damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

101reykjavik

Re: Random music posts

Post by 101reykjavik » 28 Mar 2016, 13:28

Silly person

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 28 Mar 2016, 18:23

AdvertBreak wrote:It was first or second to go in the Rubber Soul Survivor.
That decision was absolutely wrong. Fuck democracy :mrgreen:
For me Norwegian Wood is easily one of the best Beatles songs.
Forever Low Man wrote:norwegian wood is bad
:shock:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 09 Apr 2016, 15:01

Okay, word of warning, he doesn't like Blur, but I feel this is an interesting list anyhow
http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/1999/12/t ... f-the-90s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do we think?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 14 Apr 2016, 16:38

Found these cool animated cover art GIFs online:

Lots more here: http://jbetcom.tumblr.com/

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Apr 2016, 07:07

AdvertBreak wrote:Okay, word of warning, he doesn't like Blur, but I feel this is an interesting list anyhow
http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/1999/12/t ... f-the-90s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do we think?
I think that list had some astute choices.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 15 Apr 2016, 15:23

AdvertBreak wrote:Okay, word of warning, he doesn't like Blur, but I feel this is an interesting list anyhow

What do we think?
Overtly Anglocentric imo. No Buddy Holly, Gold Soundz, Ballad of Big Nothing, Dirty Boots, etc. Hell, not even Beck is there!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 16 Apr 2016, 17:30

Yeah there is an English bias and there should be more American stuff like what you mentioned, although I admit it's refreshing to see that overrated Gold Soundz isn't there, even though, yes, it does belong there.

His American friend Ned Raggett also did a list of the best 90s album at the time which comes off very British although not quite as much, but as with Tom's singles list, its interesting.
http://web.archive.org/web/200001201927 ... dmain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 17 Apr 2016, 13:06

AdvertBreak wrote:Yeah there is an English bias and there should be more American stuff like what you mentioned, although I admit it's refreshing to see that overrated Gold Soundz isn't there, even though, yes, it does belong there.

His American friend Ned Raggett also did a list of the best 90s album at the time which comes off very British although not quite as much, but as with Tom's singles list, its interesting.
http://web.archive.org/web/200001201927 ... dmain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Menswear! Oh my :lol: Again there are some jarring omissions there but I like some of his choices a lot.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Apr 2016, 01:45

Random post here..... Beach Boys "Smiley Smile" has to be one of the most hysterical albums ever! True, Brian scaled back considerably from "Smile" in a lo-fi, but lord.... on all counts it's awesome on that hilarious factor.. especially while buzzing! Tripped out... just TRIPPED OUT!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 19 Apr 2016, 04:16

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:Yeah there is an English bias and there should be more American stuff like what you mentioned, although I admit it's refreshing to see that overrated Gold Soundz isn't there, even though, yes, it does belong there.

Menswear! Oh my :lol: Again there are some jarring omissions there but I like some of his choices a lot.
It was him that triggered my Menswear thread actually. I refuse to believe there are people who prefer them to Blur :lol: But yeah he has good choices.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Random post here..... Beach Boys "Smiley Smile" has to be one of the most hysterical albums ever! True, Brian scaled back considerably from "Smile" in a lo-fi, but lord.... on all counts it's awesome on that hilarious factor.. especially while buzzing! Tripped out... just TRIPPED OUT!
I'd never thought of it as being humorous. To me a humorous lo-fi album would be something by The Frogs or early Ween haha. But yeah Smiley Smile is a great little record. A bit sad really (and, although recorded for Smile, the inclusion of Paul's vegetable chomping is also Paul's munch of defeat as his rival is stripped down to protominimal quietness.) It's actually still very experimental and influential I feel. Wild Honey and Friends are also underrated.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Apr 2016, 23:25

AdvertBreak wrote:I'd never thought of it as being humorous. To me a humorous lo-fi album would be something by The Frogs or early Ween haha. But yeah Smiley Smile is a great little record. A bit sad really (and, although recorded for Smile, the inclusion of Paul's vegetable chomping is also Paul's munch of defeat as his rival is stripped down to protominimal quietness.) It's actually still very experimental and influential I feel. Wild Honey and Friends are also underrated.

I'd prefer to continue the Beach Boys discussion under the Beach Boys thread, if you dont mind :D

Yeah...I agree though...Ween and definitely Butthole Surfers qualify for lo-fi humor albums along w/perhaps Flaming Lips......

Another random thought..... I have to finally saw Radiohead in concert!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 May 2016, 02:02

^I need to see them too. Maybe with this new album I might have a chance.

Any Durutti Column fans? Anyone agree that LC is one heck of a unique, gorgeous album? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgTpDtMVv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 May 2016, 04:01

Random post..... we obviously lost Bowie and Prince this year who were two institutions of their own....

I know I've gone on a Lenny Kravitz kick of him having the baton/torch given to him.... but who else currently is up to that magnitude? I used to think Trent Reznor and Jack White had that potential, but they haven't advanced to that next level...... Damon can be included in some discussion to a certain extent...... It's honestly hard to say really........Beck has plenty of followers.....but again who has really separated themselves.... I know we can discuss those who have existed since the 60s, but I'm focusing on those who initially surfaced in the 90s...... Perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious or do not hold high enough esteem that others might...... Just again proves how there is a lack of innovation right now and it seems it is going to remain that way for several more years.....

Edit: I overlooked Josh Homme and David Grohl..... Billy Cogan had some potential.......

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 03 May 2016, 18:53

Praising Lenny Kravitz while stating that contemporary music is derivative is kinda contradictory, isn't it? :lol:
About Kravitz, it's all a matter of what you're into I guess but he isn't even respected by lots of music fans, so there's no way he's on the Beck/Yorke/Harvey/Albarn tier.

Anyway, from bands that started in the 00s/10s I'd say Bradford Cox, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West and hell, even James Murphy are all up there. Our conception of music has changed and we don't have those larger than life characters anymore but that doesn't mean that contemporary music sucks, it just means that you have to dig deeper to find what you like.