NIRVANA

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

dparrott

Re: NIRVANA

Post by dparrott » 06 May 2017, 05:32

metalhipslop wrote: like A SONG by BLUR is probably the closest, to me, that damon has come to kurt cobain's style. but he was probably not even thinking about it. maybe it was them both trying to sound like lennon lol
I always viewed it as half-assed, like the other CM b-sides. It sounds to me like Damon thought "We need MORE songs? ugh. Well here ya go."

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 06 May 2017, 05:37

Yea I got into some of the big grunge bands like AIC, PJ, the only Soundgarden song I really like is the old b-side Toy Box.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 06 May 2017, 06:06

dparrott wrote:
metalhipslop wrote: like A SONG by BLUR is probably the closest, to me, that damon has come to kurt cobain's style. but he was probably not even thinking about it. maybe it was them both trying to sound like lennon lol
I always viewed it as half-assed, like the other CM b-sides. It sounds to me like Damon thought "We need MORE songs? ugh. Well here ya go."
exactly. if you listen to rare , unreleased stuff, home demos... kurt has that same kind of depressed pop star, sick of shit, heroin vibe. that's where I make the connection with A Song
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 May 2017, 11:12

Alice-In-Chains' "Facelift", "SAP", and "Jar of Flies" are to me all essential to listen to, but I don't like any of the post Layne Staley AIC. I loved Layne also on the Mad Season album and prefer Jerry Cantrell solo efforts over any William DuVall AIC.

Yeah, Damon seemed threatened by Grunge because that was the only true threat to Britpop at the time, but Graham seemed more opened to embrace and the entire music scene here in the States at the time. Graham obviously rescued Blur because they definitely would have broken up in 1996 if he hadn't convinced Damon to experiment with that style of music, but of course I'm getting WAY off topic here....Sorry for that tangent!

Nirvana's sound could also be traced back to early 60s Pacific Northwest garage bands that surfaced, such as earlier Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Kingsmen (responsible for my avatar), the Wailers, etc..... They had that distinct 3 chord guitar sound and then you combine that with the Melvins and other of Kurt's influences.

Excellent comparison of "A Song" and other "CM" singles because Blur started to finally embrace the death of Britpop and how they were becoming caricatures of themselves and needed to reinvent themselves again.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 May 2017, 07:10

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: Damon seemed threatened by Grunge because that was the only true threat to Britpop at the time, but Graham seemed more opened to embrace and the entire music scene here in the States at the time.

Graham obviously rescued Blur because they definitely would have broken up in 1996 if he hadn't convinced Damon to experiment with that style of music.
Interesting points. I think that grunge captured the indie/student audience at the time, which was also Blur's audience, hence Damon's concern.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 May 2017, 18:39

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Interesting points. I think that grunge captured the indie/student audience at the time, which was also Blur's audience, hence Damon's concern.

Before, during, and immediately after "Post-Grunge" I gravitated towards "Indie" music quite a bit. What is so odd, our only true Indie station back in Detroit at the time was the only one to play Blur. Then some of our Metal or Hard Rock stations jumped on the "Song 2" bandwagon.

I liked some of what people deem as the "Post-Grunge" or "Nu-Metal" bands during that period, IE Days of the New.

Kurt again would have created another new genre post-grunge of his own and the music landscape might have been A LOT better today if that had materialized. He was one of the last true revolutionaries.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 May 2017, 05:51

I don't know how his career would have progressed. But he had the potential for a long one.

I think his work would have become mainstream, and more intermittent.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 May 2017, 02:52

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I don't know how his career would have progressed. But he had the potential for a long one.

I think his work would have become mainstream, and more intermittent.

I just don't know if Kurt would have sold out to the more mainstream. Perhaps he would have drifted away briefly after "In Utero" to survey the musical landscape at the time and then might have started to reinvent himself more. Very similar to what has been speculated about Jimi Hendrix prior to his death. Lord, that dreaded 27 Club!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 May 2017, 05:59

We like the '27 Club' artists for their exciting, groundbreaking work in the short periods that they were active. Amidst developing scenes, growing organically.

Though had they lived, I suspect that Brian, Jimi, Janis and Jim would have had a more intermittent output.

And likely to veer towards the mainstream. Comparable to say John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker or Fleetwood Mac.

I suspect similar would have happened with more recent such artists like Kurt and Amy Winehouse.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 May 2017, 12:34

Mallard No. 22 wrote:We like the '27 Club' artists for their exciting, groundbreaking work in the short periods that they were active. Amidst developing scenes, growing organically.

Though had they lived, I suspect that Brian, Jimi, Janis and Jim would have had a more intermittent output.

And likely to veer towards the mainstream. Comparable to say John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker or Fleetwood Mac.

I suspect similar would have happened with more recent such artists like Kurt and Amy Winehouse.

Oh...I believe you mean he eventually would have hit the mainstream, but not right away... That's true... Kurt would have innovated for at least another 10+ years and then gradually become mainstream over time..... I can agree in that regards... Lord... I'm still shocked about Chris Cornell.... Another Grunge legend dead....

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 May 2017, 15:00

I wouldn't say Clapton veered towards the mainstream at all. I think you could be talking about his 80's output which was what the record company wanted and not him. He was forced to take that route.

Anyway, I'm off topic, just wanted to say that. :)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 May 2017, 14:48

tom_cas1 wrote:I wouldn't say Clapton veered towards the mainstream at all. I think you could be talking about his 80's output which was what the record company wanted and not him. He was forced to take that route.

Anyway, I'm off topic, just wanted to say that. :)

Well...that essentially resuscitated his career and introduced him to a newer audience that he successfully sustained. I'm so glad obviously he rediscovered his hardcore Blues chops throughout the 90s!

I again believe Kurt would have combined metal and classical musical quite successfully for a few years and pioneered a new sound and then might have settled back into the mainstream like several have done recently. No true innovators at the moment which is why the music industry is currently floundering and will continue to do so until then.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 May 2017, 05:00

I agree that Clapton went 'mainstream' because of the record company.

The artists in the '27 Club' (including Kurt) would have been subject to similar pressures, had they lived.

guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices » 25 Jun 2017, 06:42

Unplugged in New York is a great album, if you listen to this record today in 2017 in a good stereo set up you will be amazed by the details.

guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices » 25 Jun 2017, 06:44

dparrott wrote:Yea I got into some of the big grunge bands like AIC, PJ, the only Soundgarden song I really like is the old b-side Toy Box.
No Code is another great record of that time. Listening to it right now.