New album by The Divine Comedy - released in September

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Neal Zeal

New album by The Divine Comedy - released in September

Post by Neal Zeal » 22 May 2016, 18:53

Anyone round these parts ever much liked the TDC?
I think Mr Albarn was a champion way back around their first or second album.
I quite liked them in the early to mid 90s before they did some serious plot-losing with rubbish like Perfect Lovesong and National Express.
Haven't bought anything by them in the last 10 years (possibly, only two albums).
Still have a little bit of a soft spot for them though, so will look out for the reviews of the new album (Foreverland), and may get a ticket for their London show (touring this autumn and early next year).
Here are their 10 best songs:
1. Tonight we fly
2. The birds of paradise farm
3. Something in the woodshed
4. Festive Road
5. Songs of love
6. Becoming like Alfie
7. Your daddy's car
8. Our mutual friend
9. The Summerhouse
10. Don't look down

Mallard No. 22

Re: New album by The Divine Comedy - released in September

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 May 2016, 05:57

'Love What You Do' (2001) was one that I liked when it came out.

They emerged within the 90s indie/Britpop period but I found them (i.e. Neil Hannan) a bit irritating, like an actor who played a silly part in 'Father Ted' (who indeed Hannan did the theme song for).
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 04 Jun 2016, 08:48

I got into The Divine Comedy around Casanova, which makes sense as that was his big breakthrough during Britpop. And then went backwards and bought all the early albums and kept up buying everything subsequently. I think it went off the boil for me around Absent Friends, so 2004. The albums since have just been okay.

I'm not ashamed to say my favourite material is around the height of his fame, so Casanova (his best album surely), A Short Album About Love (best version of Timewatching), Fin de Siécle (this felt a bit more like a return to his earlier more oblique, literary referencing style, loved it) and the Godrich produced Regeneration. The latter I absolutely adored at the time though I can see how some fans might have felt he sold out his sound for something more straightforward and guitar driven. I just thought it was a great record.

Don't know about absolute 'best' songs, can't be that proscriptive, but some of my favourites include:
• Becoming More Like Alfie (the Michael Caine referencing just felt so right in the midst of all the Britpop nostalgia - I lapped it up)
• Death of a Supernaturalist
• Through a Long and Sleepless Night (favourite track on Casanova, so wonderfully overblown, baroque... and funny)
• Something for the Weekend (obvious)
• Songs of Love
• In Pursuit of Happiness
• The Certainty of Chance
• Bad Ambassador (remember being obsessed with this song on Radio One - Mark Radcliffe championed it on his afternoon show I seem to recall)
• Love What You Do
• Come Home Billy Bird

I'll be intrigued to hear the new album. If nothing else, it'll hopefully give me an opportunity to go and see him live. I've stupidly never done so and should rectify that, albeit really late in the day. Even had tickets once and ended up not going for one reason or another. :lol:

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 04 Jun 2016, 17:12

Very happy theres a new DC album coming out. For those who feel output was patchy from Absent Friends onwards - I'd urge a reconsideration of Absent Friends and follow up Victory for the Comic Muse if only for Our Mutual Friend on AF, and the last 3 tracks on VFTCM, which are astounding pieces (pity that album begins with 3 of the weaker tracks from his career - enjoyable, but throwaway.

BUT - revisiting those would be a mere bridge to checking out his last album Bang Goes the Knighthood - which IMHO was a massive return to form, not just for select picks but as an ALBUM - the opener Down in the Street Below is like 3 songs in one, flowing seamlessly - the kid of track you want to skip back to again and again - with some beautifully crafted lyrics (that goes for all of BGTK). Top other picks from that album are the title track, The Complete Banker, Assume the Perpendicular, and especially When a Man Cries, which which will have your teeth set against blubbering right form the child's music box opening.

And to my mind, Promenade is his best earlier album by a long chalk, that and Casanova are stone cold classics, again for the ALBUM-ness of them.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 04 Jun 2016, 17:34

I should give Bang Goes the Knighthood another listen. I bought it at the time and haven't heard it since then, so remember little of it. Cheers for the nudge - I'll dig it out. :)

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 08 Jul 2016, 08:09

Here's the new single, Catherine the Great.
http://www.vevo.com/watch/GBNFD1600083? ... 8211f002e4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 28 Aug 2016, 03:21

Well the second single's out and it's ... bloody awful!
All the worst elements of the band condensed into one song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehxil2jZ ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The album's been getting pretty good reviews but this has put me right off....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Sep 2016, 05:28

It's not that bad Neal - no better or worse than I expected. :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 05 Sep 2016, 20:27

Need to listen to the album. From what I read in Q it's alright.

Just listened to those two tracks. Catherine The Great is a pretty little tune actually. As for the second one, I think it's okay. I think 'bloody awful' is a tad harsh! ;) Fair to say his very best work appears to be behind him mind you, but I'll get the album.

Best line in Catherine The Great: 'She looked so bloody great on a horse.' :lol: Neil seems to know his way around a comic line or two about horses...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 06 Sep 2016, 22:31

101reykjavik wrote:Need to listen to the album. From what I read in Q it's alright.

Just listened to those two tracks. Catherine The Great is a pretty little tune actually. As for the second one, I think it's okay. I think 'bloody awful' is a tad harsh! ;) Fair to say his very best work appears to be behind him mind you, but I'll get the album.

Best line in Catherine The Great: 'She looked so bloody great on a horse.' :lol: Neil seems to know his way around a comic line or two about horses...
Yep, the Catherine song is pretty good but I stand by my verdict of 'Here on my own'.
It's flipping horrible. Forgettable yet irritating music, unfunny lyrics, and a really bad video.
But the album's had good reviews - mainly 4/5.
Used to love the band. They're one of a very small number of acts/artists who (I think) have close to 20 brilliant songs.
They should release another compilation of the 3 or 4 studio albums released since their first 'best of' as there must be a fair few gems hidden away...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Sep 2016, 05:51

I went on You Tube looking for something, and Mr. Hannon came on promoting the new single.

'You Can Skip This Video in Five....' and I'm afraid I did. :P

Good luck to Neil and the band if they can sustain success after 20+ years. :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 18 Sep 2016, 12:03

Sorry everyone, but How Can You Leave Me On My Own has really been working its charms on me. I really quite like it now. Maybe I have unsophisticated musical taste. :lol:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Sep 2016, 07:38

BBC 6Music are playing it quite a lot.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Sep 2016, 12:57

I think that's what has been turning my head. Heard it quite a bit on there.

My vinyl copy of the album arrived on Thursday. Yet to play it. :D

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Sep 2016, 04:53

Yes, 'How Can You Leave Me Here On My Own' is very catchy.

No worse than any previous ditty by Hannon.