2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by Miki » 31 Dec 2015, 23:06

MsMagicAmerica wrote: Am I the only one who doesn't like Chicago?
No. For the most part they were M.O.R. stuff.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Jan 2016, 23:45

Miki wrote:
MsMagicAmerica wrote: Am I the only one who doesn't like Chicago?
No. For the most part they were M.O.R. stuff.

Yeah...essentially their 80s work was more MOR than anything else....They were more experimental when they first burst onto the scene.
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2447
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Jan 2016, 07:25

Re: The Monkees - a band more interesting than their TV show and pop hits suggest. Really should watch the 'Head' movie again and try and make sense of it :ugeek: :)

Re: Chicago - although the Cetera ballads had already arrived, I think the main change came in 1978 with the split with their manager and Terry Kath's death. Kath favoured the jazz rock approach that invigorated their early work.

After that the MOR hell began in earnest. As with the Bee Gees or Fleetwood Mac, the earlier Chicago was a different beast.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Jan 2016, 23:14

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Re: The Monkees - a band more interesting than their TV show and pop hits suggest. Really should watch the 'Head' movie again and try and make sense of it :ugeek: :)

Re: Chicago - although the Cetera ballads had already arrived, I think the main change came in 1978 with the split with their manager and Terry Kath's death. Kath favoured the jazz rock approach that invigorated their early work.

After that the MOR hell began in earnest. As with the Bee Gees or Fleetwood Mac, the earlier Chicago was a different beast.

First, you really want to hear the Monkees being very experimental: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCWRjWOowkc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Nesmith wrote that and composed several of the more underrated tracks (including "Listen to the Band)"... He also wrote "Different Drum" which became a major hit for Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies... Peter Tork was the folk member of the group... Davey Jones and Mickey Dolenz were more actors (having been famous since their respective childhoods)... They all were and became further capable musicians who didn't need any more session men assisting them....

Yeah.... Kath's passing was a certainly a major turning point and you could compare what happened to Cetera to even what happened with Phil Collins and Genesis and Lionel Ritchie and the Commodores. The "head man" became more famous than the band which caused factions and their eventual demise.
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2447
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jan 2016, 07:23

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: you could compare what happened to Cetera to what happened with Phil Collins and Genesis and Lionel Ritchie and the Commodores. The "head man" became more famous than the band which caused factions and their eventual demise.
Yes, very good point. Others possibly spring to mind like Rod Stewart, Bryan Ferry, George Michael.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Jan 2016, 04:57

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: you could compare what happened to Cetera to what happened with Phil Collins and Genesis and Lionel Ritchie and the Commodores. The "head man" became more famous than the band which caused factions and their eventual demise.
Yes, very good point. Others possibly spring to mind like Rod Stewart, Bryan Ferry, George Michael.

Yeah...it's so interesting in George Michael's case how much he ended-up overshadowing just Andrew Ridegely...Makes one wonder how significant of a role did he have in WHAM in the first place or was he just riding on George's talents....
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2447
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Jan 2016, 06:26

I think he was significant in Wham, as far as the audience was concerned.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Jan 2016, 11:29

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I think he was significant in Wham, as far as the audience was concerned.
This is true.... I guess though he completely retreated from the music industry post Wham...I believe he raced cars.....
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2447
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 Jan 2016, 07:34

He lives in the West Country. I believe he is happy where he is.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Jan 2016, 17:03

Mallard No. 22 wrote:He lives in the West Country. I believe he is happy where he is.

Yeah and unfortunately we all know how George Michael ultimately became a train-wreck himself with his rather odd escapades over the years!

Anyways... I'm very excited about this class... Hopefully Journey and the Styx will also receive their proper due as well!
Image

Post Reply