The Simon & Garfunkel Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

The Simon & Garfunkel Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Jul 2016, 15:41

I've loved their entire catalog throughout my entire life, whether it be them together (which I honestly prefer) or through their solo efforts (IE Paul's mid 70s-early 80s output)....

I spent a greater part of this past weekend listening to quite a bit of them, IE "Bridge Over Trouble Water" (mainly the title track) and it is so incredible to me. It's unfortunate it's the last album they recorded together and they've attempted a few times to collaborate again, but the same old conflicts whether it be personal and/or creative prevents that from becoming a reality. Now Paul is adamant that they will never reunite again because it will all be nostalgia, but I still contend myself they can record a new album together. They've been lifelong friends which started recording together in 1957 when they were both 15 under the name of "Tom & Jerry" and even shared an American Bandstand performance with Jerry Lee Lewis on the bill. I wish they could reconcile their differences.

At the moment I'm listening to "Bridge Over Trouble Water" and it always makes me cry, Art's voice is so full of raw searing emotion. He conveys Paul's vocals just as great at Daltrey does to Townshend's...... And their two-part harmonies were always only rivaled by the Everly Brothers. They are two extremely gifted musicians who need to finally set aside everything because they're depriving everyone of their collective brilliance!
Last edited by KingLouieLouie76 on 23 Jul 2016, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

tom_cas1

Re: The Simon & Garfunkle Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 12 Jul 2016, 12:39

The only album I have of theirs is Bridge Over Troubled Water which is FANTASTIC. The title track is sublime...those vocals...just incredible. I really like Keep The Customer Satisfied too, great song. But apart from that album I haven't heard anything else although I own a few Paul Simon solo albums from the mid-70's.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Jul 2016, 15:02

tom_cas1 wrote:The only album I have of theirs is Bridge Over Troubled Water which is FANTASTIC. The title track is sublime...those vocals...just incredible. I really like Keep The Customer Satisfied too, great song. But apart from that album I haven't heard anything else although I own a few Paul Simon solo albums from the mid-70's.
Agreed...I highly recommend all their other full length albums, IE "Sounds of Silence" and "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme". "Bookends" had some solo moments on it though..... Here's them running through most of "Sounds of Silence" during this splendid 1966 live gig in Holland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-urzDZdbQY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Jul 2016, 03:19

'America' is one of my favourite tracks of theirs.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Jul 2016, 07:05

First, watch this very compelling clip..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tctvvDb3Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love "America" (along w/Yes' cover)..... "Bookends" is such a very underrated album in general, especially the first half of it... the 2nd was juxtaposed material they had spanning for nearly over 2 years which some of it made it onto the "Graduate" soundtrack or were previously released as singles..Some of this because Paul was going through some writer's block, but he promptly overcame that and lord did he ever!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 21 Jul 2016, 05:53

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:First, watch this very compelling clip..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tctvvDb3Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:cry: It is 'not available in my country'....

'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is largely responsible for The Beatles 'Let It Be' single not reaching number one in the UK.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Jul 2016, 05:25

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:First, watch this very compelling clip..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tctvvDb3Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:cry: It is 'not available in my country'....

'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is largely responsible for The Beatles 'Let It Be' single not reaching number one in the UK.

I apologize... just search the Simon & Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Water" 40th anniversary. Rumor has it Paul got jealous of Artie because everyone gave Artie the credit for writing and owning the title track by his stellar vocals, that Paul became utterly jealous.... Just so pathetic... Oh well.... breaking-up at their height.....

Edit: I should add during that period both Paul and Art were supposed to appear together in a film titled "Catch 22", but they for no apparent reason removed Paul's character in the script and kept Art's.... that initiated the rift and then the film took longer than expected to complete and it hampered Art's availability for the recording sessions and Paul became further livid.....that was catalyst for their break-up.....

MsMagicAmerica

Re: The Simon & Garfunkel Thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 23 Jul 2016, 18:46

I freaking LOVE Simon & Garfunkel! I've grown up with them my whole life as my Mom is a big fan of theirs. While I like the song Bridge... it's actually not my favorite of theirs. Sound of Silence, the Boxer, Old Friends/Bookends, My Little Town, & Scarborough Fair are mine. Their harmonies are just beautiful.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Jul 2016, 01:17

MsMagicAmerica wrote:I freaking LOVE Simon & Garfunkel! I've grown up with them my whole life as my Mom is a big fan of theirs. While I like the song Bridge... it's actually not my favorite of theirs. Sound of Silence, the Boxer, Old Friends/Bookends, My Little Town, & Scarborough Fair are mine. Their harmonies are just beautiful.
You and your mom have excellent taste.... My parents also owned all their lps and I listened to "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme" quite a bit and "Sound of Silence" to a lesser degree. I've gotten into "Booekends" quite a bit over the past couple of years and I've been going through some emotional times lately and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (not just the title track) has had such a profound impact on me and I've always enjoyed that as well... Probably my top-10 fave album of all-time... Too bad they haven't recovered a full length album together since.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Jul 2016, 04:30

I saw 'Catch 22' years ago and didn't realise Paul was supposed to be in it as well. One of the cutting edge movies of the time though I am not sure if it has aged well?

'Scarborough Fair' is also one of my favourite songs of theirs. In my ignorance I thought Paul Simon must have wrote it, and that it referred to a 'Scarborough' in north America. :mrgreen: I didn't realise it was a traditional English folk song referring to Scarborough (North Yorkshire) which is comparatively near to me. Paul had picked up on the song via the New York folk scene I believe.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Jul 2016, 23:03

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I saw 'Catch 22' years ago and didn't realise Paul was supposed to be in it as well. One of the cutting edge movies of the time though I am not sure if it has aged well?

'Scarborough Fair' is also one of my favourite songs of theirs. In my ignorance I thought Paul Simon must have wrote it, and that it referred to a 'Scarborough' in north America. :mrgreen: I didn't realise it was a traditional English folk song referring to Scarborough (North Yorkshire) which is comparatively near to me. Paul had picked up on the song via the New York folk scene I believe.

There's been a few recent articles and youtube clips pointing out how "Catch-22" producer, the late Mike Nichols (who also also produced "the Graduate") was to blame for their demise. Paul it seemed in spite of his writing genius, lavishing vocals, and outstanding acoustic guitar talent was always envious of Art.. perhaps because Art was taller, probably better looking to most, and had such an angelic voice. Paul crumbed when people heaped so much praise on the "Bridge Over Troubled Water" title track and credited Art for it's greatness that Paul's jealousies really spiraled more out of control.. it is so odd obviously if you think about it..... Plus, Art wanted to include one more track on the album and Paul refused which was the main last straw.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Aug 2016, 05:52

Didn't know that. Paul was dropped from the film by Mike Nichols? It had quite an extensive cast of 'names' so in theory Paul might have fitted in somewhere.

Though seasoned thespians will have been seeking the parts. And the film was not intended as a Simon & Garfunkel vehicle AFAIK.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Aug 2016, 23:56

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Didn't know that. Paul was dropped from the film by Mike Nichols? It had quite an extensive cast of 'names' so in theory Paul might have fitted in somewhere.

Though seasoned thespians will have been seeking the parts. And the film was not intended as a Simon & Garfunkel vehicle AFAIK.

Here's a 2013 in which Art sheds some perspective on this very topic.... https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/ ... paul-simon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 Aug 2016, 05:17

Thank you for posting that. It was quite a long time for the duo to be separated, at an important time in their career.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Aug 2016, 17:56

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Thank you for posting that. It was quite a long time for the duo to be separated, at an important time in their career.
It's such a shame because "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was their absolute masterpiece and they have plenty left in their arsenal. At least Paul managed a solid solo career himself and Art a slightly modest one, but would have been brilliant to see them collaborate again within their prime when they were vastly emerging onto that pedestal. Just all these old conflicts and some insecurities interfered in any of that potential progress.