Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Moritz

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by Moritz » 13 May 2016, 17:04

The song is Ok, they had to make something better with the riff. Far away from they best stuff, it's the question if more stuff will even follow.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 13 May 2016, 17:38

Someone on my twitter last night commented that the riff is "Paperback Writer," which I thought was a good analysis. My response to him was "Yes, minus great lyrics, great production, and the genius."

I'm now not expecting anything from the album (if this is indeed leading toward a new album). Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but if this first statement in 22 years is anything to go by, I doubt it.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 13 May 2016, 20:10

The riff is from a seahorses b side cant remember what one though

Miki

Post by Miki » 13 May 2016, 21:37

The riff is pilfered from The Fall.

My take on it (and I am a huge SR fan) is "One Love meets Love is the Law". It's weird, because what made the Roses great was the chemistry between Brown and Squire and what they both brought to the table. And here they both bring their stuff to the table, but instead of The Stone Roses, we get The Seahorses and some of Ian Brown's solo. And it merges into something really strange.

As for the song: it's okay. It will sound good at the live shows. Piss-throwing "lads" will lap it up. But as a Stone Roses song... not even close. Squire does great things with the guitar (beside the riff) but Mani and Reni have disappeared. Mani is so low in the mix, you have to really listen carefully to pick him up. Reni has no groove. Ian sings well enough, but the lyrics are shocking even for him. Bryan Adams and Sting did better :roll: :lol: The production feels rushed and careless and I'm not even going totalk about the "art" work.

It's a fun song and taken for what it is, it's a 7/10. For a band like the SR is more of a 4.

It's been a weird week. I was never a Radiohead fan and they made an album I absolutely love. I love the Stone Roses to death and they made a song I don't hate, but don't love either. It's a catchy number and if this were their first song, I'd probably think they were great, but it's the Stone Roses and they used to be stellar, so this kind of pales in comparison. And so I'm left with loving Radiohead better than The Stone Roses. I must have stepped into a parallel universe :lol:
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 14 May 2016, 08:08

Miki wrote:The riff is pilfered from The Fall.

My take on it (and I am a huge SR fan) is "One Love meets Love is the Law". It's weird, because what made the Roses great was the chemistry between Brown and Squire and what they both brought to the table. And here they both bring their stuff to the table, but instead of The Stone Roses, we get The Seahorses and some of Ian Brown's solo. And it merges into something really strange.

As for the song: it's okay. It will sound good at the live shows. Piss-throwing "lads" will lap it up. But as a Stone Roses song... not even close. Squire does great things with the guitar (beside the riff) but Mani and Reni have disappeared. Mani is so low in the mix, you have to really listen carefully to pick him up. Reni has no groove. Ian sings well enough, but the lyrics are shocking even for him. Bryan Adams and Sting did better :roll: :lol: The production feels rushed and careless and I'm not even going totalk about the "art" work.

It's a fun song and taken for what it is, it's a 7/10. For a band like the SR is more of a 4.

It's been a weird week. I was never a Radiohead fan and they made an album I absolutely love. I love the Stone Roses to death and they made a song I don't hate, but don't love either. It's a catchy number and if this were their first song, I'd probably think they were great, but it's the Stone Roses and they used to be stellar, so this kind of pales in comparison. And so I'm left with loving Radiohead better than The Stone Roses. I must have stepped into a parallel universe :lol:
Great review, Miki. You write really well. Are you a journalist?
I'm not the world's biggest SR fan (don't even have the second album) but think they are one of a very small number of groups who have at least 10 near-perfect songs. It reminded me of the Sea Horses, too (the Mad Lizzie Crumb, one). Not sure why exactly. Maybe the guitar sound.
Yes, the riff is similar to that Fall song but that's where the similarity ends.

Miki

Post by Miki » 14 May 2016, 16:56

Ah thanks... not I'm not a journalist, only a music enthusiast :mrgreen:

Miki

Post by Miki » 15 May 2016, 22:23

All that said, I'm warming up to the song. It has a Revolver/Paperback vibe. The lyrics are shocking, but the tune is not bad at all.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 15 May 2016, 22:47

Miki wrote:All that said, I'm warming up to the song. It has a Revolver/Paperback vibe. The lyrics are shocking, but the tune is not bad at all.
Oh, glad to hear. I've only heard it a handful of times - it could well grow on me.
Must admit, I always thought the lyrics were the Stone Roses' achilles heel - it was the melodies (especially the guitar melodies) that were their forté. So I'm surprised that they're getting so much stick for the words to the new single.
Some examples from the past.
"Any time you want me, any time at all. Any time you need me. All you've got to do is call".
"Take my hand baby I'm your man"
"A girl consumed by fire, we all know her desire"
They seemed to veer between cliched, mumbo jumbo and plain gibberish!
Admittedly, sometimes they could be quite affecting (Sally Cinnamon) but, for me, that was more exception than rule...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 19 May 2016, 06:13

I heard it on 6Music. Sounded like The Stone Roses, nothing more, nothing less.... :)

Will it grow on me....? :?:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Miki

Post by Miki » 19 May 2016, 18:21

Neal Zeal wrote:
Miki wrote:All that said, I'm warming up to the song. It has a Revolver/Paperback vibe. The lyrics are shocking, but the tune is not bad at all.
Oh, glad to hear. I've only heard it a handful of times - it could well grow on me.
Must admit, I always thought the lyrics were the Stone Roses' achilles heel - it was the melodies (especially the guitar melodies) that were their forté. So I'm surprised that they're getting so much stick for the words to the new single.
Some examples from the past.
"Any time you want me, any time at all. Any time you need me. All you've got to do is call".
"Take my hand baby I'm your man"
"A girl consumed by fire, we all know her desire"
They seemed to veer between cliched, mumbo jumbo and plain gibberish!
Admittedly, sometimes they could be quite affecting (Sally Cinnamon) but, for me, that was more exception than rule...
Nah, I disagree. Their lyrics where always much better than All for One. She Bang The Drums, Waterfall, Made of Stone, Bye Bye Badman, Sugar Spun Sister, Mersey Paradise, Standing Here, Where Angels Play... they are very poetic and little clever numbers. You actually chose the exceptions (One Love is one of their weakest songs imo, and I disagree totally on This is the One. There are some truly clever lines in that song - "I'd like to leave the country/For a month of Sundays/Burn the town where I was born" I love that line. It's very reletable).

Lyrics are - like music - subjective though. I'm a Beck fan and many people consider his lyrics made up nonsense... but he is in fact a brilliant lyricist. And I have heard similar accusations directed at Blur ;)

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 25 May 2016, 08:30

Oh dear - probably the clearest evidence yet of no more music to come, in this interview with Virgin EMI's MD over at Music Week.
http://www.musicweek.com/talent/read/th ... bum/064862" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“They very much wanted it to be a ‘We’re back’ thing,” said Cawley. “They’ve got the new song for their gigs which is a nice touch for the fans. We were expecting a lot of buzz but I don’t know if we were fully expecting it to be as massive as it was.”
“There’s no sign of an album as of yet unfortunately,” he said. “But hopefully this is the start of them doing something good. Maybe, in this day and age [we should] end up just doing occasional singles into an album. I’d love to get more and more songs out of them but I’m not holding my breath. With one [song] after 21 years, by that work rate I think we’ll have an album in 2214!”

I'm not a massive fan (only have the first album) but feel pretty sorry for those who are. Also, glad I didn't shell out for a ticket for this summer's concerts as would only have done so to hear new songs.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 May 2016, 20:48

I think that's a fair point in that quote, in this day and age, a few singles every now and then is probably not an illogical way to go. I'm not sure The Stone Roses quite have the motivation or drive to do a full album any more. Just my gut feeling. As Neal Zeal says though, if you're a huge fan, I can quite understand the agony of wanting more. The satisfaction to us fans of Blur delivering TMW was on a whole other level to the more transitory excitement of the few singles that came in the years before.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 May 2016, 06:34

I think the Stone Roses are probably best left where they are. As a body of existing work.

An album nowadays might look like a tired parody.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 27 May 2016, 17:37

NME is reporting Public Enemy is supporting them in Manchester Stadium :o :?: :?: :?:

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 27 May 2016, 19:29

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I think the Stone Roses are probably best left where they are. As a body of existing work.

An album nowadays might look like a tired parody.
Agreed. That new song was so poor, and I don't know whether to laugh or smash my head against my desk when I read some fans claiming it's a great song and shows the Roses are "back." If that's a great song, I don't wanna know where they're back from! :lol:

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem