Unpopular Opinions Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 12 Nov 2015, 14:52

By 'lead singer' I was literally referring to his role as a lead singer on the records.

Miki

Post by Miki » 12 Nov 2015, 21:07

AdvertBreak wrote:Its kinda strange how the lead singer is the least important ingredient in that band. Just goes to show how great the others are.

Yes, he writes the lyrics, but thats different from singing them.
Actually, he co-writes the lyrics with John Squire, who wrote some of the Roses' most memorable lines. Waterfall is pretty much 90% John's. The line "Kiss me where the sun don't shine/the past was yours but the future's mine" in She Bangs the Drums is also John's. Lyrics on other songs are mostly a Brown/Squire collaboration. And John's the sole songwiriter of all asongs but three (two of which he co-wrote) in Second Coming.

And no, even his fans don't overrate his voice. He can sing pretty well as much as he can be awful, you never know what you're going to get with him.

Here's my unpopular opinion: Janis Joplin is overrated and I can't stand her voice.
Last edited by Miki on 12 Nov 2015, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Miki

Post by Miki » 12 Nov 2015, 21:28

tom_cas1 wrote:Morrissey is an untalented gobshite.
Don't know about the untalented, but the gobshite part is a fairly popular opinion :lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Nov 2015, 22:34

Miki wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Morrissey is an untalented gobshite.
Don't know about the untalented, but the gobshite part is a fairly popular opinion :lol:
He's certainly an untalented novelist. I'll give you that Tom.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 12 Nov 2015, 22:35

You're missing what I'm saying about Ian Brown. I didn't mean by terms of what they put into a song, but rather the end result of that song. Playing the song rather and listening to the instrumentalism and so on rather than thinking about how it was made.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Nov 2015, 22:54

-Kasabian are great... well.... they actually were until Karloff left them....
-System of the Down suck...they were one of the best bands from the late 90s-early 2000s....
-Foo Fighters are the best band around... I tend to disagree...they reached their peak in the mid-late 90s..what's kept them at a peak level is how horrid the music industry is in general....
-Bush and Pearl Jam were the same band (and I still contend that to this very day!)

Miki

Post by Miki » 12 Nov 2015, 23:32

Coldplay are not as bad as popular opinion makes them. Their first two albums are great and there's good stuff coming out of the others (though to be fair, also some real stinkers). The Blue Room EP and some B-sides are also very good.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Nov 2015, 00:05

Yes, Coldplay are far better than people make them out to be (people making out that their the worst).

The first two albums are indeed very nice. Very nostalgic and all that, but a lot of it stands up aside from that today, and aside from the singles, Politik is still beautifully composed. Its much more complex than its sounds. For example, the changes from jazz percussion to sudden piano performing behind the second verse at each measure, and of course that key change.

Viva la Vida is a great album, but I don't always feel okay to say that haha! I don't even hate Mylo Xyloto. Not listened to anything since though, unless its been on the radio or whatever and I don't have a choice.

Miki

Post by Miki » 13 Nov 2015, 00:18

AdvertBreak wrote:Yes, Coldplay are far better than people make them out to be (people making out that their the worst).

The first two albums are indeed very nice. Very nostalgic and all that, but a lot of it stands up aside from that today, and aside from the singles, Politik is still beautifully composed. Its much more complex than its sounds. For example, the changes from jazz percussion to sudden piano performing behind the second verse at each measure, and of course that key change.

Viva la Vida is a great album, but I don't always feel okay to say that haha! I don't even hate Mylo Xyloto. Not listened to anything since though, unless its been on the radio or whatever and I don't have a choice.
I rather like this one :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSovfzyx28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Nov 2015, 00:23

It's probably my favourite era for the band, that. Certainly their most musically interesting. Post-post-Britpop and pre-synthesisers basically, when Brian Eno was their producer and they were able to pull off great tracks like Cemetries of London, 42, Yes, Chinese Sleep Chant, Glass of Water and Rainy Day.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Nov 2015, 00:52

"Yellow" was and will always be my absolute fave by them! That particular song brings back so many fond memories upon its initial release... Chris Martin does have an excellent voice, must give him some credit there....

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Nov 2015, 09:48

Shiver is a tune.

I loved Viva La Vida but hated My Little Xylophone.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Nov 2015, 10:07

I wasn't big on My Little Xylophone (haha) but I quite liked some of it. Teardrop, Major Minus, a few others. Some of it was a bit dull though.

In addition to some nice deep cuts (like the aforementioned Politik), the first two albums had great singles. From Shiver to GPASUYF. I quite liked X&Y but it was a bit boring at times.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Nov 2015, 11:51

I saw a comment on the new song that said, and I quote:
Ignorant Twat wrote:Coldplay are a pop band now :(
What? :lol:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Nov 2015, 12:46

I saw that too! Obviously they've always been pop blah blah etc etc, but its not like this is the most pop thing they've ever done. Did he completely miss the last couple of albums? :lol: