Unpopular Opinions Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mallard No. 22

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Dec 2015, 07:55

I remember the re-releases you mention for Levi's adverts. I think T Rex '20th Century Boy' was re-released in 1991 as a Levi's hit. I also remember songs in Guinness ads, indeed if asked I would have said that Stiltskin's hit was a Guinness one :mrgreen: IIRC 'We Have All The Time In The World' (Louie Armstrong, from the Bond film OHMSS, 1969) was also re-released around this time due to Guinness.

From the late 80s - early 2000s re-releases/re-mixes/sampling of older sings was a constant. The use of previous music could be very good, with some samples subtly put into what were essentially new songs. Many people only became aware of the original song (& therefore a wider musical heritage) because of sampling.

Sometimes songs which languished un-noticed for years became famous through adverts - 'A Little Less Conversation' (1968) I found on an old Elvis LP that I had, at the time of the JXL remix.

IIRC 'Swamp Thing' & 'Gonfi Gon' tended to be played back-to-back in the clubs. They sound similar but The Grid record obviously is more credible to the music fan. 'Cotton Eye Joe' was popular on Radio 1 (whereas I don't recall Gonfi Gon on there) and also played in the clubs.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 Mar 2016, 20:52

Gonfi Gon and Cotton Eyed Joe were played at clubs? Sure you're not mistaking clubs for kids birthday parties? :lol: But yeah it's an interesting take if two tracks are played back to back in DJ mixes. Certain songs seem made for it, like Professional Widow/Sugar is Sweeter, or in more obvious cases, Phat Bass/Operation Blade and Right Here Right Now/In and Out of My Life.

Anyway, I didn't see the end of this thread until today for some reason. And yeah you're right Guinness did generate that Louis Armstrong hit in 1994. I came to this thread to say that I think a lot of Slade is underrated. 1977-79 era basically, Whatever Happened to Slade (released as punk was huge) and Return to Base (released as new wave was huge). Both were back to basics records, straight forward hard rock music, the band having ditched their glam image for the first of those albums and not using it again, which would help them stay relevant during punk. Sadly, great album though it is (championed by Kurt Cobain and Billy Corgan in later times), it went unnoticed at the time, and Return to Base even more so.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 04 Mar 2016, 07:56

AdvertBreak wrote:Gonfi Gon and Cotton Eyed Joe were played at clubs? Sure you're not mistaking clubs for kids birthday parties? :lol:
I don't know if they were played at hip big city venues? They certainly were played at nightclubs around the provinces where the crowds went after the pubs closed (11pm last orders). Lager and handbag kind of stuff.

These venues would play the most popular indie cross-overs (e.g. Happy Mondays 'Step On', James 'Sit Down', Blur 'Girls & Boys', Pulp 'Common People') but would avoid indie as a whole. This was the case at the clubs that I knew. Whether it varied across the UK I don't know? I had experience of two different regions.

Good call about Sugar Is Sweeter/Professional Widow being played back-to-back. I liked them.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."