Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: Stone Roses new album out this Friday (5th March)...

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Oct 2016, 12:40

I'm seeing them again at Wembley (same story as before, my dad got surprise tickets for us.)

This time I'm not that interested, especially as there are countless bands I prefer that I'd rather see live. I'd rather see The Cure who he went off to see a few days ago in Budapest.

Regardless I'm happy I'm going, but they better have some more new material out by then.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 30 Oct 2016, 20:49

I agree with pretty much all you said. I understand how awesome it must have been for Meadows to be making a documentary of his favorite band, but it got a bit cringey at times for me. Especially around the Amsterdam gig whenever he filmed himself acting as if he was about to cry in his hotel room, as if the Roses were ending again. I LOVED seeing the rehearsal footage and some of the backstage stuff at their first reunion gig (Liam's cameo was great, you could tell he was coked up :lol: but I loved seeing him giddy as a kid over the roses), but by the end of the film, with the last part being (what felt like) 50 minutes of Fool's Gold, I found myself thinking "is that it?" Didn't really felt like anything was accomplished with the film.

And I 100% agree that NDLTR is far superior. I don't think I'll find a band reunion film I like more, but I am looking forward to seeing Supersonic.

Miki

Post by Miki » 30 Oct 2016, 23:35

aldamasta wrote:I agree with pretty much all you said. I understand how awesome it must have been for Meadows to be making a documentary of his favorite band, but it got a bit cringey at times for me. Especially around the Amsterdam gig whenever he filmed himself acting as if he was about to cry in his hotel room, as if the Roses were ending again. I LOVED seeing the rehearsal footage and some of the backstage stuff at their first reunion gig (Liam's cameo was great, you could tell he was coked up :lol: but I loved seeing him giddy as a kid over the roses), but by the end of the film, with the last part being (what felt like) 50 minutes of Fool's Gold, I found myself thinking "is that it?" Didn't really felt like anything was accomplished with the film.

And I 100% agree that NDLTR is far superior. I don't think I'll find a band reunion film I like more, but I am looking forward to seeing Supersonic.
Meadows followed the Roses throughout that tour. I saw him filming in Belfast, which was the last show of the tour. I thought we would get more live footage, especially of Heaton Park. But we only got Fools Gold. There are I don't know how many different shots in that sequence and as impressive as it is, I would have been happier with something simpler and more tracks. I thought perhaps we would something in the DVD extras (as Blur did with NDLTR and the whole show in Hyde Park), but instead we got a crappy amateurs video of Spike Island. Can you believe that?
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...