004 they still had issues w/guitarist Paul Reynolds reverting back to drugs and alcohol. He just couldn't handle the pressure again of touring. They really had potential to be one of the best 80s bands and it is very unfortunate they never fully evolved like they could have!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Feb 2018, 07:24

Yes, Depeche Mode seemed to do what AFOS couldn't do.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Feb 2018, 17:02

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, Depeche Mode seemed to do what AFOS couldn't do.
Depeche Mode didn't seem to have that inner-band strife that AFOS had. Gore and Gahan have always known to push each other's buttons in the best possible way.

I guess the Score brothers remain close to this day since they briefly reunited in 2003 and their guitarist, Paul Reynolds personal demons always surfaced while back in the spotlight. He is such an underrated guitarist, just listen to how he even made "I Ran" stand out more than just Mike Score's keyboards.

This is the full episode of Bands Reunited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjZ_SJna14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a clip of their performance... They still had that chemistry! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHhEvVxhrt8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Jun 2018, 17:39

The "Classic 4" have since reunited yet again and I hope this leads to something further.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNmppnfgBB0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;