Unpopular Opinions Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mallard No. 22

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Nov 2015, 07:23

MsMagicAmerica wrote: Madonna deserves to get respect. That woman earned it. My only thing about Madonna now is that she's at an age were she seems like she's trying to be relevant and keep up....she's trying to shock people (again) and stay relevant. She doesn't need to. The pop world should bow down to her.
Yes, like McCartney or Bowie, she has certainly done her bit.
MsMagicAmerica wrote:You know who else I think should get some damn respect? Cyndi Lauper. She tends to not get as much b/c she was always compared to Madonna & her career didn't last as long as Madonna's....it seems nowadays people don't respect her as much as they should.
Yes, I haven't heard that she doesn't get respect. Perhaps 'overlooked' is the word? And this is probably because her work has been lower profile. Thinking about it now, their breakthrough hits both occurred at the same time in the UK (Holiday & Girls Just Wanna Have Fun).
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 19 Nov 2015, 16:20

They both did come out at the same time.I kinda remember it like a Beatles vs Stones thing (though not as big) as in you either liked Madonna or you liked Cyndi. However, keep in mind I was four years old or so when they both came out.

As for John Lennon, even his son Sean will say he wasn't the greatest of people. As far as his solo music goes, I think a lot of it sounds like music that would come from an average garage band. Plastic Ono Band was great, but after that there are only a few songs that are good.

Truth be told, I don't like the song Imagine,

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 19 Nov 2015, 18:17

MsMagicAmerica wrote: Truth be told, I don't like the song Imagine,
Makes 2 of us. I think it's a dreadful song. Not better than your average Coldplay album track.. and those are pretty lousy to begin with.
The album's got some good songs on it, though Plastic Ono Band and Walls And Bridges are miles better. All the other solo stuff I can do without.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 19 Nov 2015, 18:18

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Speaking of selling out... Metallica's "Load" really isn't too bad in retrospect... had some brilliant moments on it!
And St. Anger > Black Album

I disagree with you, but I certainly love Robert Trujillo on bass!
Does he play on St ANger? I thought they got him after completing the album (if I recall Some Kind Of Monster correctly)

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 19 Nov 2015, 19:30

Bob Rock played bass on St. Anger, Trujillo joined when the album was finished.

As for Imagine, it really is a great song. I get that it has now became a cliché and I see where you're coming from with that Coldplay thing, but the difference is that most Coldplay songs don't say anything at all, while Imagine has a deep anti established religion and consumism feeling that was genuinely relevant and important for that era. You've got the most famous member of the most famous band that has ever lived telling people that they do not need religion in 1971. If wouldn't have worked if the song wasn't so lightweight and easy to listen imo.

Now, on the other hand: Hey Jude is shit.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Nov 2015, 20:25

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Speaking of selling out... Metallica's "Load" really isn't too bad in retrospect... had some brilliant moments on it!
And St. Anger > Black Album

I disagree with you
Lots of people do, that's what makes it an unpopular opinion ;) :lol:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Nov 2015, 00:34

Yeah... Trujillo joined them during the St. Anger tour...I just meant in general he's been a great replacement of Newsted, but no one can obviously come close to Cliff!

Lord, I've always been an immense Lennon fan, but obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion....

True, TripleJay97...your opinion certainly best suited this thread! :lol:

I agree about Cyndi Lauper..what a voice! (and she still got "it"!)

Some might disagree, but speaking of "voices"...Amy Winehouse was such an immense talent.. what a waste!

Megadeth is better than Metallica....several will disagree with me on that!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Nov 2015, 11:13

Laura Brannigan deserved way better.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Nov 2015, 18:53

TripleJay97 wrote:Laura Brannigan deserved way better.
I agree...she had such a string of hits during a brief period and was obviously taken from us too prematurely....

The Verve were a one-hit wonder (several tend to think that only "Bittersweet Symphony" was their only hit).....

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 20 Nov 2015, 21:11

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
I agree...she had such a string of hits during a brief period and was obviously taken from us too prematurely....

The Verve were a one-hit wonder (several tend to think that only "Bittersweet Symphony" was their only hit).....
I don't have any knowledge of The Verve's impact (or lack of it) in the US. Did they make much impression beyond that song?

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Nov 2015, 00:48

101reykjavik wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

I don't have any knowledge of The Verve's impact (or lack of it) in the US. Did they make much impression beyond that song?

They seemed to have more a "cult following" (compared to Blur)... Only the mainstream knew "Bittersweet Symphony" (similar to "Girls & Boys" and Song 2"), but then I would encounter other people who knew and loved the rest of "Urban Hymns" and their earlier material. Then I got into Ashcroft's solo material later on and I feel he's a much better writer than others give him credit for... "Urban Hymns" alone obviously had several key moments.. "Lucky Man", "Drugs Don't Work", and "Sonnet" several of friends appreciated and I feel "Catching the Butterfly" is the most overlooked/under-appreciated track on the album....

In the States during that time, it seemed obviously Oasis garnished more exposure than any of the Britpop bands and then surprisingly followed by Elastica and that's my recollection at the time based on airplay on local radio and MTV.... I never heard anything else than "Girls & Boys" and "Song 2" on radio in the States back then... Later on Cornershop broke through with "Brimful of Asha" but that obviously isn't Britpop.....I forgot about Radiohead...several diehard fans and they got some much exposure, but I still don't consider them "Britpop" either.

Another unpopular opinion.... The only true rival to the Beatles were the Beach Boys....

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Nov 2015, 08:47

Interesting about The Verve - cheers.

I know you love The Beach Boys and more power to your elbow and all that, but I really never get that opinion. Yes, there was a bit of friendly creative rivalry around the time of Rubber Soul / Pet Sounds / Revolver, but I don't see The Beach Boys being even in the same league in terms of musicality, cultural relevance or the sheer ability to knock out a dozen albums in less than eight years of near uniform brilliance while constantly evolving. Feels a bit like a man with a hand grenade trying to take pot shots at a fully armoured tank. He can strike a blow but it's just going to bounce off that impregnable ediface.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Nov 2015, 11:06

101reykjavik wrote:Interesting about The Verve - cheers.

I know you love The Beach Boys and more power to your elbow and all that, but I really never get that opinion. Yes, there was a bit of friendly creative rivalry around the time of Rubber Soul / Pet Sounds / Revolver, but I don't see The Beach Boys being even in the same league in terms of musicality, cultural relevance or the sheer ability to knock out a dozen albums in less than eight years of near uniform brilliance while constantly evolving. Feels a bit like a man with a hand grenade trying to take pot shots at a fully armoured tank. He can strike a blow but it's just going to bounce off that impregnable ediface.

I was going to respond with a lengthy post, but I must ask this before I do....Have you listened to anything besides "Pet Sounds"? If not, I can definitely clarify all of those misconceptions.....

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 22 Nov 2015, 15:01

Hands up... No, don't respond with a lengthy post, it's really not worth it. I'm being a little bit mischievous and naughty really. You're definitely going to out-gun me on Beach Boys knowledge. And yes, I've heard a decent bit of their work beyond Pet Sounds, but I'm definitely no scholar like you and can't say I've listened to anything for some time. I'm not particularly a fan though so I'm being a slightly cheeky, prejudiced so and so on this one. :lol:

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 22 Nov 2015, 18:23

I prefer Phil Collins Genesis era to Peter Gabriel Genesis era.