Random music posts

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

AdvertBreak

Random music posts

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Mar 2016, 04:42

I have contemplated this thread for over a year. But I normally had only one thing I wanted to say so instead I made a specific thread.

But random posts and random music posts could become different threads. Also that way, people who don't frequent the Off Topic area but do the MIMR can see this thread and post here.

So...

1. Glenn Branca's recent rockist comments about electronic music make him look like a particular idiot because his argument is that the composer of electronic music is not those writing and playing the pieces but instead those who make the instruments, because "pushing a button is not composing." But I suppose strumming a guitar is? Surely by his logic, the people making guitars are the composers, because they put those strings and chords on there, they're already there for the musicians to play. What a horribly mindless "opinion". Branca is, what, best famous for his Rhys Chatham-esque guitar symphonies? Alternative tuning resonances? Surely, by his own logic, he realised that such innovation was not his innovation, but rather of the innovation of the people making the guitars who had nothing to do with such experiments and were completely unaware they even existed.

2. Madonna's Ray of Light Wikipedia page is horrendous simply because of the 'Legacy' section which features quotes from journalists trying to convince you so many horribly incorrect facts. I actually wrote a 1,955 word rant about this whole debacle in November, which I can republish it here should anyone want to see it. I comically get quite worked up.

3. Cocteau Twins' Treasure has replaced Heaven or Las Vegas as my favourite of their albums. It's just so gorgeous. Ethereal bliss. Ivo and Lorelei, now they are how you start an album.

4. Today I wrote the entire Wikipedia page for James' 1994 album Wah Wah, which was a collaboration with Brian Eno, and consists of improvised experimental pieces. You may know it, you may not, but here's the link to my page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wah_Wah" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other recent Wikipedia album articles I've written in March 2016:
Cardiacs - Sing to God - 1 March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_to_God" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock - 3 March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughing_Stock_(album" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
The Beautiful South - 0898 Beautiful South - 7 March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0898_Beautiful_South" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kingdom Come (Arthur Brown band) - Journey - 8 March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_(Kingdom_Come_album" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Band of Susans - The Word and the Flesh - 9 March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Word_and_the_Flesh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Band of Susans - Veil - 10 March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_(album" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Stump - A Fierce Pancake - 12 March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fierce_Pancake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wolfstone - Seven - 14 March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_(Wolfstone_album" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

For older articles I've written (most of which date from December 2015-February 2016), see my horrible user page User:TangoTizerWolfstone that I haven't really touched in years except to add to the list of albums I've written.

101reykjavik

Re: Random music posts

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Mar 2016, 21:36

Here's a random one, but I've been hearing Underworld's new one, I Exhale, a lot on BBC 6 Music the last couple of weeks. It's probably just me, but every time I hear it I expect it to transmute into Me, White Noise: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izZYfo58-E
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 23 Mar 2016, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 23 Mar 2016, 23:17

:lol: I really enjoy it though. The album's great. And the video's hilarious.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Mar 2016, 00:00

It's not a criticism, it's a good track. It's just it sets off this little thing in my brain every time!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Mar 2016, 03:55

Acclaimed, well-loved albums with songs that most people don't like or would take out the track list [Not me, but sorta consensus]

Radiohead - Fitter Happier/Electioneering - OK Computer
Radiohead - The National Anthem/Treefingers - Kid A
Numerous songs on the apparently perfect first five or so Beatles albums
The Beatles - Yellow Submarine - Revolver
The Beatles - Within You Without You - Sgt Pepper
The Beatles - Ob-La-Di/Revolution 9 - White Album
Van Morrison - The Way Young Lovers Do - Astral Weeks
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - Pet Sounds
The Rolling Stones - Turd on the Run - Exile on Main St
Pixies - La La Love You - Doolittle
My Bloody Valentine - Touched - Loveless
The Smiths - Some Girls are Bigger than Others - The Queen is Dead
Primal Scream - Insect Royalty - XTRMNTR
Daft Punk - Rollin' & Scratchin'/Rock'n' Roll - Homework
The Chemical Brothers - It Doesn't Matter/Don't Stop the Rock - Dig Your Own Hole
R.E.M. - Sidewinder/New Orleans Instrumental No. 1 - Automatic for the People
The Prodigy - Fuel My Fire - The Fat of the Land
and in some instance The Doors - The End - The Doors

And not forgetting this very forum's inexplicable dislike of Norwegian Wood.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Mar 2016, 10:55

It's funny - on those Beatles examples in particular, I was listening to a music podcast the other day with music journos Mark Ellen and David Hepworth. And they were discussing this theory, just a theory, that for all their brilliance, are there any Beatles albums where you wouldn't skip ONE track. They arrived at the conclusion A Hard Day's Night was the only one. What say you?

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 26 Mar 2016, 21:19

I haven't spoken about some artist at length, but I might give a try at something people might not be all that familiar with for a start :)
So, I've spoken about the talent of Bobby Darin in a bit in The Beatles thread, but some random thoughts always come up when I listen to his records, so I might have extend these here.
He got popular both is US and the UK with the pop-hits like "Splish Splash" (not that good) and "Dream Lover" (really good) in late 50's and his career peaked with some releases like "That's All" and "Darin at the Copa". He produced some good songs in the 1960s such as "If I Were a Carpenter" and "Simple Song of Freedom", but was too dived in the acting and political career... Given all the information, I still can't really decide whether he wanted to pursue musical career as fully as other singers like Sinatra or Dean Martin were doing... He was definitely more interesting the other two, because he was writing his own songs, as well as singing some things from Great American Songbook and covering other artists (like the Beatles). His live performances were great, and he had some grooviness and sense of funk in them, especially in the last years, which is shown in the "Live at the Desert Inn", which was recorded in 1971 only to be released two decades later. And it will always interested me could he have become more popular around the world if he made more consistent records like other singers/songwriters did.. And of course if he lived longer - it is still incredible how long he lived with the weak heart. So, I wonder how he could have evolved and maybe stayed on track with the modern influences and performed with the younger artists like Tony Bennett, who basically found a gold mine by making those duets with different performers. Darin stayed in touch in 1970s, he was getting back on track, I believe, and who knows where he might have been now... So, this is of his last performance on Carson in 1973 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmpry-pH5ws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I really like. Such a diversity - here is an older one, the one from 1959's "That's All" - "Through A Long And Sleepless Night" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aGaSDweqqU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edit: this is one more - Moon River, which is a beautiful song in any measure and he sings it really well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf2C32UtHH4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Consigliere_11 on 26 Mar 2016, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 26 Mar 2016, 21:22

101reykjavik wrote:It's funny - on those Beatles examples in particular, I was listening to a music podcast the other day with music journos Mark Ellen and David Hepworth. And they were discussing this theory, just a theory, that for all their brilliance, are there any Beatles albums where you wouldn't skip ONE track. They arrived at the conclusion A Hard Day's Night was the only one. What say you?
What would they skip in Abbey Road? Maxwell's Silver Hammer is not that bad :lol:
So, to my mind Abbey Road and Revolver would be the two (although, I would tempted to skip Love You To, to be honest), although my favorite is still Sgt. Pepper's.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 26 Mar 2016, 21:57

Love You To is the second best song on Revolver after Tomorrow Never Knows :P

But yeah, you're right 101reykjavik, there's a lot of skippables (according to the general consensus I feel) on the early albums.

The intervening albums between AHDN and Revolver: Help! has Dizzy Miss Lizzy ("Ian MacDonald criticised the song as "an unprepossessing shambles of ersatz hysteria and jumbled double-tracking", saying it was "little better" than Williams' "drab twelve-bar boogie" original,"") and of course, Beatles for Sale has the much despised Mr Moonlight. Rubber Soul itself I'm not so sure, other than this forum's inexplicable dislike for the lovely Norwegian Wood.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 26 Mar 2016, 22:46

I don't dig George's India-inspired songs, so that's why I tend to skip it. Although Love You To is better than Within or Without You.
Who doesn't like Norwegian Wood? It is indeed a lovely song that fits the record!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Mar 2016, 01:48

It was first or second to go in the Rubber Soul Survivor. Maybe the voters had rubber souls...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Mar 2016, 02:38

I had to obviously chime in regarding "Pet Sounds"...I've seldom heard that criticism before...I know Brian composed it to be a James Bond theme song..... I've often heard though that people thought "Sloop John B" didn't belong, but I absolutely beg to differ!

I love "Norwegian Word"... it could just have been chosen an early vote off because every song on "Rubber Soul" (including that one) is of superior quality. Not like selecting the "suckiest" of the bunch or anything of that extreme.....

I can never skip on anything on both "Pet Sounds" and "Revolver".... No way possible!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Mar 2016, 04:11

Yeah except its one of the best songs on Rubber Soul! :P I remember Tom in particular saying he didn't like it, not sure who else.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Mar 2016, 04:37

AdvertBreak wrote:Yeah except its one of the best songs on Rubber Soul! :P I remember Tom in particular saying he didn't like it, not sure who else.

I would rank it up there... but I actually rank "Think For Yourself", "Nowhere Man", "The Word", and "Girl" higher..... I would rank "What Goes On" the worst and I know John hated "Run For Your Life" himself, but I don't mind it...."Wait" did not entirely fit since it was recorded prior the "Rubber Soul" sessions..... I must admit my most fave 1965 Beatles song is "I'm Down"....especially how they captured it live!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 27 Mar 2016, 09:47

Yeah, count me in as a Norwegian Wood lover!! I don't know who those people were voting it out early in the survivor but it was quite frankly a joke that it went so soon. One of the best tracks on the album.

Though I will be a contrarian about The Word. I know lots of people really love it, but I've simply never got it. That receives a skip from me very often.