Menswe@r, whom I dislike

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Menswe@r, whom I dislike

Post by AdvertBreak » 12 Mar 2016, 19:58

I don't like seeing people on ilxor liking Menswear when they hate most music, including my beloved 13, etc

So the point is this thread is that, despite being praised by, like, Ned Raggett, do we all hate them here as manufactured, cliched, unoriginal, bland pop, who at their most interesting were ripping off five Wire songs at once, or does anyone here have sympathy for them over other third rate Britpop bands.

Morgan C Hoax, who you know is Graham, is thanked in the liner notes of Nuisance. Hmmm.

dparrott

Re: Menswe@r, whom I dislike

Post by dparrott » 12 Mar 2016, 21:21

Loved them back then, still listen to them sometimes.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 12 Mar 2016, 21:25

I can listen to them.. nothing wrong with songs like "Sleeping In".

Now Shed Seven on the other hand..

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Mar 2016, 23:36

Funnily enough I'd be the other way around. Shed Seven are palpable rubbish, no argument there. But there are a few of their songs I can listen to, but Menswe@r - no.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Mar 2016, 00:09

I don't mind a bit of Shed Seven, but they aren't half boring. Memories of doing my Art GCSE trawling their way through the first two albums and basically thinking "Oh god!! No!! They're just so samey and boring and it works exactly like background music should even though they're supposed to be a swaggery indie band and shit."

Always been interested in what their later stuff was like. She Left me on a Friday or whatever its called is quite okay, but I don't even remember the album its on that well, good sign or bad sign I dunno, but I'll play it again some time.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Mar 2016, 08:07

Menswear broke through at about the time of the Blur vs Oasis chart battle. And when Radio 1 started playing indie records during daytime. So they were swept up in that current, and got lots of media attention.

Of all the 'big-time' Britpop artists, they were always considered as the bottom of the pile. Hanging onto the coat tails of a scene.

I bought the album, though I never saw them live. They played at a venue near me, but unlike other artists, nobody else I knew wanted to go - maybe that says something?

So I gave that show a miss. By comparison, when Shed Seven played, IIRC four of us went to see them.

Shed Seven I remember fondly - they had their moments, in particular some good singles. But they epitomise 90s indie by numbers, and I recently played the 'Change Giver' album, and it struck me as disappointing. If you wanted to demonstrate how good music could be in that period, you wouldn't play it.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 18 Mar 2016, 08:15

That's exactly it with Shed Seven. I did enjoy "Change Giver" and "A Maximum High" in the day, but when I listened to them again years later the albums struck me as awfully boring, and Rick Witter as a terrible singer.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Mar 2016, 09:06

It was great that the 'second-tier Britpop' artists (Elastica, Sleeper, Echobelly, Cast, Shed Seven, The Bluetones, Menswear etc) had big hits. And a lot of those hits were good songs. But retrospectively their albums have a 'by numbers' feel to them.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 19 Mar 2016, 19:24

I wouldn't lump The Bluetones in with that bunch, they kind of had their own sound going on that wasn't blasting guitars. Until the cash-in that is Luxembourg! :roll:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 19 Mar 2016, 19:28

The Bluetones were good! Although I'm not sure they were ever too distinctive. Expecting to Fly is still a classic though. Don't believe everything Armando Iannucci tells you. Also, Elastica deserve to be separate too.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 19 Mar 2016, 20:04

Bluetones had more of a mature sound than the others.

daii

Post by daii » 22 Mar 2016, 22:58

I considere myself a britpop fan and never heard of Menswear until I was reading "britpop, the last party" and they are described as a joke. Then I saw a video of them, and it's much worse. They look like those kind of band invented for a movie.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 23 Mar 2016, 14:58

The Menswear bits in The Last Party make them sound like the most boring band ever. I love how he puts that he'll only cover them because he considers them to be the nadir of the third rate bands, the antagonist of this great story as it were. I liked his comments about their Japan-only second album too.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Mar 2016, 07:49

Elastica and The Bluetones tend to be regarded as 'better' than some of their Britpop peers. This is undoubtedly true in relation to Menswear.

But I think that the differences between e.g. Elastica, The Bluetones, Sleeper, Echobelly, Lush, Cast, Shed Seven, Mansun can be negligible.

And what about Dodgy? I think they were better than all of them, but they tend to be overlooked. :|

Elastica in particular were disappointing, given all the interest they received. I remember discussing the debut album in the pub just after it was released. The consensus was that "something was lacking" and it was disappointing.

And then there was the endless wait for a follow-up, caused by difficulties within the band - listening to an old live performance from Radio 1 in 1995, I suspect Justine Frischmann's domineering manner had a bearing on this. :evil:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Mar 2016, 08:06

Elastica never really delivered on the hype, did they? They were effectively a two or three song band really. They didn't even have a whole album in them. And yet... they would invariably be placed way, way above Menswe@r in the pantheon on Britpop. I agree Mallard, the margins are narrower between a lot of these groups than received wisdom would indicate.

I didn't particularly ever like Dodgy, but that's more of a matter of taste than anything. I bought Bluetones music, I never bought Dodgy. Bluetones felt a little more Britpop centric (i.e. nostalgic tinged) than Dodgy to my ear. Dodgy just seemed like bouncy guitar pop that could have existed at any time. But as I say, I stand to be corrected on the subject of Dodgy, there's a lot I haven't heard.