Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1438
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by aldamasta » 10 Jun 2016, 23:03

^ I agree 100%. Who decided All for One should be the first comeback single? Should've led with Beautiful Thing!

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1121
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Mark72 » 11 Jun 2016, 00:31

aldamasta wrote:^ I agree 100%. Who decided All for One should be the first comeback single? Should've led with Beautiful Thing!
I totally agree. Beautiful thing should of been the lead track.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Jun 2016, 06:01

Was 'All For One' seen as more commercial to a new audience? To ease them into the Roses sound, which they are too young to remember.

'Beautiful Thing' is more of a groove that we know, and what made them good.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 Jun 2016, 12:31

Just two days to go now but my right ear has been blocked for weeks. I've tried to get it sorted but its a slow process, and it means my hearing has been half as loud as usual, and all in the left ear which makes it seem weirder. Guess I won't be hearing it very well :(

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 16 Jun 2016, 22:20

Good not great, which is way more than you can say about All For One.

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Miki » 16 Jun 2016, 22:30

AdvertBreak wrote:Just two days to go now but my right ear has been blocked for weeks. I've tried to get it sorted but its a slow process, and it means my hearing has been half as loud as usual, and all in the left ear which makes it seem weirder. Guess I won't be hearing it very well :(
Might be a blessing in disguise, knowing how bad Ian Brown can sing :lol:
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by AdvertBreak » 18 Jun 2016, 21:10

I saw them last night (17th), and even though I was at the back and my right ear was blocked, it was still great. Unfortunately due to problems with other people I had to miss Buzzcocks and half the Coral :( But I still got to see Public Enemy, and well duh, the Stone Roses. :D

So Public Enemy actually were out of place tbh, but I still enjoyed them a lot. There were very fast and energetic and felt like they kept skipping songs every minute and most people weren't so into it and their declarations of "real hip hop". Fortunately though, they were on top form. And then about 30 minutes after they left the stage, Ian Brown comes on and asks "got yer dancing shoes on?" just before I Wanna Be Adored's bassline begins and there I was taking part in the biggest bloody singalong. From there on they did a great set, and highlights were Don't Stop (seguing naturally from Waterfall), She Bangs the Drums and I Am the Resurrection, which was the last thing they played - no encore, but they'd already played everything anyway, except Beautiful Thing which was the outro music played on the PA instead as fireworks shot above the stadium (not that i could see them very well from where I was). A great night for sure.

Ian's voice was quite quiet Miki, or at least in my ears, but the audience largely drowned out his singing anyway :D

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Miki » 22 Jun 2016, 00:13

AdvertBreak wrote:I saw them last night (17th), and even though I was at the back and my right ear was blocked, it was still great. Unfortunately due to problems with other people I had to miss Buzzcocks and half the Coral :( But I still got to see Public Enemy, and well duh, the Stone Roses. :D

So Public Enemy actually were out of place tbh, but I still enjoyed them a lot. There were very fast and energetic and felt like they kept skipping songs every minute and most people weren't so into it and their declarations of "real hip hop". Fortunately though, they were on top form. And then about 30 minutes after they left the stage, Ian Brown comes on and asks "got yer dancing shoes on?" just before I Wanna Be Adored's bassline begins and there I was taking part in the biggest bloody singalong. From there on they did a great set, and highlights were Don't Stop (seguing naturally from Waterfall), She Bangs the Drums and I Am the Resurrection, which was the last thing they played - no encore, but they'd already played everything anyway, except Beautiful Thing which was the outro music played on the PA instead as fireworks shot above the stadium (not that i could see them very well from where I was). A great night for sure.

Ian's voice was quite quiet Miki, or at least in my ears, but the audience largely drowned out his singing anyway :D
Sounds like your typical Stone Roses gig he he I saw them six times in 2012/13 and all of them can be summed up in your description. One thing for sure: they have one of the most devoted and adoring fanbase, for better or worse, so a SR concert is never going to lack atmosphere. And yes, you often can't hear Ian Brown singing, due to the audience doing it for him. They never do encores, btw. Never. Glad you enjoyed them. They are certainly one class live act.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

Neal Zeal
Posts: 361
Joined: 17 Oct 2014, 16:43

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Neal Zeal » 09 Aug 2016, 20:46

Well it looks like the Stone Roses pop juggernaut lumbers on!
They've announced a small number of Australian dates for December.
Must be a pretty good chance they'll be doing some recording between now and then.
Maybe there'll be an album by next March 5th!

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Aug 2016, 06:19

Neal Zeal wrote:Must be a pretty good chance they'll be doing some recording between now and then.
Yes, time to prepare a middle-aged masterpiece :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Miki » 26 Sep 2016, 15:43

Lemons appeared at Wembley Stadium...

Rumours are for new shows next year. In which case, I would expect new music to appear. If not, they've truly moved to the dark side.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tom_harvey_/ ... 4156934144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7707
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Sep 2016, 18:16

Confirmed:

Tuesday 13th June: SSE Arena, Belfast
Saturday 17th June: Wembley Stadium, London
Saturday 24th June: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal
Posts: 361
Joined: 17 Oct 2014, 16:43

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Neal Zeal » 26 Sep 2016, 20:56

Oh cool - guess that means a new album's probably on its way after all.
Maybe in time for 5th March next year!

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1438
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by aldamasta » 29 Oct 2016, 15:13

^ :lol: that would be great if they released it on March 5! I really think they need to release a new album. They can't keep doing the same old setlists with the addition of the ok All For One (why do they never play Beautiful Thing??)

Sorry to bump this, but I just recently got around to watching their documentary Made of Stone. Anyone else here seen it? If so, what are your thoughts on it? :)

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Miki » 29 Oct 2016, 22:58

aldamasta wrote:^ :lol: that would be great if they released it on March 5! I really think they need to release a new album. They can't keep doing the same old setlists with the addition of the ok All For One (why do they never play Beautiful Thing??)

Sorry to bump this, but I just recently got around to watching their documentary Made of Stone. Anyone else here seen it? If so, what are your thoughts on it? :)
I have seen it of course. Went to the cinema the day it came out. What I thought? I thought for a fan like me there was very little that added to what we already know of the story - though it may be good for someone who is not familiar with them. I thought that their request not to be interviewed for the film (all the voiceovers are from old interviews that fans had already heard) meant that they remained distant and inaccessible. I know that some die hards actually like that (the word in vogue is "mystique"), but it left Shane Meadows with the problem of what to put in the movie. Apart from the brief moments (among my favourites) when he was allowed to get close to the band - backstage at Parr Hall, in a car in Europe, and a few others short footage - Meadows filled the film with fans. Now, the first time I watch the film, I thought it was funny, but when I saw it again on DVD I found that I was skipping the fans interviews. They became boring very quickly - and some frankly are moronic. Meadows also took some liberties with the edit for dramatic effect - he showed the episode in Amsterdam, when Reni walked out before the encore and Ian Brown called him a c*nt in front of the audience, as the last show in the European tour the preceded Heaton Park, cutting then to the main show. But in reality Amsterdam was one of the first shows in that run and there were half a dozen more between the show down in Holland and the homecoming gig.There was plenty of time to smooth the incident, which in the film is exaggerated. But that is the crunch of the movie: Shane Meadows makes films. He makes dramatic films. He's not t maker of documentaries. And as a documentary "Made of Stone" could have been a lot better if had dared more, instead of playing it like the fan in awe that he is. It's not that I dislike the movie, but, yeah... "No Distance Left To Run" is a much better doc.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

Post Reply