Random music posts

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Mallard No. 22

Re: Random music posts

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 21 Jul 2016, 06:58

AdvertBreak wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:You have studied the nuances of musical genres more than I have, AB.

These genres (& sub-genres) exist, but most of the listenership does not define them so precisely.
I'm confused what you mean. Garage music is very definitely garage
What I mean is, the casual listener will like and buy records, and remember them years later. But they are less clued up about what genre they are from, what the trends/nuances of the music scene are etc.
AdvertBreak wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:A lot of things I write on the forum are based on personal memories and experience. I look at things from a social history point of view.

Specifically regarding music through the 1990s, through the ears of the everyday listener:

At times, mainstream radio & TV seemed prejudiced against certain types of artist. This meant that e.g. Radio 1 was liable not to play the Manics or the Mondays on prime time shows.
I try and do the same where I can, like with my memories of the mid-2000s.

Radio is still like this now of course..the mainstream is always the mainstream and so their attitudes stay the same no matter how differently dressed.
Yes absolutely. Whilst this has generally been the case over many years, Radio 1 did play indie music on much more equal terms to other genres during the mid-late 90s.

I can't comment on Radio 1 now as I haven't listened for a decade or more, and it is aimed at a generation younger than me. Though I know how awful Radio 2 is and I am in the age group for its listenership. Obvious records and patronising 'we know best' patois from the presenters & guests.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 02 Sep 2016, 02:10

Yeah Radio 2 drive me nuts. I mean they don't cry out REAL music like Absolute do but there's a definite "we got this" vibe I get off them and their listeners.

I came here to say that If I was stranded on a desert island and I could pick a 700,000 box set of every blues song ever, or all 7 minutes of Blue Monday, then I'd be more than comfortable for the rest of my life in the arms of the latter blue.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Sep 2016, 05:45

AdvertBreak wrote: Yeah Radio 2 drive me nuts....there's a definite "we got this" vibe I get off them and their listeners.
....the sun always shines on that station. They should be on a desert island.... ;)

AdvertBreak wrote: I came here to say that If I was stranded on a desert island and I could pick a 700,000 box set of every blues song ever, or all 7 minutes of Blue Monday, then I'd be more than comfortable for the rest of my life in the arms of the latter blue.
....careful, they've done 700,000 re-mixes of that.... :lol:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Dec 2017, 01:56

Rook is the greatest song that Andy Partridge has ever written

Its arguably preferable to anything Damon has ever done but obviously its EXTREMELY close

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Dec 2017, 05:47

2007 was the last great full year of music! Or am I truly missing out?

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 28 Dec 2017, 20:18

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:2007 was the last great full year of music! Or am I truly missing out?
yeah you're missing out

probably
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 30 Dec 2017, 17:08

Just discovered this band Arch Echo. Instrumental prog rock with some of the best cover art ever!
https://youtu.be/tI1zdXLflqs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Jan 2018, 04:16

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:2007 was the last great full year of music! Or am I truly missing out?
Why do you think that Louie?

I personally think the last few years (since c. 2011) have been lean.

Though if you dig deep enough, the good music still seems to be there (e.g. as played on BBC 6Music in the UK).

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Jan 2018, 07:12

'Musical molecular gastronomy' is among my favourite things ever and, as a term, I borrowed it from Tom Ewing but I've been slipping it into my lexicon more often since May.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Feb 2018, 21:01

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
Why do you think that Louie?

I personally think the last few years (since c. 2011) have been lean.

Though if you dig deep enough, the good music still seems to be there (e.g. as played on BBC 6Music in the UK).
Yeah... you cited UK stations which are superior to the ones here in the States. I even discovered some American bands around 2008 when listening to NME Radio online and perhaps I should return to that again for a source. Also, BST I attended in 2015 (Beck/Strokes and then Blur) introduced me to acts such as Metronomy and Syd Arthur..so......

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Feb 2018, 07:29

Can you get BBC 6Music online in the USA, Louie? I listen to it on DAB here.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Feb 2018, 16:56

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Can you get BBC 6Music online in the USA, Louie? I listen to it on DAB here.

I believe so. I used to listen to some of the BBC stations online years ago. Nowadays I only use Spotify and youtube for my music listening needs.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Feb 2018, 04:50

With the BBC stations, I avoid Radio One because I am beyond its age :arrow: . I avoid Radio Two because it is naff :roll:

But 6Music is much more eclectic, and caters for the music fan :D

Otherwise, as you suggest, I play my own music.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Feb 2018, 09:26

6Music is nice and I'll defend it against most criticisms people level against it. Though it is a bit smug. Radio 2 isn't really my thing ever but when my dad has it on during long car trips it can be good for a nice blast of populism as long as its the right DJ and the right records. Radio 1 is trash but I guess its not their fault.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Feb 2018, 16:44

Mallard No. 22 wrote:With the BBC stations, I avoid Radio One because I am beyond its age :arrow: . I avoid Radio Two because it is naff :roll:

But 6Music is much more eclectic, and caters for the music fan :D

Otherwise, as you suggest, I play my own music.

Thanks... I intend to check out 6Music sometime!

Random topic.... I fell in love with Death Metal last night... Yeah... that is indeed EXTREME!