Unpopular Opinions Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Nov 2015, 23:18

Mallard No. 22 wrote:The Bee Gees had good songs throughout their career, and 'Night Fever' & 'Stayin' Alive' epitomised how good they could be in the disco years.

From the earlier period, as well as 'Message', I like the 'Lonely Days' single (1970).

I don't know the Welch-period Fleetwood Mac. But it probably had its moments that equalled the Peter Green, & Nicks/Buckingham years.

First...Advertbreak is damn right about ranking "Then Play On" high on his list.... Regarding Bob Welch Era Mac... check-out "Future Games"....Danny Kirwan was still a member was in top-form and teamed-up brilliantly with Welch....Then "Mystery to Me" followed by "Penguin" are two essential albums....

Yeah... "Message" and "Lonely Days" were crafted perfectly.... Again...really displaying how the brothers Gibb just blended extremely well together.

Spice Girls... I haven't listened to them in awhile and analyzed each individually in quite some time....

Another unpopular opinion..... Sid Vicious was very important to the Sex Pistols...I think not!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 01 Dec 2015, 03:19

Have a Nice Day (Stereophonics) is such a nice little song

Travis are good

Travis' best album is 12 Memories

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 01 Dec 2015, 22:42

AdvertBreak wrote: Travis are good
Is this unpopular though? I mean, they're obviously well past their peak but I don't think I've ever read a bad thing about them other than being a little bland. I guess they're the kind of band that 00s Pitchfork would hate.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 01 Dec 2015, 23:41

00s Pitchfork seem average on Travis. A few 5. somethings. The Invisible Band a 6.1. The way I see it its the British music press that don't like them anymore. The NME being as achingly hypocritical and weasel worded as ever, falling over them back then and disliking them today.

But in terms of the general public I agree. Travis are too inoffensive to really dislike.

Miki

Post by Miki » 01 Dec 2015, 23:49

AdvertBreak wrote:00s Pitchfork seem average on Travis.
Bitchfork don't like anyone :lol:
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 02 Dec 2015, 13:29

Yes and YES!

I wasn't that impressed with their last album, but I'm hoping their next one will be good.

Speaking of Travis, has anyone seen Fran Healy's mega beard? It's scary as shit!

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 02 Dec 2015, 17:09

that last travis album had that song "Another Guy" which is probably the best thing theyve done since "coming around"
even if it sounds like a Bombay Bicycle Club ripoff

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 02 Dec 2015, 17:19

MsMagicAmerica wrote:

Yes and YES!

I wasn't that impressed with their last album, but I'm hoping their next one will be good.

Speaking of Travis, has anyone seen Fran Healy's mega beard? It's scary as shit!

Blimey. I just Googled it. This beard nonsense is getting out of hand. In 2025 everyone is going to be looking back saying: 'What were we thinking?' I swear we're living through the second 70s, another decade that taste forgot - beards are popular, huge patterned wallpaper in people's homes is popular... good God, even brown cars are becoming more popular. It's the 70s I tell ya!

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 02 Dec 2015, 22:12

Louie is going to hate me forever for saying this, but aside from a few songs, I really don't like the Beach Boys. Sorry Louie!!!!

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 02 Dec 2015, 22:29

elasticaman wrote:that last travis album had that song "Another Guy" which is probably the best thing theyve done since "coming around"
even if it sounds like a Bombay Bicycle Club ripoff
Ooo, I like BBC and I like rip-offs - might as well check this song out :lol:
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Dec 2015, 00:20

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Louie is going to hate me forever for saying this, but aside from a few songs, I really don't like the Beach Boys. Sorry Louie!!!!

I don't hate you whatsoever....we are obviously entitled to our own opinion, but just curious what you havent heard by them? :lol:

Another unpopular opinion.....Living Colour were a one-hit wonder....they are WELL beyond that!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Dec 2015, 08:51

elasticaman wrote:geri is an awful singer, how she had a solo career i'll never know
Because of her showbusiness personality. Rather than as you say, her voice or songs.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Dec 2015, 08:55

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Speaking of Travis, has anyone seen Fran Healy's mega beard? It's scary as shit!
Everyone is imitating Charles Darwin now. Makes 70s beards look like stubble.

We await a major celebrity becoming clean-shaven, then everyone will follow and alter fashion.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 Dec 2015, 20:55

tame impala is not the band of the year

ricked wicky is
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 04 Dec 2015, 04:15

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
MsMagicAmerica wrote:Louie is going to hate me forever for saying this, but aside from a few songs, I really don't like the Beach Boys. Sorry Louie!!!!

I don't hate you whatsoever....we are obviously entitled to our own opinion, but just curious what you havent heard by them? :lol:
Well I've heard all of their albums up to & including Pet Sounds. After Pet sounds, I've heard a few things but nothing was enough for me to listen to another album. I do love "God Only Knows" and "I Get Around." I also like "Wouldn't it be Nice" but honestly, that's about it. "Kokomo" along with Billy Joel's "Rover of Dreams" & "Come Sail Away" by Styx are my least favorite songs of all time. If I hear any of those songs, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (and not in a good way)

As for Fran Healy's beard, it makes him look like a scary old man. Remember when he used to be good looking? For those whom haven't seen it: