Elvis Costello thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Post Reply
User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Elvis Costello thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 08 Mar 2016, 02:49

Ur...why hasn't Elvis Costello got a thread? He needs one!

Nothing to say at the moment, I'm too deep into Imperial Bedroom rn. But yeah, love him love him. Huge string of great albums, great songs. A great lyricist, one of the very best. I saw him on the Detour Tour last year and it was brilliant. I'm also reading his autobiography at the moment and I love it.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Mar 2016, 03:32

AdvertBreak wrote:Ur...why hasn't Elvis Costello got a thread? He needs one!

Nothing to say at the moment, I'm too deep into Imperial Bedroom rn. But yeah, love him love him. Huge string of great albums, great songs. A great lyricist, one of the very best. I saw him on the Detour Tour last year and it was brilliant. I'm also reading his autobiography at the moment and I love it.
I could have sworn I actually did (but more than likely on the Blur official forum)...

I've loved his music throughout my entire life...IE w/the Attractions (and I wish they'd reunite)... Earliest memory was "Everyday I Write the Book" when it initially hit the airwaves (IE MTV) and then I listened to back catalog from that point. I've loved most of his recent work, but to me he was at his best w/"the Attractions"!
Image

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1531
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 09 Mar 2016, 09:52

My Aim is True was one of those albums that blew me away. I freaking love Elvis. I saw him in concert in Philadelphia in 1999 (I think). He was only playing with a piano player. At one point he sang a song acapella and away from the mic and everyone could still here him perfectly.

My favorite album is This Year's Model. I remember having the mini poster that came with the cd hanging in my high school locker.
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 09 Mar 2016, 12:38

MsMagicAmerica wrote:At one point he sang a song acapella and away from the mic and everyone could still here him perfectly.
He did that when I saw him too. It really struck me how incredible his voice really is.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Mar 2016, 17:04

MsMagicAmerica wrote:My Aim is True was one of those albums that blew me away. I freaking love Elvis. I saw him in concert in Philadelphia in 1999 (I think). He was only playing with a piano player. At one point he sang a song acapella and away from the mic and everyone could still here him perfectly.

My favorite album is This Year's Model. I remember having the mini poster that came with the cd hanging in my high school locker.

You have excellent taste! I love "My Aim Is True" IE "Mystery Dance" and "Waiting for the End of the World". Just raw and quite "filthy" (in a good way) sounding.... Then, I love the live performances he did w/the Attractions to those songs..... Of course... I cannot forget about "Alison", very splendid indeed!

Also... "This Year's Model" besides the obvious "Radio, Radio" and "Pump It Up", "This Year's Girl" and "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" really stands out.... They captured those songs better live.....

To me...he's vastly underrated....
Image

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1531
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 10 Mar 2016, 02:14

He just had a sound that I never heard before & he didn't fit the rock star image.

Party Girl, I Want You, Miss Macbeth, Blame it on Cain, Red Shoes, Senior Service (best lyrics ever), So Like Candy, Talking in the Dark, & Living In Paradise are my favorite songs by him. I'm sure I forgot a few.

btw, did you guys know HE COVERED A YOKO ONO SONG??!!! Yup, he covered Walking on Thin Ice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mDtb0E8-ps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 Mar 2016, 02:38

My Aim is True is my second favourite Elvis album. However, Imperial Bedroom is my number one. Just a masterpiece. I mean from the very first song, Beyond Belief (best lyrics of any song ever?) through to Town Cryer its a solid gold masterpiece.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Mar 2016, 05:34

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
btw, did you guys know HE COVERED A YOKO ONO SONG??!!! Yup, he covered Walking on Thin Ice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mDtb0E8-ps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh well... I actually never heard of that before.. thanks for sharing...colored me impress!

We've discussed on the Beatles thread a few times before, but I loved when he collaborated w/Paul for "Flowers in the Dirt".... Well... also conversely on "Spike"....Oh did I love "Veronica" back then and still do!
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2440
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Mar 2016, 08:19

Around 1980-81 I thought he was bound for a long UK top 10 career. That never really happened in the sense of big hit singles, but he has maintained a high profile ever since. I am most familiar with his earlier work.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Elvis Costello thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Mar 2016, 08:45

My fave Elvis clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E6fvVaVgOQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which obviously was inspired by the following: https://vk.com/video2590346_168714045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

Post Reply