Eric Clapton Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Eric Clapton Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Feb 2016, 19:24

I know we've got Cream and Derek and the Dominos threads but I think it's about time we have a full Clapton thread on the forum where we can discuss everything he's done!

I'm excited for his new album I Still Do which is coming out in May, especially as George Harrison features on vocals AND guitar. Not sure how...guess we'll have to find out!

Any other fans here?

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Eric Clapton Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Feb 2016, 20:23

Absolutely.... I might in the minority, but I love his early-late 80s material....To some it might have been too commercial, but "Behind the Sun" and "August" contained several wonderful moments. Also, I always applauded how he has since rediscovered his roots, but songs like "Tears In Heaven" and "Change the World" were outstanding as well.... I used to own the "Crossroads" boxset and would listen to it nonstop.... He's definitely among my all-time faves!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Feb 2016, 08:19

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I love his early-late 80s material....
'Behind The Mask' was a great single.

I am not a pure blues fan, but I do like it when R&B crosses over into other genres which it can do very effectively.

And Eric is someone who can do this.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 22 Feb 2016, 13:33

EC posted on his official FB page that George is *NOT* on the new album. Perhaps Angelo Mysterioso is Dhani? (George was L'Angelo Mysterioso...the L is conspicuously absent...hmmm...)

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Feb 2016, 16:01

Can't he just make his mind up if George is on it or not? :lol:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Feb 2016, 17:30

Well if it does turn out to be Dhani I'll be just as excited, that'll make for an interesting collaboration. :)

In regards to Eric's 1980's output, I'm not a massive fan. Behind The Sun has its moments and August is catchy in places but the production (on August especially) isn't my cup of tea, although 1989's Journeyman is a fantastic return to form. I much prefer his early-mid 1990's output over the 1980's. Unplugged and From The Cradle are two incredible albums and the From The Cradle tour which I have a few bootlegs from is up there with Eric's finest ever tours. Many see From The Cradle and that tour as a return to form, almost a successor to his time with the Bluesbreakers. It's definitely the best his playing had been since the Derek and the Dominos tour of 1970 due to drug and alcohol issues of the 70's and 80's.

Check out this live video from the From The Cradle tour. Three Freddie King numbers, Clapton is on FIRE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVaYwUAOeTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 22 Feb 2016, 19:00

I've always wanted to get into Clapton. I have a Greatest Hits cd that I love & Layla & Other Love Songs, but I don't have any other Clapton albums. Any recommendations?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Feb 2016, 21:44

MsMagicAmerica wrote:I've always wanted to get into Clapton. I have a Greatest Hits cd that I love & Layla & Other Love Songs, but I don't have any other Clapton albums. Any recommendations?
If we're talking solo career then I'd recommend these:

Unplugged - 1992 (you can't go wrong with this one)
461 Ocean Boulevard - 1974
Slowhand - 1977
Clapton - 2010
There's One In Every Crowd - 1975

If you like the blues I'd also recommend From The Cradle - 1994 and Me And Mr. Johnson - 2004.

If we're talking bands that he was a part of, these:

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominos // 1970
Disraeli Gears - Cream // 1967
Wheels Of Fire - Cream // 1968
Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton - John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers // 1966

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 22 Feb 2016, 22:05

Thanks Tom!! When I get home I'll check them out.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Feb 2016, 14:37

You're welcome! I think starting with Unplugged is a good idea, classic album. There's a reason it's sold 26 million copies worldwide! :lol:

I love Clapton, my favourite guitarist of all time. I'm actually putting together an article on his comeback shows at the Rainbow Theatre in 1973, I'll post it when it's up if anyone is interested. Should be next week sometime. :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Feb 2016, 01:53

tom_cas1 wrote:You're welcome! I think starting with Unplugged is a good idea, classic album. There's a reason it's sold 26 million copies worldwide! :lol:

I love Clapton, my favourite guitarist of all time. I'm actually putting together an article on his comeback shows at the Rainbow Theatre in 1973, I'll post it when it's up if anyone is interested. Should be next week sometime. :)

I agree w/you in regards to start w/"Unplugged".... His reworking of "Layla" on there is pure genius in itself!

Tom, did you ever own or listen to the "Crossroads" box-set?

I guess I enjoy his 80s work due to sentimental reasons for the most part...

"From the Cradle" and "Pilgrim" are incredible and I love Riding w/the King"....

I'm definitely looking forward to that article....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Feb 2016, 08:38

I like his mid 60s-early 70s work the best, with the various acts he was a member of.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Feb 2016, 12:15

Oh yeah his 1966-1970 period was definitely the best. In fact it's mind blowing when you think of everything he accomplished in those years.

1966: John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers
1966-1968: Cream/While My Guitar Gently Weeps/The Dirty Mac
1969: Blind Faith/Toronto with Lennon/Delaney & Bonnie
1970: Delaney & Bonnie/Solo Album/Derek and the Dominos

I mean...that's enough to last anyone a lifetime! Starting with the Bluesbreakers and the now legendary 'Beano' album, that really brought him on to the scene. Of course he was known before that as well when he was with The Yardbirds but that 'Beano' album was the big break in many ways, if you can call it that. A number of months later he formed Cream with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker and became a superstar especially when they toured America. The amount of shows they played in three years (1966, 1967, 1968) is more than artists these days play in a decade or more. Night in night out pretty much and often two shows PER NIGHT which doubled the work load. That's something that contributed to Cream's breaking up sadly, the work load was too great.

In 1968 he was asked by George to record the guitar solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps which is as we all know spectacular. It's a shame no photos from that particular session exist, or at least none that I'm aware of. They'd be great to see. A few weeks after Cream broke up he played with The Dirty Mac (Lennon, Clapton, Richards, Mitchell) for a one off show before forming Blind Faith with Steve Winwood in 1969. That didn't last long of course although their one and only album is very very good. It was actually because of Delaney & Bonnie (who supported Blind Faith on their US tour) that Clapton went on to form Derek and the Dominos. But before then he would tour with Delaney & Bonnie in the UK and Europe in late 1969 and then a US tour in early 1970. Then came his first solo album, the self-titled Eric Clapton, before going on to record All Things Must Pass with George. Then, Derek and the Dominos, who I am writing a biography about at the moment. Fascinating to say the least. The Dominos were already a band when they recorded All Things Must Pass but the Layla album wouldn't happen for a few more months yet and their UK/US tours as well.

1971 was a different story, Clapton played one event the whole year which was the Concert For Bangladesh on the 1st August of that year. The Dominos broke up in May of that year and after the Bangladesh concert he wouldn't play live again until the 13th January 1973, his comeback shows at the Rainbow Theatre in London. Those are the shows I'm currently writing an article on at the moment. Reasons for his disappearance? Drugs. A really sad story, he definitely wasn't the same after that. Yes he's had a number of fantastic albums since coming back (461 Ocean Boulevard in 1974 is stunning) but his playing especially took a hit during those drug years. That said, he's still great. :D

Forgive me for going on, I could write about Clapton all day. :lol:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Feb 2016, 13:05

tom_cas1 wrote:Oh yeah his 1966-1970 period was definitely the best. In fact it's mind blowing when you think of everything he accomplished in those years.

I agree w/you (tom_cas1) and Mallard No. 22, but I certainly love his time w/the Yardbirds. True, he left because "For Your Love" (which I've always enjoyed) was too commercial (pop oriented). I also love "Lonely Years" and "Bernard Jenkins" that he did w/John Mayall and still "All Your Love" just impresses me beyond belief!

I too could write volumes about "Slow Hand", so I will just leave it here for now! :D

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 04 Mar 2016, 06:45

Ironically the Yardbirds moved to a darker and more raw sound after 'For Your Love' and continued their major success.
tom_cas1 wrote:his 1966-1970 period was definitely the best. In fact it's mind blowing when you think of everything he accomplished in those years.

1966: John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers
1966-1968: Cream/While My Guitar Gently Weeps/The Dirty Mac
1969: Blind Faith/Toronto with Lennon/Delaney & Bonnie
1970: Delaney & Bonnie/Solo Album/Derek and the Dominos

Cream with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker....The amount of shows they played in three years (1966, 1967, 1968) is more than artists these days play in a decade or more. Night in night out pretty much and often two shows PER NIGHT which doubled the work load. That's something that contributed to Cream's breaking up sadly, the work load was too great.

A few weeks after Cream broke up he played with The Dirty Mac (Lennon, Clapton, Richards, Mitchell) for a one off show before forming Blind Faith with Steve Winwood in 1969. That didn't last long of course although their one and only album is very very good. It was actually because of Delaney & Bonnie (who supported Blind Faith on their US tour) that Clapton went on to form Derek and the Dominos. But before then he would tour with Delaney & Bonnie in the UK and Europe in late 1969 and then a US tour in early 1970. Then came his first solo album, the self-titled Eric Clapton, before going on to record All Things Must Pass with George.
This phenomenal workload is a result of what Eric wanted to do, and also the fledgling music industry management pushing him to work as much as possible. In effect he was moving on to the next project before the existing one was completed.

Any one of these acts could have continued with a long career, e.g. Blind Faith's album was and remains good to listen to. This band was probably not greater than the individuals within it - they each had great talent and I think this caused the short life of this band.

Drugs probably helped Eric to maintain the workload when first introduced, but as with e.g. Jones and Hendrix they consumed him by 1971. They would infuse with the workload to cause 'burn-out'.

I like The Yardbirds (both with & without Eric), Cream and Blind Faith. I have a selection (but not all) of their work. I must admit I haven't heard the Derek & The Dominoes album :oops: but I have always liked the single 'Layla'.