Eric Clapton Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Eric Clapton Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Mar 2016, 12:47

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I must admit I haven't heard the Derek & The Dominoes album :oops: but I have always liked the single 'Layla'.

First, you've been REALLY missing out after all these years! "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" is a masterpiece! I rank it up there w/"Blind Faith". I also loved EC when he performed w/Delaney and Bonnie! The Country roots Rock was ideal for EC at that time to experiment with....really expanded his overall sound.

I hate to say this, but EC's departure from the Yardbirds was the best thing to happen for all parties involved! Jeff Beck was the perfect guitarist for the phase the Yardbirds embarked on and EC really bettered himself first with John Mayall (Bluesbreakers) and of course Cream. For EC to also finally gain confidence in his vocal ability was obviously such a significant development as well!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 Mar 2016, 18:48

Yep, Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs is a must listen, it's widely seen as one of the best albums of all time which is hard to argue with. It still stuns me that it went unnoticed at the time of release and Layla (the song) didn't make any waves until 1972, a full TWO YEARS after it was recorded. Unbelievable.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Mar 2016, 19:03

tom_cas1 wrote:Yep, Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs is a must listen, it's widely seen as one of the best albums of all time which is hard to argue with. It still stuns me that it went unnoticed at the time of release and Layla (the song) didn't make any waves until 1972, a full TWO YEARS after it was recorded. Unbelievable.

Yeah... I know..and another obvious travesty is that the follow-up album would have been amazing! Don't know if it would have equaled/exceeded "Layla", but it did indeed have immense potential (from what was on "Crossroads").....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Mar 2016, 07:50

Good points about Clapton leaving The Yardbirds. It turned out to be a shrewd move for all concerned. I wonder if that was always the intention - to spread the talent around to create more opportunities for all?
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Mar 2016, 11:11

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Good points about Clapton leaving The Yardbirds. It turned out to be a shrewd move for all concerned. I wonder if that was always the intention - to spread the talent around to create more opportunities for all?
Well, apparently the Yardbirds initially wanted Page to replace Clapton, but he preferred to remain a session-man at the time and if I recall it was Page who recommended that Beck would be the ideal successor. That all worked-out so perfectly because Beck was again the ideal guitarist for them during that period and the world wasn't yet ready for what Page eventually was going to introduce. Page turned-out to really enhance the more psychedelic offerings. Too bad though that Beck/Page couldn't remain a combo together, which they were for that brief period.

Back to Clapton, Mayall and later Cream were the perfect outlet for his foray into Blues, he was with far more superior musicians at that time to help him expand his further sound. Just unfortunate Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominoes couldn't record more than one album respectively with each other, but Clapton could not have been tied down whatsoever and it all seemed to work out brilliantly despite the difficult times he endured.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Mar 2016, 12:12

Yes, even though Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos only recorded one album apiece they are both fantastic records. The Blind Faith one is excellent although I feel that the sound on the album could have evolved more if they spent more time on it and more time together as a band, after all the whole Blind Faith thing lasted 8 months. That's it.

Regarding the second Derek and the Dominos album, I'm in two minds. There are some good recordings from the sessions but (for me at least) I don't think they hold a candle to the Layla sessions. The songs Got To Get Better In A Little While, High, Snake Lake Blues, Mean Old Frisco and One More Chance are the highlights, the ones on the Crossroads box set and the super deluxe version of Layla that was released in 2010. However I have a bootleg with more of the second album sessions on and the other stuff that was recorded is poor and incomplete. There's a song called High though that is EXCELLENT, in fact Clapton re-worked that for his 1975 album There's One In Every Crowd. Great song. The Dominos version is more electric and less acoustic. Really good. Clapton would also re-work Mean Old Frisco for his 1977 album Slowhand too.

I'm glad that Clapton had Carl Radle in his solo band when he came back in 1974. Great bassist, hugely underrated. Up there with the best bassists of all time.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Mar 2016, 14:47

tom_cas1 wrote:Yes, even though Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos only recorded one album apiece they are both fantastic records. The Blind Faith one is excellent although I feel that the sound on the album could have evolved more if they spent more time on it and more time together as a band, after all the whole Blind Faith thing lasted 8 months. That's it.
First, I definitely agree w/you on Radle.....very much in demand in the mid-60s even.

Yeah....Clapton obviously fell into the spell of Delaney and Bonnie and who can blame him! Otherwise, there probably wouldn't even have been a Derek & the Dominos!

I agree that Blind Faith could have been more innovative, they were at their best during the electric version of "Can't Find My Way Home" and also on "Well, Alright"....I don't know if Grech was the best bassist for them... hard to say...but Winwood could play bass somewhat.... I wish him and Clapton dueled on lead-guitar though.

My grandmother purchased me "Crossroads" out of nowhere w/out her knowing how much I loved Clapton! I just listened to all of the discs nonstop..... Just too bad (as Dowd has gone on record) how under the influence they were while attempting to record the 2nd album......I loved "Mean Old Frisco".......

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Mar 2016, 15:16

Oh yeah, drugs were the main reason the Dominos fell apart. The breaking point was when Clapton was tuning his guitar before a particular session for the second album and Jim Gordon asked if he'd HIM to tune the guitar. Clapton didn't take too kindly to that and left immediately. I don't think he ever saw Jim Gordon again after that, at least I haven't come across any meetings while writing my biography on them. It's a damn shame, the Clapton/Whitlock writing partnership was fantastic.

In regards to Clapton and Winwood playing duel lead guitar, that did actually happen on tour in America. I have a few photos of Winwood playing guitar on stage, let me see if I can find them for you.

EDIT: Here we go. Blind Faith live at Olympia Stadium, Detroit, MI. 2nd August 1969.

And here's a great photo of Eric from the same show:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Mar 2016, 16:14

Thanks for sharing those photos... it makes me wonder what song Eric and Stevie were jamming out to! Also...in Detroit (where I'm originally from).....

Too bad what obviously became of Jim Gordon... and as we mentioned before...wish Eric and Bobby would record or at least tour w/each other again! Have you spoken to Bobby recently?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Mar 2016, 17:32

I speak to Bobby occasionally, I feel blessed that he gave me his full support and backing for my book. Really means a lot. :)

I'd love for Eric and Bobby to write and record again, especially now that Eric has (for now at least) retired from touring. There really is no reason they haven't worked together since the Dominos, there was, is and never has been any bad blood between them. I think it was a case of Eric being so annoyed at Jim Gordon that he felt he needed to detach himself from the entire band, and the drugs didn't help either.

By the way, I'm just finishing up my Rainbow Concerts article. I'll post the link here when it's done, should be tomorrow!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Mar 2016, 21:57

tom_cas1 wrote:I speak to Bobby occasionally, I feel blessed that he gave me his full support and backing for my book. Really means a lot. :)

I'd love for Eric and Bobby to write and record again, especially now that Eric has (for now at least) retired from touring. There really is no reason they haven't worked together since the Dominos, there was, is and never has been any bad blood between them. I think it was a case of Eric being so annoyed at Jim Gordon that he felt he needed to detach himself from the entire band, and the drugs didn't help either.

By the way, I'm just finishing up my Rainbow Concerts article. I'll post the link here when it's done, should be tomorrow!
I cannot wait for that article.......

Yeah, Gordon we all know ultimately flipped-out which is of course very disheartening... He had a wonderful career up to that point..... Yes, Gordon's piano solo on "Layla" is something it seems everyone is mixed on.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Mar 2016, 23:19

I love the coda for Layla but there's no doubt that he stole it from Rita Coolidge who he was dating roughly around/before the Dominos recorded the Layla album. Completely stolen from her. Whether or not he helped her write it I don't know but take a listen for yourselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJPLcwHOes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Mar 2016, 01:12

tom_cas1 wrote:I love the coda for Layla but there's no doubt that he stole it from Rita Coolidge who he was dating roughly around/before the Dominos recorded the Layla album. Completely stolen from her. Whether or not he helped her write it I don't know but take a listen for yourselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJPLcwHOes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's right...I heard of that a long time ago and since forgotten.. thanks for reminding me!

What's your fave Derek & The Dominos song? Mine is "I Looked Away".....

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Mar 2016, 14:16

Favourite Derek and the Dominos song? Damn, that's a tough one. If we're talking originals it's Anyday but then if you're talking covers, Key To The Highway or Have You Ever Loved A Woman. I love every song though. A perfect album!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Mar 2016, 17:08

tom_cas1 wrote:Favourite Derek and the Dominos song? Damn, that's a tough one. If we're talking originals it's Anyday but then if you're talking covers, Key To The Highway or Have You Ever Loved A Woman. I love every song though. A perfect album!

Yeah...it's a difficult choice indeed...For years my fave was "Bell Bottom Blues", but in recent years "I Looked Away" has surpassed everything else. It just strikes me and I guess relate to the lyrics quite well. All the covers are brilliant and you listed two of my faves right there...."Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" really stands-out.... Their "Little Wing" attempt is decent......

I also love "Eric Clapton"....."Blues Power" and Let It Rain"...."After Midnight of course is the most famous of all, but I must admit I sometimes prefer his 80s remake....which I know some will differ on that! "Roll It Over' is another solid earlier Clapton song I love listening to..... Man..he's brilliant and I wish he didn't retire from touring because I must finally see him live!