U2

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

AdvertBreak

U2

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 16:10

As requested, here is the thread where we can talk about the band that half of the forumers say they hate based on Bono alone which is such a shame.

So much I could say right now but I'm a bit busy so I'll write a big post about the 90s stuff later. Until then I want to commend their 90s career. A shame they never returned to it (even though they said they would on No Line on the Horizon).

Pop is my favourite album, which is very underrated and a masterpiece. It is followed by Achtung Baby and then Zooropa.

KingLouieLouie76

Re: U2

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2015, 16:35

AdvertBreak wrote:As requested, here is the thread where we can talk about the band that half of the forumers say they hate based on Bono alone which is such a shame.

So much I could say right now but I'm a bit busy so I'll write a big post about the 90s stuff later. Until then I want to commend their 90s career. A shame they never returned to it (even though they said they would on No Line on the Horizon).

Pop is my favourite album, which is very underrated and a masterpiece. It is followed by Achtung Baby and then Zooropa.

Yeah...I've honestly been shocked about how most on here seem to allow their vast disdain towards Bono cloud how they feel about U2 in general. U2 (similar to Blur) has survived by reinventing themselves at the right time. I've been a HUGE fan since I first heard "New Year's Day" way back when and I was shocked about "Atchung Baby" when that first came out, but over the years I've realized they had to resort to that or they would have been killed off by Grunge (like several other bands were).. "Joshua Tree" will always be a defining moment for them and "Rattle and Hum" had some of their best songs..... I've been mixed on their later material, but "Vertigo" was brilliant..... Also, one of the best concerts I've ever attended!

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 31 Oct 2015, 16:36

They're a fantastic band. My wife would probably love it if I disliked bands if their singer's a jerk: I'd spend a lot less on albums. But it's just hard to argue with the run from War until Zooropa, with Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree being perfect 10s. Their lesser albums also always have a few great songs.

I quite enjoyed Songs Of Innocence too, weird release strategy notwithstanding. The great songs there are some of their best songs since the nineties: "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" in particular hits the spot.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 31 Oct 2015, 16:39

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I was shocked about "Atchung Baby" when that first came out
I remember when "The Fly" was first shown on tv, and it was the main talking point the next day at school (we were 12). Opinions were mixed, but everyone agreed it was a ballsy single.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 16:41

Dammit, want to talk about U2 now! Still busy though :(

I've known them for longer than I can remember. Beautiful Day was my favourite song as a 3 year old. Nostalgic and in that sense timeless, even though it ended the great inventiveness they'd pulled off effortlessly until then.

It's hard to rank the albums, other than having 1) Pop 2) Achtung Baby 3) Zooropa

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 31 Oct 2015, 16:49

I'll give it a try...

01 - Achtung Baby
02 - The Joshua Tree
03 - Zooropa
04 - The Unforgettable Fire
05 - Rattle And Hum
06 - War
07 - Pop
08 - Songs Of Innocence
09 - Boy
10 - All The You Can Leave Behind
11 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
12 - No Line On The Horizon
13 - October

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 16:54

Good list, although I love No Line on the Horizon. I didn't at the time, but it has grown on me in the years since. Moment on Surrender is one of their best tracks ever.

It's strange that people view Zooropa and especially Pop as being rock-meets-electronica albums. Sure the band might have made them out to be like that at the time, but the only proper dance tracks on Pop are Discotheque and especially Mofo, although it does use the dance influence in less obvious ways on other tracks, whether it be an acid synthesiser (Do You Feel Loved, Please) or dance (live) beats with a love for sequencing (Staring at the Sun, even). Zooropa also uses the dance influence in less obvious ways, but that album's pretty bonkers anyway.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2015, 16:59

No way can I attempt to rank them..... they're all so unique in their own way, it's contingent on what type of mood I'm in... although I must admit I tend to favor their pre-"Atchung Baby" material more......

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 31 Oct 2015, 18:07

Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop was U2's imperial phase for me. Which is strange because it came relatively late in their career. I have a huge amount of time for their 80s output too of course. Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire and War being the stand outs. But the sheer guts in 1990 to take the risk of they did in Berlin and present that whole new sound was their main achievement I feel. The music of course was inspired too. Which makes everything since 2000 so disappointing. Bono announced they wanted to capture that classic U2 sound again but that just sounds like retreating to a comfort zone in retrospect and they lost it beyond that point in my opinion.

As mentioned by Mr Spenalzo though, I too distinctly remember hearing The Fly for the first time on the radio and being thoroughly thrown by it in a wonderful way. It was like nothing I'd heard before at that point. This is U2?! It felt important. Even the DJ was thrown. I remember Jacqui Brambles (!) after playing it told us listeners she thought it sounded like a demo. In the context of bland early 90s Radio 1 DJs, U2 scaring the DJs of the day felt good.
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 31 Oct 2015, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 18:14

I don't dislike 2000s U2 at all, but on the whole its nothing compared to the 90s stuff, despite some brilliant stand-outs (Electrical Storm, Moment of Surrender). I suppose its partly because I grew up with 2000s U2, but yeah.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 31 Oct 2015, 18:17

Electrical Storm was great, no arguments there.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 18:18

I do prefer the version on the album and video (William Orbit produced) to the other version that sometimes shows up.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 31 Oct 2015, 23:00

ECH.

zoozilla

Post by zoozilla » 01 Nov 2015, 06:19

U2 was the first band I ever really got into.

My dad gave me a copy of The Joshua Tree, and I was hooked. That album is perfect for a young teen, I think - it's big, dramatic, yearning, earnest. I heard Bono's voice and thought, "Wow, this guy's really singing with feeling!" (Now I'm more likely to think, "Christ, Bono, knock it off with the breathy, over-dramatic shit.")

My feelings on that album have fluctuated over the years, but it's hard to deny the songs. I still feel something deep in my belly when I hear the intro to Where the Streets Have No Name. What an incredible song that is.

I'm glad to see that others also think the 90s are their most creatively fertile period. Achtung Baby really was a game-changer - it showed U2 that taking a risk could pay off, so they kept on taking them. Unfortunately, as soon as the risk-taking failed them (with Pop), they cut it out. I think everything since then has sounded increasingly fussed-over and self-conscious. You can practically hear Bono thinking, "Will this one be a hit? Ooh, is this 'current' enough? How can we connect with the young people?" In retrospect, the 90s seem more like a fluke than anything else - a period where, for once in their career, the band weren't that concerned about public perception or commercial success.

It's too bad - I'd love more songs like "Lemon" or "Acrobat" or "Wake Up Dead Man," but it almost certainly won't happen.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 01 Nov 2015, 15:29

U2's The Unforgettable Fire is My favourite album of theirs. The first album I bought as a kid aged 12 was under a blood red sky! (Great live gig too on vhs).The Boy album was a great debut too, love the Achtung/Zooropa/Pop albums and went to a Zoo TV gig in Earl's Court in '92 with a mate as well as the Zoropia and Popmart tours at Wembley stadium. But soon left em behind when blur's modern life came out and discovered Pulp and suede and other "britpop" bands. but kept an ear out throughout the 90s But lost interest come the 2000s and the later albums. Amazing that they can still sellout 6 nights at the O2!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”