Albums for 2016

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

dparrott
Posts: 541
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 03:42
Location: California

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by dparrott » 21 May 2016, 15:42

New Se Delan album. Awesome dark gloom rock
https://vimeo.com/160877345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 21 May 2016, 22:07

Car Seat Headrest's Teens of Denial might be my favourite 2016 album, and it's been a strong year so far.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 May 2016, 01:38

Se Delan? Car Seat Headrest? How are you guys discovering these bands in the first place?
Image

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 23 May 2016, 10:26

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Se Delan? Car Seat Headrest? How are you guys discovering these bands in the first place?
Car Seat Headrest have been all over Pitchfork and other music sites for a couple of years - well, since they signed with Matador. He should become huge this year, or at least I hope so cause he's amazing. It's a shame Ric Ocasek didn't let him (kind of) cover Just What I Needed on his new record, that was one hell of a song. It started with JWIN's iconic intro, then became a whole different and amazing thing and finally came back to Just What I Needed's verses at the end. Really epic stuff but he couldn't include it on the final cut of the record http://pitchfork.com/news/65444-car-sea ... l_facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dparrott
Posts: 541
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 03:42
Location: California

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by dparrott » 23 May 2016, 14:49

Se Delan is on KScope Records, which has other bands I like.

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by Forever Low Man » 23 May 2016, 22:35

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Se Delan? Car Seat Headrest? How are you guys discovering these bands in the first place?
Car Seat Headrest have been all over Pitchfork and other music sites for a couple of years - well, since they signed with Matador. He should become huge this year, or at least I hope so cause he's amazing. It's a shame Ric Ocasek didn't let him (kind of) cover Just What I Needed on his new record, that was one hell of a song. It started with JWIN's iconic intro, then became a whole different and amazing thing and finally came back to Just What I Needed's verses at the end. Really epic stuff but he couldn't include it on the final cut of the record http://pitchfork.com/news/65444-car-sea ... l_facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i heard there's a different version of the song on the album now that's almost a minute long


that said, the album did leak. also, matador kinda fucked up, because some people got the original pressing of the LP.
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 24 May 2016, 06:08

Yeah, the version they uploaded to streaming services is a minute longer and has no Cars references. It's still great but not as good as the original. Apparently Matador also fucked up with some background noises in other track. It sucks for Will but at least with this album he's been getting the recognition he deserves.

davidsutter
Posts: 913
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 17:06
Location: Clarksville, IN
Contact:

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by davidsutter » 24 May 2016, 13:19

if i were that guy i'd remove 'car' from my name

maybe just 'headrests' isn't taken yet, you know?

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 May 2016, 03:54

Thanks davidsutter and LtPinkerton for both your responses..... I must again broaden my scope on how I discover bands.....I don't listen to any radio, but it's all too commercial anyways and I haven't been on several other music related websites recently either. I discovered bands a few years ago even just listening to NME Radio while at work, but that was essentially it. I must admit I've somewhat sadly fallen behind in the times... I'm still in the 90s here! :lol:
Image

dparrott
Posts: 541
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 03:42
Location: California

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by dparrott » 25 May 2016, 14:45

I've gotten into a lot of bands through recommendations from forums, so you're in a good place!

davidsutter
Posts: 913
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 17:06
Location: Clarksville, IN
Contact:

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by davidsutter » 25 May 2016, 18:00

I'm not the best at following the newest thing either.
Still haven't heard the Courtney Barnett album, though I like that single. Sounds like a Leisure B-side, kind of.

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by mr_spenalzo » 25 May 2016, 18:25

davidsutter wrote:I'm not the best at following the newest thing either.
Still haven't heard the Courtney Barnett album, though I like that single. Sounds like a Leisure B-side, kind of.
Her album's overrated. There are some nice songs, above average lyrics (definitely better than Leisure B-sides' lyrics!)... but the praise I've seen heaped upon her seems a bit excessive.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 May 2016, 13:01

dparrott wrote:I've gotten into a lot of bands through recommendations from forums, so you're in a good place!

Oh..absolutely..."Word of Mouth" is definitely the best and all of us on this forum have such excellent taste! I'm so lucky to have discovered several great bands last year while across the pond last summer at Hyde Park! Otherwise... well........ But perhaps today's music isn't as horrible as I tend to believe it is just by expanding my horizons further again which I had to do in the early 90s after the "Hair Band Debacle" finally subsided enroute to Grunge......
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Jun 2016, 06:09

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:the early 90s after the "Hair Band Debacle" finally subsided enroute to Grunge......
:D like that quote. And, yes, in the early 90s I was looking for new directions in music. I could see that interesting things were bubbling beneath the surface.

Music tends to go in generational cycles, so. e.g. we are hearing late 80s-influenced power ballads now, if we tune to mainstream stations.

Here in the UK, I avoid BBC Radio 1 & 2 but 6Music has been quite a revelation for new music.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Albums for 2016

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Jun 2016, 23:00

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:the early 90s after the "Hair Band Debacle" finally subsided enroute to Grunge......
:D like that quote. And, yes, in the early 90s I was looking for new directions in music. I could see that interesting things were bubbling beneath the surface.

Music tends to go in generational cycles, so. e.g. we are hearing late 80s-influenced power ballads now, if we tune to mainstream stations.

Here in the UK, I avoid BBC Radio 1 & 2 but 6Music has been quite a revelation for new music.

But you know what? I honestly benefited from my dislike of music during that period because that was essentially when I broadened myself more about the "Classic Rock" bands or other genres from the 60s/70s by going into the deeper cuts of their catalog opposed to just what was played on the radio.

I have to check-out Richard Ashcroft's new material to see if he's expanded his sound.
Image

Post Reply