The Television Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

The Television Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Jul 2016, 23:42

I apologize if one dedicated to them has ever existed, but what a very underrated talented band to burst from the mid-late 70s New York scene which lead to so many other wonderful careers. "Marquee Moon" is such an exceptional album in itself.... I could go on and on, but first I want to know who else is into them? "Marquee Moon".. enough said!

AdvertBreak

Re: The Television Thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Jul 2016, 00:50

I wouldn't call them underrated, because Marquee Moon is considered one of the greatest albums of all time. However, it's ridiculous my parents don't realise that though, so I guess in the eyes of passive music fans, the public eye, they are unrecognized. It's also only MM that is beloved with the rest of their work always overlooked.

But yeah big fan. One of the most seminal bands of all time.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Jul 2016, 23:08

AdvertBreak wrote:I wouldn't call them underrated, because Marquee Moon is considered one of the greatest albums of all time. However, it's ridiculous my parents don't realise that though, so I guess in the eyes of passive music fans, the public eye, they are unrecognized. It's also only MM that is beloved with the rest of their work always overlooked.

But yeah big fan. One of the most seminal bands of all time.

I tend to base my standard on underrated in terms of airplay (which they rarely get here for some odd reason) and over discussion. It's such a lofty term.... I agree w/one of the most seminal bands of all time....true they never rivaled or eclipsed "Marquee Moon", but any band can survive off such a excellent piece of work as that!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Aug 2016, 06:09

It is fair to say they are under-rated. They are rarely mentioned beyond retrospectives of music c.1977.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 02 Aug 2016, 17:22

i disagree Mallard, yes they are :lol: I mean I see them come up all the time. But when you're one of the most influential bands of all time it makes sense.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Aug 2016, 00:04

AdvertBreak wrote:i disagree Mallard, yes they are :lol: I mean I see them come up all the time. But when you're one of the most influential bands of all time it makes sense.

Well for my personal perspective... it reverts back to the stance that here in the States (even though they formed in NY) they aren't really discussed in broader circles or receive much airplay... maybe again because we've lacked high standards in music here for quite some time! :lol:

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 04 Aug 2016, 18:03

I wouldn't say they're underrated and I don't think you can properly rate the influence and global appreciation of art-rock bands like Television with things like airplay or sale figures. But yeah Marquee Moon is always mentioned on every 70s list and they're often listed as influences for loads of more recent bands, so I dunno. If you wanna argue about their non-MM material being overrated then that's a completely different thing and I kinda get that point. I love Marquee Moon but I think I've only heard Adventure twice and I have never even bothered with the s/t.