Monkees Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

Monkees Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 Apr 2016, 04:36

I'd thought I'd begin one w/the new Rivers Cuomo written track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpp-Ry2ZNhY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Apr 2016, 07:19

Is this newly recorded material, by all of the surviving members?
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 29 Apr 2016, 12:35

Yes, they've had songs written for them by contemporary writers, including Andy Partridge and Noel Gallagher. They're also recording a few tunes that have been on the 'to do' list since way back when.

My interest has been piqued for a while because the album is being produced by Adam Schlesinger, and as a loon Fountains of Wayne fan I'll always take an interest in his side projects.

More here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... m-20160428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 29 Apr 2016, 20:57

I like the new song. Not the song of the century, but Cuomo did a good job. It has the 60s vibes but with a touch of modernity.

I've always loved the Monkees. I think my dad introduced me to them when I was about 8.

My fav songs were and probably still are "Randy scouse git" and "Sometime in the morning" (well, i actually like the songs Carole King wrote for them)

And nothing to do with music, but Davy had the most adorable face ever and his dance moves, like in Daydream Believer's video, were so cute, haha. Was really shocked when I heard he'd passed away...

Oh, and I have Monkees magnets on my fridge but I guess nobody cares :lol:

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 30 Apr 2016, 11:28

My sister, our friends, & I were obsessed with the Monkees when we were kids in the '80s The show was played on MTV & Nickalodeon & we watched it all of the time. My favorite was Mickey, my sister's was Davy. Poor Peter, we used to call him Peter Tork the Dork.

As for favorite songs of theirs, "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone," "Papa Gene's Blues" "Valleri," & "She" have always been my favorites.

Has anyone seen Head and actually understood it? My sister & I tried when we were older & couldn't watch it, we figured we didn't get it b/c we weren't tripping on something or stoned.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Apr 2016, 12:37

I first became interested in the Monkees when I was 9 during their 1986 20-year reunion revival. MTV began airing all their episodes and later they went on tour (minus Michael Nesmith) and I ended-up seeing them in part of concert that consisted of a few other top 1960s acts. They recorded a new album "Pool It" the following year, but still sans Nesmith. Nesmith finally managed to join them onstage though during a concert in Los Angeles. They subsequently reunited in 1996/1997 to coincide w/their 30th anniversary and Nesmith was involved w/their 1996 release, "Justus" and the London portion of their tour, but he immediately departed.

They toured frequently since again w/out Nesmith and have also since Davy's untimely 2012 passing (mainly just consisting of Peter and Mickey). Obviously, not the same without Davy who obviously was immensely talented and quite the showman himself.

I love "Headquarters" and "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd." as my two fave albums and "Head" and its soundtrack were also brilliant.

I love the new Cuomo composed track....He really captured the essence of the 60s with a modern vibe to it!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 May 2016, 06:11

I generally like their hit singles - wouldn't like to say that I preferred any over the others.

Beyond this I like 'The Porpoise Song' (theme song from the 'Head' film) and 'Listen To The Band' a 1969 single (but non-UK hit) written & sung by Mike Nesmith.

I recorded 'Head' off the TV many years ago but as MsMagicAmerica says I found it difficult to get into and abandoned watching it. Should give it another go sometime because it intrigues me.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 May 2016, 10:33

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I generally like their hit singles - wouldn't like to say that I preferred any over the others.

Beyond this I like 'The Porpoise Song' (theme song from the 'Head' film) and 'Listen To The Band' a 1969 single (but non-UK hit) written & sung by Mike Nesmith.

I recorded 'Head' off the TV many years ago but as MsMagicAmerica says I found it difficult to get into and abandoned watching it. Should give it another go sometime because it intrigues me.

First, I overlooked MsMagicAmerica (your) post about "Head"..... I only watched it in its entirety once and I was probably 9 or 10 and I've watched some of it since... Funny how a young Jack Nicholson produced it..... they were trying to be so anti-establishment and separate themselves from anything commercial.

I loved most of the songs that Mike Nesmith wrote....some had country-tinged sound to it......really broaden their catalog quite a bit..... "Headquarters" is always to me a must-listen..that's them playing all the instruments on an album for the first time and they pulled it off quite well..several memorable songs on there!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 May 2016, 05:54

Yes, I can imagine Listen To The Band being recorded by a 'Woodstock-type' band. Being a Monkees song possibly hindered it.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 May 2016, 15:49

Pretty solid effort... I love Mike's voice in this..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfruDTmFDUA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 May 2016, 05:45

It has got a lot of YT hits already - showing how much interest there is.

People still want to 'Listen To The Band'.... :D

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 May 2016, 12:40

Mallard No. 22 wrote:It has got a lot of YT hits already - showing how much interest there is.

People still want to 'Listen To The Band'.... :D

That just proves they are still relevant enough, especially to be finally inducted into the Rock-N-Roll HOF.....They're now more of a band more than ever and that novelty of them being a tv show hasn't applied to them for over four decades! It's about time that receive their proper due which should definitely have been done several years ago when Davy was still alive!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Jun 2016, 06:01

Their tenure as a top current act was short (1966-69). And in the final year of this, it could be said that their star had waned.

This could be another reason why induction to the R&R HOF has taken a long time. Other inductees have had a much longer period 'at the top'.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Jun 2016, 23:07

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Their tenure as a top current act was short (1966-69). And in the final year of this, it could be said that their star had waned.

This could be another reason why induction to the R&R HOF has taken a long time. Other inductees have had a much longer period 'at the top'.

I definitely understand your point....They became a trio in 1969 (when Peter left) and then a duo (when Mike departed) and their musical output was inferior compared to their peak success. Mickey and Dave reunited with Boyce and Hart (who wrote most of their signature songs) during the 70s, but more so of a nostalgia act and then then they recorded a 1987 album (sans Mike) which was rather dismissed by several and their 1996/1997 reunion album (this time w/Mike back in the fold) was decent, but obviously not as heralded as they were in their heyday. And this current album does show some promise and might lead them back to greatness of some degree to be reconsidered.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Jun 2016, 05:49

I like The Monkees and the later 60s period would have been duller without them.

Though they are only really of that period, much like Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, The Tremeloes, The Association or Tommy James & The Shondells.

These artists all had their moments though do not have much influence beyond their time, unlike say The Beatles or The Beach Boys.