Go-Go's Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Go-Go's Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Mar 2016, 00:42

I bet this won't generate that many views/replies, but they have not only been just one of my all-time fave "girl groups", but all-time fave bands in general! They've endured quite a bit and are even now at their peak (however with their very talented and beautiful bassist, Kathy Valentine who was let go back in 2013).....

I know they probably didn't break it through in the UK, but of course for "Our Lips Are Sealed" mainly because of their rhythm-guitarist/vocalist, Jane Wiedlin and her affair w/Terry Hall (which inspired both theirs and FB3 version)....

Who else likes them?

dparrott

Re: Go-Go's Thread

Post by dparrott » 19 Mar 2016, 19:20

I love OLAS, I can even play the bassline! Totally takes me back to being an 80's kid.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Mar 2016, 12:16

dparrott wrote:I love OLAS, I can even play the bassline! Totally takes me back to being an 80's kid.

Yeah...Kathy's (former bassist) basslines really defined them in general. She was the last of the classic line-up to join (the missing link) and then ousted from the band in early 2013. They haven't performed in 2-years, but it appears they might be on the verge of going on their final tour and I hope Kathy joins them!

Yeah....they always take me back to my youth and their sound still has stood the test of time indeed!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Mar 2016, 07:31

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I know they probably didn't break it through in the UK, but of course for "Our Lips Are Sealed" mainly because of their rhythm-guitarist/vocalist, Jane Wiedlin and her affair w/Terry Hall (which inspired both theirs and FB3 version)....
I prefer their version of 'Our Lips Are Sealed' which was a minor UK hit. I didn't know Jane Wiedlin had had a relationship with Terry Hall. Not sure how that would have come about, but it explains how FB3 got the song and had a big hit with it a year later. With a sparser UK production typical of the time.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Mar 2016, 15:01

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I know they probably didn't break it through in the UK, but of course for "Our Lips Are Sealed" mainly because of their rhythm-guitarist/vocalist, Jane Wiedlin and her affair w/Terry Hall (which inspired both theirs and FB3 version)....
I prefer their version of 'Our Lips Are Sealed' which was a minor UK hit. I didn't know Jane Wiedlin had had a relationship with Terry Hall. Not sure how that would have come about, but it explains how FB3 got the song and had a big hit with it a year later. With a sparser UK production typical of the time.

The Go-Gos were the Specials supporting act on the Specials late 1980 tour and that's how their brief tryst began. Terry mailed out a sample of the song with incomplete lyrics and Jane ended-up completing it later on....Here's an acoustic version done by Jane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8I_uIv45HY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's also her performing a solo version on my 24th B-Day (but I wasn't there, wish I was!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz5S68nQedo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Mar 2016, 06:06

I see - it is co-written by Hall & Wiedlin. Didn't know that :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Mar 2016, 12:12

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I see - it is co-written by Hall & Wiedlin. Didn't know that :)

Yeah and a more less significant topic...I've always had a MAJOR crush on Jane Wiedlin and still do...she's aged quite well!

Anyways, they announced their "Farewell Tour" for this Summer, but unfortunately it looks like their classic line-up bassist, Kathy Valentine, isn't included... Oh well...I would have definitely attended their Phoenix concert otherwise!