U2

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Miki

Re: U2

Post by Miki » 07 Nov 2015, 00:27

A lot of people think it's cool to hate U2. It's actually kind of boring, "Oh, you hate U2 too, uh?"

Not saying people have to like them, but they certainly don't have to hate them either.

Anyway... for many people who weren't around 35 years ago, U2 are a story that comes in a big bulk and they take it whole, without having experienced the growth and changes of the band's sound. I mean, I remember when U2 were a little known band from Ireland. I remember them before they went global. And I have seen them grow into a so called stadium band and go from biggest band on the planet to one of the most despised - and yes, Bono is rather insufferable. But I still love all their classic stuff. If I'm honest, I stopped following them closely after Achtung Baby (that for me remains their best album), though I did like a few things they did post AB. And though their legacy is a bit mixed, they made some great music.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 07 Nov 2015, 00:39

Another great u2 moment for me under a blood red sky.... https://youtu.be/72cJTi6_5fQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 07 Nov 2015, 00:45

U2's most proud concert moment was Sarajevo in 1997. It was a pretty big moment for the country I gather, in the aftermath of the Bosnian War. There's a fantastic Wikipedia article on it called "U2 concert in Sarajevo".

Miki

Post by Miki » 07 Nov 2015, 01:02

Oh, and I remember watching Live Aid as it happened :mrgreen:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Nov 2015, 06:19

Two of my fave U2 moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa0WNP3Zwwo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really loved "Rattle & Hum".. both the film and album.....

I first became exposed to them circa 1982.. "New Year's Day"......

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 07 Nov 2015, 09:23

I love their Live Aid performance. Their calling card to the world. Everyone says Queen owned that day, but U2 were right there on their coat tails effectively announcing themselves as the next generation's big stadium act. I had just about turned nine in July 1985 so I should have been witness to it but I don't think my family we're particularly into it so I'm not sure I saw much or any on TV. I certainly don't have any memories of it. Shame.

I remember having Rattle and Hum on a VHS I had taped from the TV. Must have been 89 / 90 or so as I recall it was prior to Achtung Baby. Wow, that tape got played to death. One of my favourite bits from at the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ifY1UV3CM

Miki

Post by Miki » 08 Nov 2015, 01:55

101reykjavik wrote:I love their Live Aid performance. Their calling card to the world. Everyone says Queen owned that day, but U2 were right there on their coat tails effectively announcing themselves as the next generation's big stadium act. I had just about turned nine in July 1985 so I should have been witness to it but I don't think my family we're particularly into it so I'm not sure I saw much or any on TV. I certainly don't have any memories of it. Shame.

I remember having Rattle and Hum on a VHS I had taped from the TV. Must have been 89 / 90 or so as I recall it was prior to Achtung Baby. Wow, that tape got played to death. One of my favourite bits from at the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ifY1UV3CM
Yeah, Rattle and Hum came out in 1988.

I was 18 when Live Aid happened and watched the whole thing... well... missed the later part in America due to the time zone. But I remember both Queen and U2 and yes, they both killed it.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Nov 2015, 02:56

I was 8 watching Live Aid the entire day and I echo Miki's sentiment that both Queen and U2 nailed it (both equally).....

I'll never forget the first time hearing this song and watching the video how it sent chills down me and always will! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHcP4MWABGY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edge's guitar, Bono's vocals/lyrics, Larry's drumming, and Adam's bass..... Just a wonderful tour-de-force.....

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 08 Nov 2015, 09:34

Miki wrote:
101reykjavik wrote:I love their Live Aid performance. Their calling card to the world. Everyone says Queen owned that day, but U2 were right there on their coat tails effectively announcing themselves as the next generation's big stadium act. I had just about turned nine in July 1985 so I should have been witness to it but I don't think my family we're particularly into it so I'm not sure I saw much or any on TV. I certainly don't have any memories of it. Shame.

I was 18 when Live Aid happened and watched the whole thing... well... missed the later part in America due to the time zone. But I remember both Queen and U2 and yes, they both killed it.
Sorry, yep, I just meant it must have been shown on TV around 89 / 90 based on it being released in 88, as you rightly say. :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Nov 2015, 22:48

101reykjavik wrote:
Miki wrote:

Sorry, yep, I just meant it must have been shown on TV around 89 / 90 based on it being released in 88, as you rightly say. :)

That was quite a remarkable period for them... "Joshua Tree" was such a smash hit and then "Rattle & Hum" was such an epic project.. Of course, that ended that particular phase in their career when they essentially were forced to completely reinvent themselves....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Nov 2015, 08:52

Miki wrote:A lot of people think it's cool to hate U2. It's actually kind of boring, "Oh, you hate U2 too, uh?"

Not saying people have to like them, but they certainly don't have to hate them either.

Anyway... for many people who weren't around 35 years ago, U2 are a story that comes in a big bulk and they take it whole, without having experienced the growth and changes of the band's sound. I mean, I remember when U2 were a little known band from Ireland. I remember them before they went global. And I have seen them grow into a so called stadium band and go from biggest band on the planet to one of the most despised - and yes, Bono is rather insufferable. But I still love all their classic stuff. If I'm honest, I stopped following them closely after Achtung Baby (that for me remains their best album), though I did like a few things they did post AB. And though their legacy is a bit mixed, they made some great music.
Yes, Miki, couldn't have put it better myself :D I also took an interest in them from the earliest days. I found my original cassette of 'War' recently. I had 'Live Under A Blood Red Sky' at the time, but sold it to get some pocket money for the school holidays. Times must have been bad.... :roll:
Miki wrote:Oh, and I remember watching Live Aid as it happened :mrgreen:
101reykjavik wrote:I love their Live Aid performance. Their calling card to the world. Everyone says Queen owned that day, but U2 were right there on their coat tails effectively announcing themselves as the next generation's big stadium act.
Yes I agree.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Nov 2015, 08:58

AdvertBreak wrote:The turn of the millennium seems to be the cut off point for a lot of people, according to consensus anyway. U2, R.E.M., Bowie, James
This is another interesting point, and I think there is truth in it.

Since the millenium, a music artist has stood less on their own terms, but has been integral with other media (TV, sport, retail, movies etc). Previously an artist may have lent some music to promote something else, but their success did not hinge upon it.

This scenario may be nullifying for major artists like U2 and Bowie, who are used to being their own creative force.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 21 Nov 2015, 01:54

Thought I'd rank the albums too

Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
War
Boy
ATYCLB
SOI
October
NLOTH
HTDAAB
RAH
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Nov 2015, 08:22

Another advocate for the 90s albums. :D

Watching the Mercury prize last night I quite forgot Achtung Baby was up it in its first year.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Dec 2015, 01:33

So I'm bored and I want to talk about a few of their tracks. I wrote about Zooropa and all its songs in the Last Album You Listened to thread, but I'm on a proper U2 binge.

Miami

So this song is basically their Idioteque, sort of. And by that I mean not that they are both track 8 on their 'electronic' albums but that they both have an strange, off-kilter rhythm and percussion forming the entire track. I think. If you know the two tracks you'll know what I mean. I love the groove, and its actually a backwards hi-hat put threw a very extreme equalization filter. Very experimental and it makes it sound perfectly wonky like Siouxsie and the Banshees' Peek-a-Boo. Especially when that, ur, bass? sound occasionally comes in. I've seen the song described as 'trip rock', like an offshoot of trip hop. But in this song, I feel the 'trip' literally means 'tripping over', like the beat is eternally falling over its shoelace but never hitting the ground, until "MIAAAAAMIIIIIII!!! MY MAMMY" and that strange guitar-filter adds a strange sound to the guitar, plus with those sporadic hiccup beeps. Q put this in their list of '10 Terrible Songs by Great Artist' (althuough I saw their top 5 worst U2 songs list and this wasn't on it, hmmm). Fuck Q.

Discotheque

I find it strange how this got to number 1 here in the UK but no one remembers it. I know not everyone liked it. Apparently it has a 'techno' beat, but I'm not sure techno is the word, considering that word is not interchangable with 'electronic dance music' as it is its own genre that sounds nothing like Discotheque. But yeah, great song, more or less best guitar riff ever, funny video, boom-cha! Boom-cha!

Gone

Although it was never a single its the band's favourite song from Pop, or at least that's the impression I'm getting. And wise choice. But I feel, like with Numb, the 2002 'New Mix' is better. The band often said they never got to finish Pop because they had to rush it in time for release before the prematurely booked PopMart Tour. In that case, the New Mix of Gone is them completing that track, and that quirky ass siren guitar riff and Krautrock beat better emphasised over the somewhat dry and raw original.

Moment of Surrender

This is one of the best things they've ever done, although its little known, tucked away as a monolithic 7 and a half minute track on their forgotten No Line on the Horizon. Sometimes its hard not to think of Rolling Stone magazine. "The most devastating ballad U2, or anyone, has done since 'One'", ranked 160 on the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list, etc. etc. But besides the huge acclaim, it was recorded in an awe moment. The song was an accident that the band miracously created in the short time of about an hour and then recorded perfectly in one take. After they'd finished that emotional take, everyone was silent in the studio, like they'd (in Eno's words) gone on a religious experience, and Eno said it was by far the best studio experience he's ever had. It must be said, its certainly something. It was the final song played on the highest-grossing tour ever, U2 360, and yet it still didn't come off quite as epic as it should have because no one in the audience seemed to know it (I gather from the Rose Bowl DVD). So naturally, the Glastonbury audience also drew a blank. Oh well.

Unknown Caller

And following that song on NLOTR can only be a song that begins subtletly, slowly unfolding its charms. IIRC, it wasn't the most loved song, but the strange percussion (parts fading in and out of volume) and oh-oh-oh... melody work very well, but, ah, its those computer lyrics. All that password stuff. Its quite funny, almost making the hidden religious meaning behind lyrics like "3:33 when the numbers fell off the clock face" feel like a bit of a joke. But its a grand song. And when I was 11 I once got it and How to Disappear Completely briefly confused when I wasn't that familiar with either. I knew they were both atmospheric and brooding, track 4 and six minutes long. Lol.