The Simon & Garfunkel Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

MsMagicAmerica

Re: The Simon & Garfunkel Thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 08 Aug 2016, 09:13

They got back together for a track called "My Little Town" in 1976 I believe. They released it on their solo albums that they both had coming out. The song's credited as Simon & Garfunkel. Paul produced some of Art's solo albums too.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Aug 2016, 23:28

MsMagicAmerica wrote:They got back together for a track called "My Little Town" in 1976 I believe. They released it on their solo albums that they both had coming out. The song's credited as Simon & Garfunkel. Paul produced some of Art's solo albums too.
Yeah...I love that song...a nice little song it is.... Just wish though they immediately recorded together after "Bridge Over Troubled Water" when they had so much momentum. However, perhaps any follow-up could have been a colossal failure... we all like to revise history in the most utopian way without considering any potential negatives! Especially me... I tend to do that w/bands all the time! :lol:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Aug 2016, 06:11

In 1970 the music industry (as it was becoming) was in a state of constant change. E.g. The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Jimi Hendrix all moving around different projects. SImon & Garfunkel were affected by this as much as anyone else.

I think that their respective solo work indicates what they would have done had they remained together. Both in the quality and in the timescale that it was produced. E.g. a hypothetical 1975 album by the duo may have contained some tracks from the respective 'Still Crazy After All These Years' and 'Breakaway' LPs?

Although the notable difference between the two is that Art tended not to write his own songs whereas Paul was very self-contained in this respect. Whether Paul would have been happy to record songs written by others outside of the duo is unclear. He might have done if he thought the quality of the song was good?
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Aug 2016, 14:01

I personally feel that Art can convey Paul's lyrics more effectively and captured the essence of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" title track. I vastly compare it to how Roger Daltrey flourishes in capturing the spirit of Pete Townshend's lyrics at such a supreme level. Not necessarily inferring that Simon and Townshend don't have solid voices themselves, but there is something striking how their respective partners can really elevate the lyrics into such a high stratosphere!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 Aug 2016, 06:13

Yes that is absolutely right. They complement each other, yet Art can convey that extra to Paul's songs.

And the comparison with e.g. Daltrey and Townshend in this respect is right. It is the same with others e.g. on a Beatles solo song. Although good you sometimes think e.g. a Lennon song could do with touches of McCartney :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Aug 2016, 10:58

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes that is absolutely right. They complement each other, yet Art can convey that extra to Paul's songs.

And the comparison with e.g. Daltrey and Townshend in this respect is right. It is the same with others e.g. on a Beatles solo song. Although good you sometimes think e.g. a Lennon song could do with touches of McCartney :)

Here's an interesting performance of both Paul and Art alternating lead vocals during "Bridge Over Troubled Water".... Paul is decent, but doesn't truly capture the dynamics/essence that Art does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDg8fVC4EQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not necessarily criticizing Paul because he still sounded impressive during that 2nd verse, but that's when Art really always nailed it so angelically.... I love that 3rd verse because their voices blended so damn good together.. Only second to the Everly Brothers.......

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Aug 2016, 04:07

Paul was doing 'American Idol', but Art was still Garfunkel of 1970. :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Aug 2016, 10:54

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Paul was doing 'American Idol', but Art was still Garfunkel of 1970. :)

Yeah..agreed....Paul seemed like he was forcing it....Again, he was always envious on how Art nailed that song so effortlessly.....

Want to see something cringe-worthy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73rWu8Ri7J4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not their performance, but the interview....Why? Diane Sawyer, the interviewer was married to Mike Nichols at the time (before his death), who we discussed earlier was one of the primary reasons behind their 1970 break-up......you could sense how pissed they were towards her.. cringe-worthy was her questioning...asking why they broke-up in the first place! They were some gentleman-like by resisting any direct comments...I would have gone off on her myself if I was either one of them. Nichols caused a major rift!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Sep 2016, 05:25

"Leave Mike, and run away with us...." :D

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Sep 2016, 08:19

Mallard No. 22 wrote:"Leave Mike, and run away with us...." :D
Art is always hysterical! :lol:

I loved that performance quite a bit...especially selecting two songs from their very less herald album "Bookends" which is always to me vastly underrated.

In fact... I just recently came across this promotional clip for "I Am A Rock" and really enjoy how it exhibits the vast bond between them! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPH0s1htme8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Sep 2016, 05:47

Listening to it now, with the organ-backing and b&w promo film, it is reminiscent of Dylan in that period, c.1965-66.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Sep 2016, 06:52

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Listening to it now, with the organ-backing and b&w promo film, it is reminiscent of Dylan in that period, c.1965-66.

That's how they became popular in the first place. They initially released "Sounds of Silence" on their debut album, 1964's "Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M." and it was strictly Paul on acoustic (with Paul and Art on vocals) and it at first didn't make a dint whatsoever. Until though a year later a Florida radio station began playing it heavy rotation and then producer Tom Wilson recorded the since famous remix electric version without Paul and Art knowing and the rest as they say is history!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Sep 2016, 06:12

I've never really thought of S & G and Dylan as 'similar'.

But listening to that track it struck me that they both broke through in the same period.

Electrification (IMO) gave their sound the energy it needed.