Unpopular Opinions Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Lt Pinkerton

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 13 Nov 2015, 14:22

The thing with Coldplay is that the general public will always see them as a hit pop band, no matter which way they take. Viva La Vida and Ghost Stories were fairly experimental but you could argue that they remained poppy to the public eye. They're by no means bad, just a little cheesy. I do think their two first albums don't stand the test of time as well as I thought they would, though. VLV is actually my favourite from them and I didn't think Ghost Stories was bad, although that Avicii collaboration is probably the worst thing they've ever done.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Nov 2015, 17:47

Ironically, Viva la Vida is the only album of theirs that almost warrants that ignorant Radiohead comparison (not that it sounds like Radiohead, but you see what I mean), and it was their best album (by far).

I've always debated whether to hear Ghost Stories, strange as it is to see an album by them branded 'ambient' and 'synthpop' (considering their image from years before). The singles put me off though. Avicii is awful. Yuck.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 13 Nov 2015, 18:03

I tried listening to "Viva La Vida" back in a day and it didn't hook me. But that was years ago, so maybe it's a good time to listen to it - I didn't know that Eno produced it! Than Mylo Xyloto came and quickly the notion was spread that "Coldplay are shite" and I didn't listen to them until sometime ago when a friend of mine recommended to listen to their first record. After a whole bunch of brit-pop and indie records "X&Y" and "AROFTTH" started to seem really nice (a bit cheesy, maybe, but that is good sometimes, isn't it?).

Going back to "Viva...", one thing I remember is that "Lost!" was inspired by blur's "Sing" - the fact that I now find strange - because IMO there are far more similarities between "Politik" and "Sing" musically than between "Lost" and "Sing". Not that there was no inspiration or similarity, but still this is a bit odd.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Nov 2015, 18:07

Yeah there's nothing at all in common between Lost and Sing. Politik and Sing share the same pounding drum beat (funny I should use the word pounding, because the Doves song of that name also uses it) and end euphorically. Lost however is sepearate compleley, except for, ur, the idea that it has a singalong chorus or something?

Viva la Vida actually has a shoegaze track (Chinese Sleep Chant). Even though its not like Sing they could have said it about that track and it would sorta make sense, sort of.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 13 Nov 2015, 18:31

Lost's guitar solo is probably my favourite Coldplay moment. Do listen to VLV, Consigliere, it's a great record. As usually happens with bands of tremendous popularity, I think the band is sometimes dismissed because their success was followed by an awful wave of copycats*. I'm not saying they're one of the greatest bands of the last 15 years (I've already mentioned that I only love one Coldplay album) but they're far from being awful, particularly their 2000s work.

* Except for fucking Nirvana. Somehow they'll never get thrashed despite the awful songs.
AdvertBreak wrote:I've always debated whether to hear Ghost Stories, strange as it is to see an album by them branded 'ambient' and 'synthpop' (considering their image from years before). The singles put me off though. Avicii is awful. Yuck.

It's far from ambient and synthpop though, it's just less bombastic than their previous efforts. That Avicii single is a bit like Crazy Beat on Think Tank. Atrocious on its own, even worse when you realize that there's no place for it on the album.

Miki

Post by Miki » 13 Nov 2015, 20:40

Nirvana are great. If you don't get them, it's your fault. Period :lol:
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Nov 2015, 01:53

The guy who wrote the music for Defectors should write annoyingly catchy pop music.

Waffle and Strike Out have nice theme tunes. They suit the shows.

ITV should have used my YouTube Poop mp3 of The Colour of Money intro instead of the real thing.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Nov 2015, 05:58

The Monkees belong in the Rock N Roll HOF...They were very talented despite several others perception...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 14 Nov 2015, 17:27

I really don't like U2, Led Zeppelin, & Rush. I can appreciate them and their contributions to rock, but I can't stand them,

As for Green Day, I just hate them all around.

Miki

Post by Miki » 14 Nov 2015, 23:10

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:The Monkees belong in the Rock N Roll HOF...They were very talented despite several others perception...
Actually, I think that's becoming a fairly popular opinion.

Agree on Green Day. Don't get them at all.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Nov 2015, 23:51

Miki wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:The Monkees belong in the Rock N Roll HOF...They were very talented despite several others perception...

I am glad the Monkees are starting to gain more acceptance... too bad it's mainly happening after Davey's passing....

I'm in the minority (pun intended).. but I've always loved Green Day, mainly their early material and I know I will be "ripped a new one" for that... :lol:

Madonna is talented..to me she is...and has done an amazing job of reinventing herself throughout her career...

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 15 Nov 2015, 00:09

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Miki wrote:

I am glad the Monkees are starting to gain more acceptance... too bad it's mainly happening after Davey's passing....

I'm in the minority (pun intended).. but I've always loved Green Day, mainly their early material and I know I will be "ripped a new one" for that... :lol:

Madonna is talented..to me she is...and has done an amazing job of reinventing herself throughout her career...
I like Green Day too, mostly their 90s stuff.

Miki

Post by Miki » 15 Nov 2015, 02:38

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Madonna is talented..to me she is...and has done an amazing job of reinventing herself throughout her career...
I've always been a fan. She's great.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 Nov 2015, 03:06

From 1988-2006, Madonna was, for the most part, bloody great. Don't really care for the first three albums but they are 80s pop classics and have great tracks. The recent three not so much (although Hard Candy has its moments).

Unpopular Madonna opinions though?

American Life is a great album. It's probably the one I listen to the most.

Erotica is also great. She should have done more music using Sheb Pettibone's smokey trip hop.

Mirwais is a great producer. The best electroclash musician.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Nov 2015, 08:38

Interesting thread. Being away from the forum a few days and I've missed it all :) To pick up on some points raised:

AB: yes, good point about Queen being over-rated by the kids, but beneath the hype they were a good rock band a lot of the time.

tom_cas1: re The Smiths/Morrissey & The Stone Roses over-rated - I agree to some extent. They were important, but not the only artists treading their particular path. History can be re-written - they are seen as representing their 'time', but when that time occurred, other artists were also in the same movement. Had these artists not been there, then e.g. The Stone Roses would have been very much alone and their scene gone less-noticed maybe?

AB: 'Be Here Now' has more good than people remember. Though at the time it was a let-down given the euphoria around Oasis.

Miki: Janis Joplin represents a ground-breaking female rock vocalist. But I'm not sure of her impact at the time, beyond the USA. She didn't have any UK hits for instance, so a lot of people at the time had limited awareness of her.

:idea: Just a thought. I wonder what would have happened if e.g. Janis had been discovered by UK management (like Jimi Hendrix) and brought to the UK to launch her career in 1966/67? :?:

KLL76: I agree The Monkees are under-rated in many respects, especially given their work from 1968-69 which moved with the times. I don't like everything that Madonna has done (e.g. as AB mentioned, I'm not over-keen on her 80s cheesy pop songs) but she does re-invent herself to set trends and remain fresh.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."