Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

RIP Keith Emerson

Post by AdvertBreak » 11 Mar 2016, 19:50

Not really into ELP myself, but very sad news nonetheless :(

KingLouieLouie76

Re: RIP Keith Emerson

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Mar 2016, 20:23

Oh no....one of the most talented keyboardists to ever live! We were all certainly lucky for his contributions in music and the legacy he left behind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89g1P_J40JA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 11 Mar 2016, 21:25

Shit. Really? Bloody hell, is it just I'm hyper aware of this now because of a few high profile deaths or is 2016 racking up as the most lethal year for people in the public eye in recent times?! We're only in mid-March.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 11 Mar 2016, 21:57

It all began in December though it seems, with Mick Lynch. It's been a horrible time for music deaths :(

And yes Louie, he was one of the most talented keyboardists ever. (nice bit from Allmusic: "perhaps the greatest, most technically accomplished keyboardist in rock history".)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 11 Mar 2016, 22:07

Apparently its being investigated as suicide, he apparently had a gunshot wound on his head.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 11 Mar 2016, 22:17

Sounds grim. Nasty business. :(

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Mar 2016, 23:54

AdvertBreak wrote:Apparently its being investigated as suicide, he apparently had a gunshot wound on his head.

Lord...still doesn't diminish from the fact that he died... but wow.... That's how Bob Welch and Del Shannon also passed (a few others), but those are two relatively recent examples of musicians resorting to that... My deepest prayers to his family....Again, reflects on how musicians are all human like us...which some just tend to overlook....

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Mar 2016, 07:51

The top of the music business can be a pretty unforgiving and brutal place to be. Sadly as we've seen many times, it sometimes takes its toll. As you say, thoughts are with his family. Can't begin to imagine how horrible that would be to come to terms with. RIP Keith.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Mar 2016, 09:30

101reykjavik wrote:The top of the music business can be a pretty unforgiving and brutal place to be. Sadly as we've seen many times, it sometimes takes its toll. As you say, thoughts are with his family. Can't begin to imagine how horrible that would be to come to terms with. RIP Keith.
Per this article....http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/11/keith-eme ... h-suicide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Emerson, Lake & Palmer co-founder had recently been suffering from a serious medical problem -- a degenerative nerve issue in his right hand ... according to our sources. We're told he could only play the keyboard with 8 fingers at this point and knew it was only going to get worse.

As a result, he was struggling with depression.
That indeed puts it all into perspective...just obviously so unfortunate that he didn't receive the proper medical (mental) assistance in time to deal w/his condition.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Mar 2016, 09:32

Ah, okay. How horrid, that would explain it to some extent however tragic of course. Poor guy. :(

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Mar 2016, 07:30

Yes, it is very sad and a bit shocking, that such a guy now in mature years does this. But he is a showman and a perfectionist. He wouldn't want to be a failure at any stage in his career, and he would want to bow out of music gracefully. The hand injury no doubt tormented him greatly.

Keith Emerson is liked by music fans, but on the subject of Emerson Lake & Palmer as a band, a common opinion is "they are not really my thing". As though they went a bit beyond what can be fathomed.

'Fanfare For The Common Man' is a good rock single, and very accessible to the general audience. When you see the promo film (at Montreal stadium IIRC, before a gig) accompanied by the song, it oozes the period it is from.... 8-)

Whereas a lot of other Emerson Lake & Palmer music is heavier-going, and more difficult to get into. When listening to it, you can see why prog rock got an 'overblown' reputation. ELP were the ultimate manifestation of this, to the extent they went beyond prog into so-called 'pomp rock'.

Though I should listen to some of their work again for a re-appraisal. They weren't all bad, e.g. 'Still....You Turn Me On' was a Led Zep style ballad by Greg Lake.

The individual members also did good work in the period immediately prior to ELP; Emerson was in The Nice, Lake in King Crimson and Palmer in The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown/Atomic Rooster. All wrote or performed on great tracks in this groundbreaking period.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Mar 2016, 01:12

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, it is very sad and a bit shocking, that such a guy now in mature years does this. But he is a showman and a perfectionist. He wouldn't want to be a failure at any stage in his career, and he would want to bow out of music gracefully. The hand injury no doubt tormented him greatly.

Keith Emerson is liked by music fans, but on the subject of Emerson Lake & Palmer as a band, a common opinion is "they are not really my thing". As though they went a bit beyond what can be fathomed.

'Fanfare For The Common Man' is a good rock single, and very accessible to the general audience. When you see the promo film (at Montreal stadium IIRC, before a gig) accompanied by the song, it oozes the period it is from.... 8-)

Whereas a lot of other Emerson Lake & Palmer music is heavier-going, and more difficult to get into. When listening to it, you can see why prog rock got an 'overblown' reputation. ELP were the ultimate manifestation of this, to the extent they went beyond prog into so-called 'pomp rock'.

Though I should listen to some of their work again for a re-appraisal. They weren't all bad, e.g. 'Still....You Turn Me On' was a Led Zep style ballad by Greg Lake.

The individual members also did good work in the period immediately prior to ELP; Emerson was in The Nice, Lake in King Crimson and Palmer in The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown/Atomic Rooster. All wrote or performed on great tracks in this groundbreaking period.
I loved their complexity..... "Brain Salad Surgery" is to me at their best... Also, Palmer was a member of Asia (which I've always loved as well).....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Mar 2016, 07:21

I have been giving ELPs 'The Ultimate Collection' a spin again this week. It isn't all bad. :)

Indeed the 70s with Hammond and Moog is worth going back to. Not so fussed on the early 90s with drum machines.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Mar 2016, 15:10

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I have been giving ELPs 'The Ultimate Collection' a spin again this week. It isn't all bad. :)

Indeed the 70s with Hammond and Moog is worth going back to. Not so fussed on the early 90s with drum machines.

I honestly never paid attention to their two 1990's albums and probably won't since several progressive bands were compromising themselves during that time to a certain extent.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Mar 2016, 06:13

Yes, at the time such as Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield had big hit albums. And it was seen as a return to prominence.

But retrospectively we only notice the 'air guitar & drum machine' elements of these records.

Their 70s work seems more definitive.