2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Dec 2015, 23:03

I'm quite impressed...several have been long deserving!

The artists to be inducted at a ceremony at the Brooklyn, N.Y., Barclays Center on April 8 include Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple, N.W.A and Steve Miller. HBO is set to broadcast the event.

Mallard No. 22

Re: 2016 Rock-N-Roll HOF Class!

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Dec 2015, 07:22

Surprised that Chicago weren't there already.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 Dec 2015, 12:37

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Surprised that Chicago weren't there already.

Several felt that Rage Against the Machine, NIN, Janet Jackson, and a couple of others were snubbed, but they will receive their due soon. Deep Purple, Chicago, Cheap Trick, and Steve Miller have been long deserving and NWA definitely were pioneers as well.... Really excited about Deep Purple, wish though Jon Lord was still alive to relish the experience!

Yes actually was among those who didn't make it and again wish they did when Chris Squire was still alive as well....Monkees to me are still the most deserving not to have been inducted!

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 18 Dec 2015, 14:44

There are so many who deserve induction that someone will always be snubbed.
Weird Al, King Crimson and ELO are some of the ones I'd pick.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 18 Dec 2015, 15:04

R&RHOF is as well researched as the Grammys though. I do quite like their sideways view, inducting backing bands and the like. But I don't really see how certain inductees can be there when there's many greats missing out.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Dec 2015, 15:17

Derek and the Dominos and Blind Faith are both still missing. Very annoying.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 Dec 2015, 17:09

tom_cas1 wrote:Derek and the Dominos and Blind Faith are both still missing. Very annoying.
I can see though their perspective... each project obviously yielded only one album respectively (regardless of how epic both were), but those two bands are already well represented in the HoH.... It's a rather interesting argument though....

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 18 Dec 2015, 20:01

Why isn't Weird Al in it yet?
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Dec 2015, 10:57

Forever Low Man wrote:Why isn't Weird Al in it yet?

Because the "Hall" is run by a bunch of snobs for the most part!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Dec 2015, 15:56

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Derek and the Dominos and Blind Faith are both still missing. Very annoying.
I can see though their perspective... each project obviously yielded only one album respectively (regardless of how epic both were), but those two bands are already well represented in the HoH.... It's a rather interesting argument though....
I can see why Blind Faith isn't in there but there's no reason at all that Derek and the Dominos should continue to be overlooked. The Layla album is considered by many as a landmark recording. Sure Eric Clapton is in the HoF already (3 times) but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be again. Bobby Whitlock, Carl Radle and Jim Gordon all deserve to be in there, and of course the late great Duane Allman for his contributions on that album.

And if we're talking about Clapton, why haven't the Bluesbreakers been admitted? The Beano album was a landmark blues album at the time and paved the way for British blues, mainly down to Clapton's guitar tone (Les Paul -> Marshall). Just because he's already in there 3 times doesn't mean those two bands have to continue to miss out. Makes no sense!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 20 Dec 2015, 00:36

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:...Monkees to me are still the most deserving not to have been inducted!
Many people feel they should be because they started out as a manufactured band. (This isn't my opinion btw)

I personally think they should be there. While they didn't start playing their own instruments, they did indeed end up playing them on the albums and writing their own songs at the end. Plus, their songs are freaking classics.

As for rap artists, I honestly don't think they should be in the R&RHoF. The Hall of Fame is for ROCK, not just music. If there was a music Hall of Fame, then absolutely. I just don't see how rap fits into the category of rock.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Chicago?

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 Dec 2015, 07:39

I think that Blind Faith and Derek & The Dominoes are, in the wider sense, considered as part of Eric Clapton's repertoire. He is already in the R&RHOF, and those particular bands existed for a year or so within the 60+ years of rock music.

Similarly, The Monkees had just a three year life originally, any work since has mainly been a nostalgia package.

Good though they were, that is probably why these acts are not there.

Chicago - I am less keen on the AOR they did in the 80s, which maybe is the 'Chicago' that most people probably know? It is a bit like judging Fleetwood Mac and The Bee Gees on what they did from the late 70s onwards. They had an earlier period with a more earthy sound. I am not sure that Chicago would be nominated based solely on their later work.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Dec 2015, 04:15

tom_cas1 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
I can see why Blind Faith isn't in there but there's no reason at all that Derek and the Dominos should continue to be overlooked. The Layla album is considered by many as a landmark recording. Sure Eric Clapton is in the HoF already (3 times) but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be again. Bobby Whitlock, Carl Radle and Jim Gordon all deserve to be in there, and of course the late great Duane Allman for his contributions on that album.

And if we're talking about Clapton, why haven't the Bluesbreakers been admitted? The Beano album was a landmark blues album at the time and paved the way for British blues, mainly down to Clapton's guitar tone (Les Paul -> Marshall). Just because he's already in there 3 times doesn't mean those two bands have to continue to miss out. Makes no sense!

I agree, but the Rock N Roll HOF are elitists for the most part with strict criteria....They will refute Derek and the Dominoes for not having any longevity. But yes... a very landmark album, but they will also state several covers included....And you know how highly much I revere that album myself....

I loved earlier Chicago mainly for sentimental reasons.. My mom played them all the time... and I always would cry right on cue whenever "If You Leave Me Now" ever came on..... But they went downhill in the 80s when Peter Cetera started having more creative control/input in the band....

The Monkees though strung along quite an impressive catalog from '66-'68 and still continued to record after Tork initially left....They even recorded pretty decent comeback records as well...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Dec 2015, 20:02

I like The Monkees 1969 song 'Listen To The Band' which Nesmith sang (& wrote?).

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Dec 2015, 06:53

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I like The Monkees 1969 song 'Listen To The Band' which Nesmith sang (& wrote?).

In fact, it was first performed in a rather bizarre tv production the Monkees did called "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XohiM_G4lew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter immediately left the band after this.....