Steven P Morrissey - new album out in November

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Neal Zeal

Re: Steven P Morrissey - new album out in November

Post by Neal Zeal » 22 Sep 2017, 08:09

I've only heard it about three times but I do quite like it.
Thought they might have released a song with a bigger chorus, though, as first single.
Mallard - the Morrissey sound changed a lot on the last album (2014) with a lot less chug-rock guitar and more use of keyboards, acoustic/spanish guitars, trumpets, accordions, woodwind etc. It's the same songwriters and producers this time so will probably have a similar feel to the last album but, yes, a lot different to what he was doing pre-2014.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 26 Sep 2017, 03:18

Spent the Day in Bed is Radio X's record of the week. Moz is also due an appearance on Jools Holland in the coming week or two, and they're finishing up a music video with Joey Barton and Alan Bennet for (presumably) Spent the Day in Bed.

Neal Zeal, thoughts on the promotion so far? Seems like BMG are doing a decent job. Wonder how commercially successful Low in High School may be... :?:

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 26 Sep 2017, 20:24

aldamasta wrote:Spent the Day in Bed is Radio X's record of the week. Moz is also due an appearance on Jools Holland in the coming week or two, and they're finishing up a music video with Joey Barton and Alan Bennet for (presumably) Spent the Day in Bed.

Neal Zeal, thoughts on the promotion so far? Seems like BMG are doing a decent job. Wonder how commercially successful Low in High School may be... :?:
Yes, it's looking pretty good. Absolute Radio have started playing the single on their daytime shows - they haven't done that for one of his since First of the Gang. If Radio 2 playlist it too, it'll be his biggest airplay hit since 2004.
Hard to know how much credit a record company can take. An album just needs 2 or 3 very catchy/melodic songs that stations are happy to play. If it hasn't got any, there's not much any record company can do (the problem with the recent Gorillaz album, I think).
It's interesting that we're going to hear some of the new songs for the first time on recorded TV/radio shows over the next week. That's hardly happened before.
Another positive is that there are real strings (violin, viola) on this album which he's hardly done at all since the Viva Hate era (just the odd synth string) so I'm really looking forward to hearing that.
I'm a little worried that he's written songs about Israel and Tel/Aviv. Whatever one's views on Israel, it's a very complex topic and Morrissey has proved himself to be pretty clueless about international/political issues in recent times.
Anyway, I am just relishing the build-up for a new Morrissey album. I don't think many people will have thought he could hold things together for this long (and still be putting out new stuff) say 20 years ago. Go Moz!

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 27 Sep 2017, 16:17

Very insightful, thanks for that. I'm excited at all of the hype Moz is generating... viva hate, viva Moz! Can't wait to see him on Jools and the BBCR6 fest. And I look forward to the discussions to come on Low in High School...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Sep 2017, 06:48

Thank you for the insight, Neal Zeal :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 29 Sep 2017, 17:08

Which version are you all intending to buy? There are quite a few different versions/bundles. A 7" box set, four different colors of vinyl, a cassette, cd...

I like the blue vinyl the best, but it's the French version (meaning all the notes and lyrics are in French.) I study Spanish, so I'm tempted to get the Spanish version although I don't like the orange vinyl as much.... hmmm! https://uk.mporium.org/collections/music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 30 Sep 2017, 20:28

Well the songwriters for the new album have now been revealed. Includes 4 people writing the music, more than ever before on a Morrissey album, including one new contributor, his bass player Mando Lopez. This really raises hopes for the quality of the music. You'd think that with so many contributing, the chosen compositions should be pretty good. His keyboard player gets the credit for the lead single, and the closing song on the album - quite an honour. And long term collaborator, Boz Boorer, has written 4 of the songs.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 01 Oct 2017, 17:50

Very interesting! Yes that does seem to be promising. Boz wrote the best song on World Peace IMO, Staircase at the University. If he can crank out another great pop tune like that (hopefully with some better lyrics from Moz, though), I'll be very happy.

And if Boz cranks out another Now My Heart is Full or Speedway quality song, I'll be as happy as I could possibly be!

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 02 Oct 2017, 20:37

I've not heard the 6 music recording yet but a very encouraging review here. One song described as having his best chorus since First of the Gang, and another as the loveliest song he's sung for years. November 17th, please hurry up!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concer ... aida-vale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 02 Oct 2017, 20:41

Ps yes, agree about Staircase. A cracking piece of music but a little let down by some duff lyrics. 'Jacky' is getting a lot of glowing reviews on Moz website, and I think that's one of Boz's.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 03 Oct 2017, 04:19

I have watched almost all of the video but not every bit, yet. Here's a link for those interested! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtpXvbHe82Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a few good things from this performance (ignoring the UKIP comments......) Spent the Day sounded lovely live, and there are some good new songs from Low in High School. But for me, the BEST part came after the video recording was over, when he played All The Young People Must Fall in Love. Best Moz song since First of the Gang for sure, IMO. Haven't had love at first listen with a Moz song in a long time like I have with this tune. Here's a download link courtesy of some good folks over at Morrissey-Solo! https://www.sendspace.com/file/bbgy7w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Also adore Home Is A Question Mark. I liked it fine until the end, and then I began to love it. Sounds absolutely gorgeous. Lush strings sounds behind Moz singing "And if I ever get there... will you even need me?"

Eager to see what you think, Neal Zeal!

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 06 Oct 2017, 16:11

This seems like a very good sign for Moz success... Radio 2 has A-listed Spent the Day in Bed! Now if the next single can be All the Young People Must Fall in Love, and have it come out right around the release of Low in High School, I'd say this album will do just fine on the charts.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 06 Oct 2017, 21:51

aldamasta wrote:I have watched almost all of the video but not every bit, yet. Here's a link for those interested! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtpXvbHe82Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a few good things from this performance (ignoring the UKIP comments......) Spent the Day sounded lovely live, and there are some good new songs from Low in High School. But for me, the BEST part came after the video recording was over, when he played All The Young People Must Fall in Love. Best Moz song since First of the Gang for sure, IMO. Haven't had love at first listen with a Moz song in a long time like I have with this tune. Here's a download link courtesy of some good folks over at Morrissey-Solo! https://www.sendspace.com/file/bbgy7w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Also adore Home Is A Question Mark. I liked it fine until the end, and then I began to love it. Sounds absolutely gorgeous. Lush strings sounds behind Moz singing "And if I ever get there... will you even need me?"

Eager to see what you think, Neal Zeal!
Not really wanting to listen to the new songs before the album's out but I've heard 'All the young people' a couple of times. Love it! Nice to hear such a different rhythm and arrangement to his usual stuff. And yes, the Radio 2 A-list will massively boost the album's fortunes (none of the Magic Whip songs managed this). If the 6 songs we've yet to hear are as good as the first batch, it'll probably go down as his best album since the early/mid 90s.
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 07 Oct 2017, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 07 Oct 2017, 00:08

Feels like it's already gonna be my favorite since Vauxhall, which is a very good sign. Vauxhall & I is one of my favorite albums of ALL time.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 11 Oct 2017, 19:37

Sounds like a new song was aired in Germany tonight - 'My Love I'd do anything for you'
Initial reactions - favourable!