Eric Clapton Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: Eric Clapton Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Mar 2016, 23:16

The Return Of Slowhand: Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concerts - http://tomcaswell.net/2016/03/11/the-re ... -concerts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Mar 2016, 12:20

tom_cas1 wrote:The Return Of Slowhand: Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concerts - http://tomcaswell.net/2016/03/11/the-re ... -concerts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outstanding write-up! So unfortunate that no video footage exists of the entire concert, which I believe applies to any Derek & the Dominos concerts as well.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 13 Mar 2016, 13:56

tom_cas1 wrote:The Return Of Slowhand: Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concerts - http://tomcaswell.net/2016/03/11/the-re ... -concerts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom, that's an excellent write-up! Not being that much of a Clapton fan (I just didn't have a proper listen, to be honest), it was still incredibly interesting to read this one. So I'm listening to "Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs" right now and I will certainly try to dig some bootlegs to get the live atmosphere. Is there anything you can share/recommend?
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 13 Mar 2016, 13:57

Consigliere_11 wrote:
Tom, that's an excellent write-up! Not being that much of a Clapton fan (I just didn't have a proper listen, to be honest), I still had incredible fun reading this one . So I'm listening to "Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs" right now and I will certainly try to dig some bootlegs to get the live atmosphere. Is there anything you can share/recommend?
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Mar 2016, 15:16

Consigliere_11 wrote:
Tom, that's an excellent write-up! Not being that much of a Clapton fan (I just didn't have a proper listen, to be honest), it was still incredibly interesting to read this one. So I'm listening to "Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs" right now and I will certainly try to dig some bootlegs to get the live atmosphere. Is there anything you can share/recommend?
Thank you both! :D

The Dominos have two live albums which I would recommend before going to any bootlegs. In Concert was released in 1973, a full two years after the band broke up, and then Live At The Fillmore was released in 1994 which is essentially an expanded album. Both are great, In Concert probably being the best but Live At The Fillmore contains more tracks. Both essential!!

EDIT: Interesting fact, the Dominos didn't know they were being recorded at Fillmore East and only knew when the album was released in 1973. :lol:

In Concert (1973)

Live At The Fillmore (1994)

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Mar 2016, 08:28

Tom - good write-up and good selection of photos. :D
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Good points about Clapton leaving The Yardbirds. It turned out to be a shrewd move for all concerned. I wonder if that was always the intention - to spread the talent around to create more opportunities for all?
Well, apparently the Yardbirds initially wanted Page to replace Clapton, but he preferred to remain a session-man at the time and if I recall it was Page who recommended that Beck would be the ideal successor.
Session work will have been very lucrative in 1965. There was a lot of 'cash-in-hand' payments to circumnavigate the MU and play anonymously on others records.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Mar 2016, 00:22

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
Session work will have been very lucrative in 1965. There was a lot of 'cash-in-hand' payments to circumnavigate the MU and play anonymously on others records.

Yeah...agreed...also the same applied to JPJ..... Anyways....it's unfortunate that some US sessions musicians (IE Motown) weren't credited and didn't receive any pay for their efforts.....

Going back to Clapton...I think his most underrated work was w/John Mayall (Bluesbreakers)..... Yes, it was before "Clapton is god", but he really evolved more of a guitarist during that time, but obviously didn't become a more complete musician until 2-years later....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Mar 2016, 07:14

I don't know the details of how Motown session players got paid (or didn't....). I assume they were employees so got a (small) fixed wage? Obviously this was insignificant compared to the success of the label.

Not sure whether Clapton leaving The Yardbirds was a masterstroke, or merely a reaction to a situation? If he had stayed in The Yardbirds, would he have left to form Cream?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Mar 2016, 13:11

Technically Ginger Baker was the guy who formed Cream, he drove to Oxford to see Clapton play with the Bluesbreakers one evening and then drove him home to London after the show where they discussed forming a band. It was all Ginger's idea. But him moving on to the Bluesbreakers from The Yardbirds was instrumental in that happening. Clapton was certainly a name on the scene during The Yardbirds but he went to another level entirely playing AND status wise after his move to the Bluesbreakers. That album is the definitive British Blues album, no doubt about it, driven by Clapton's incredible guitar playing.

You've also got to remember that Clapton was one of the main reasons Hendrix wanted to come to England. Everything happened for a reason. :)

Talking of Clapton and Hendrix, here's a cool photo of the two of them at the Speakeasy in London. The exact date is unknown but it's definitely early 1967.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Mar 2016, 14:45

First, there was also Eric Clapton and the Powerhouse just before Cream formed as well.

Yeah, EC again could not tolerate the pop direction of "For Your Love" which obviously minimized his guitar work to virtually nothing. It all worked out ideally for every party involved.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Mar 2016, 16:44

Indeed!

Check out this interview with Clapton from the mid-late 70's where he talks about Hendrix. Really sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j082opb4AZo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Mar 2016, 19:56

tom_cas1 wrote:Indeed!

Check out this interview with Clapton from the mid-late 70's where he talks about Hendrix. Really sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j082opb4AZo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for sharing that! That was so much mutual admiration between the two....I obviously wish they were filmed live jamming together....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Mar 2016, 06:28

tom_cas1 wrote:Clapton was certainly a name on the scene during The Yardbirds but he went to another level entirely playing AND status wise after his move to the Bluesbreakers. That album is the definitive British Blues album, no doubt about it, driven by Clapton's incredible guitar playing.
At the time, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers were extremely potent. They could have become a big commercial success had e.g. Cream and Hendrix not emerged to conquer the market.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Mar 2016, 12:07

Happy #71st B-Day, EC!!!!!!

I honestly do not know if John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers would have ever become a commercial success. They were too hardcore in their Blues sound. The same applied to the Graham Bond Organisation as well.......

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Apr 2016, 04:07

Oh I must know, Clapton fans, have any of you heard his 1997 electronic album?

Retail Therapy was a collaboration between him and keyboardist Simon Climie under the name TDF, and it's electronic dance music in different genres like ambient and drum and bass, with influences nonetheless from jazz, soul and blues

I heard some of it and thought it was a bit boring and obviously coming from someone who knows little about electronica, and the album cover was the first sign hbaha, but I find it an intriguing and interesting record nonetheless.

So it came out in early 1997 at the same time that the likes of David Bowie, U2, James and so forth were also releasing "electronic" albums, especially Bowie, with Earthling. "Electronica" was of course the thing of the time, "electronica" itself pipped to be the next big thing in the US (to the Prodigy's credit, they did get a number 1 album there). But lots of rock acts were getting into it, like the aforementioned and countless (literally countless) others.

The press release advert or something:

I know very little about Clapton's solo career in this era. Did he do anything else like this?