RIP Keith Emerson

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: RIP Keith Emerson

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Apr 2016, 04:44

Oooh oooh let me talk about 90s prog!

Okay, the main problem with prog bands in the 90s was the CD format. CDs became the main format for music approx '88 onwards and they were 74 minutes and later 80 minutes long and prog musicians being the ambitious folk they always were took advantage of it.

"The big 4" prog bands:
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (1994) - 66:32
Genesis - We Can't Dance (1991) - 71:38
Genesis - Calling All Stations (1997) - 67:42
Yes - Union (1991) - 69:52
Yes - Talk (1994) - 55:02
Yes - Open Your Eyes (1997) - 74:12 (the last 23 minutes of this shit album are quite literally the wilderness. Lots of nature sounds).
Yes - The Ladder (1999) - 60:19
King Crimson - Thrak (1995) - 56:30

Whereas the ideal length for a vinyl LP has always been about 40-45 minutes (unless you want poorer sound quality), CDs were practically twice as long. And so prog bands essentially started making what would have been double albums back in the 70s. The problem? Filler obviously. I'd say those albums all have a few...ehhh songs, except solid Thrak. You'll find a lot of people thinking they'd need a trimming. So good on ELP for not sticking to 46 minute albums.

Mike Oldfield you mention had some, namely:
Amarok (1990) - 60:02 (in all fairness, its one whole suite)
Tubular Bells II (aka Fuck You Virgin) (1992) - 58:34
The Snore of the Distant Bore (1994) - 55:51
Voyager (1996) - 58:30 (Oldfield goes Celtic (!!!))

Of course, this long CD length thing spreads to other non-alternative ambitious arty...stuff. So like Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion albums for example, both are 76 minutes long, for all their theatrics and pomposity and vulgarity, and Tool, well, all their albums seem to be like 76 minutes long. In the former case its hilarious because they'd had to break the recording sessions into two albums anyway.

The 90s being a renaissance for prog? Hmm interesting. Well The Division Bell was very big (biggest since the Wall iirc) and had a huge tour, although it was just the next album by Pink Floyd, or that's how I see it. The legal issues had been resolved and so it was time for Gilmour Floyd's second album. And that's it (I guess).

But I agree with you on the rest of it. Yes' Union was the big 'reunion' album so I can guess that was largely hyped. And Tubular Bells II was hyped because, well, its the sequel to Tubular Bells, although it only existed to piss Richard Branson off, essentially. And it was his first #1 album in the UK since Tubular Bells unless I'm mistaken (Hergest Ridge was number 1 too but before Tubular Bells). Phil Collins Genesis were just being Phil Collins Genesis, and Ray Wilson Genesis, well, were just being awful but naturally it was hyped.

This is how I see it.

Mallard No. 22

Re: RIP Keith Emerson

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Apr 2016, 07:14

These artists were merely having a second wind in the 90s. The original fans, now middle-aged, would buy new material by a favoured artist from their youth, and their children might get into them as well.

Re: Mike Oldfield - his three big 70s albums were Tubular Bells (1973), Hergest Ridge (1974) & Ommadawn (1975). He had a run of albums after this, two of which (in 1982-83) also made the top ten.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."