L7 Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

L7 Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Oct 2016, 15:04

I don't know if any of you ever became interested in L7, but they rode their peak of success out of the Metal/Grunge wave from the early-mid 90s and recently reunited with vengeance. They are all an female band from Los Angeles, CA, who amassed quite a bit of hits all throughout the 90s. the most well known was their 1992 song, "Pretend That We're Dead"....They're also known for their onstage controversies as well and a couple of those took place way back when in London. Anyone else into their music?

AdvertBreak

Re: L7 Thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 09 Oct 2016, 15:46

I don't know much about L7, aside from The Word incident and The Prodigy cover. I've been meaning to check out Slap Happy though.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Oct 2016, 16:08

AdvertBreak wrote:I don't know much about L7, aside from The Word incident and The Prodigy cover. I've been meaning to check out Slap Happy though.
"Slap-Happy" isn't their best... I'd suggest you check out both "Bricks Are Heavy" and "Hungry for Stink" first. Those were the final two w/their classic line-up, before their bassist, Jennifer Finch left..... Fortunately, her along w/the other 3 from their classic line-up are back in full force!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Oct 2016, 05:37

I remember the 'incident' where the singer dropped her pants on 'The Word' TV show, though I didn't see it at the time. It was much reported in the media.

The way it was done was not too explicit, but nevertheless a rock n roll moment.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Oct 2016, 14:12

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I remember the 'incident' where the singer dropped her pants on 'The Word' TV show, though I didn't see it at the time. It was much reported in the media.

The way it was done was not too explicit, but nevertheless a rock n roll moment.

That performance is captured on youtube and I'm afraid to post it because she briefly does expose...well....... won't go into such graphic detail! :D

Also, there was the "tampon incident"..... They'e since reunited and are a lot more tamer in the onstage antics, but still rock like they did back then.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 19 Oct 2016, 05:39

Interesting - I notice that the album 'Bricks Are Heavy', and the follow-up 'Hungry For Stink' both did better in the UK chart than the USA chart.

As did the singles on each. In the UK they made the main top 40, whereas in USA some made high positions but only on the alternative chart.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Oct 2016, 21:30

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Interesting - I notice that the album 'Bricks Are Heavy', and the follow-up 'Hungry For Stink' both did better in the UK chart than the USA chart.

As did the singles on each. In the UK they made the main top 40, whereas in USA some made high positions but only on the alternative chart.

Yeah.... the issue here in the States again is that they didn't fit an exact format/genre to be played on. That destroyed several bands who eventually found more success abroad. Heck, even L7 since their comeback that started in 2014 have been exclusively performing at European festivals! Most are in fact are captured in their entirety on youtube.

What started their comeback is that they're on the verge of releasing a documentary of their career.... Here's a brief trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3qFKB78uic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely gets me in the mood for sure!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 25 Oct 2016, 04:49

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: the issue here in the States again is that they didn't fit an exact format/genre to be played on.
To me they fit in with 'grunge'. But perhaps they are between grunge and hair metal?

They sort of passed me by. I was aware of them at the time, and probably expected (as per e.g. the Manics) that they would become more prominent, but they fizzled out.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Oct 2016, 14:43

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: the issue here in the States again is that they didn't fit an exact format/genre to be played on.
To me they fit in with 'grunge'. But perhaps they are between grunge and hair metal?

They sort of passed me by. I was aware of them at the time, and probably expected (as per e.g. the Manics) that they would become more prominent, but they fizzled out.

Detroit's radio format was quite "finicky" at the time. They played Blur on Indie stations, however, "Song 2" made it onto our Heavy Metal stations. We had "Alternative and Indie stations", but Grunge wasn't include on there for the most part, some of those bands made it onto stations that would heavily play Metallica in their rotation and my friends and I would laugh hysterically.

L7 just didn't much airtime on local radio, but did on MTV in the US quite a bit.. Just youtube them and they were at their peak from '92-'95.... then their bassist, Jennifer Finch left and they started to decline.. Now the classic 4 is since back and better than ever!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Nov 2016, 06:55

Interesting. I would have thought grunge would have got onto heavy metal stations. But I don't know how it worked. :|

I suppose grunge was in a connecting position between indie, rock and metal. Music fans have no problem with this, but commercial radio and their genre-defining mindset.... :roll: