RIP Chris Cornell

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Post by Mark72 » 23 Jul 2017, 20:26

Really sad to hear that Chester Bennington has passed on what would of been Chris Cornell's birthday. Very sad for all concerned.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Jul 2017, 01:48

Mark72 wrote:Really sad to hear that Chester Bennington has passed on what would of been Chris Cornell's birthday. Very sad for all concerned.

Yeah... still gutted on this..... Chester was originally from Phoenix and left quite legacy... He did extremely well filling in for Scott Weiland as singer of STP and Linkin Park was always a solid band... Plus, he was very close to Cornell and had quite an admiration for him... Here are the two together..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_v1SLIt01Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 28 Jul 2017, 05:43

Yes indeed. I never got fully into the music of these guys, but still sad that rock stars die in their prime.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 04 Aug 2017, 01:40

This hit harder than Chris Cornell's death believe or not... Considering Linkin Park's Hyprid Theory was the first album I ever got into and it introduced me into the idea of 'albums' (not vinyl's, just albums as a good collection of songs, yknow?).. Of course, I was into songs and stuff but this sound was so new to me since I was like 5 or 6 yrs old when I got it. I think.. Before music was just songs here and there but Hybrid Theory was the first cd where it was like a whole piece of art, an album ( in my mind ). I was obsessed with the band for a couple years. Years went on and I got into other bands like Korn and Slipknot.... leading up eventually to my interest in Gorillaz when at that point my whole musical interest shifted completely and I had a eureka type moment.
But anyway, it's very sad about Chester because I hadn't listened to LP in years until his death and of course naturally I go back and listen to the first 2 albums fill me up with nostalgia of a time when I first discovered music, melody and the idea of "albums". They were great songs undeniably and everytime Chester sang an amazing melody would come out. Of course they lost it and put out crap to mediocre albums after their 2nd album but people loved them and especially Chester... What a shame
As weird as it is, most people's introduction to the idea of albums is with The Beatles but for me it was Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory... I guess you can tell i'm in my early 20's and grew up when nu metal was a thing
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Aug 2017, 04:58

metalhipslop wrote:This hit harder than Chris Cornell's death believe or not... Considering Linkin Park's Hyprid Theory was the first album I ever got into and it introduced me into the idea of 'albums'....

.... it's very sad about Chester because I hadn't listened to LP in years until his death and of course naturally I go back and listen to the first 2 albums fill me up with nostalgia of a time when I first discovered music, melody and the idea of "albums"....

....As weird as it is, most people's introduction to the idea of albums is with The Beatles but for me it was Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory... I guess you can tell i'm in my early 20's and grew up when nu metal was a thing
Fair enough, I never got into nu metal - it was emerging as my youth was reaching its end.

But I understand entirely about the albums that help you 'discover music'. I was probably introduced to albums in childhood via e.g. The Beatles and Wings. And this led into the work of subsequent artists when I was in my teens/twenties.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."