The Next Day
3%
Blackstar
11%

Total votes: 115

AdvertBreak

Re: David Bowie Thread (RIP)

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Feb 2016, 01:30

No conflict, I was saying that he didn't start out Let's Dance by trying to call the curtain on his creativity. He thought he was doing something new. But I was basically agreeing with you that the end result was pretty commercial, the execution, even if the idea wasn't.

In 1997 he said "At the time, Let's Dance was not mainstream. It was virtually a new kind of hybrid, using blues-rock guitar against a dance format. There wasn't anything else that really quite sounded like that at the time. So it only seems commercial in hindsight because it sold so many copies. It was great in its way, but it put me in a real corner in that it fucked with my integrity." Because of this, I think of Tonight and NLMD as the albums he set out to be commercial, and by extension Let's Dance in how they actually sound.

I think Genesis in that era were still experimental on some songs, but not on the singles, or single edits.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Feb 2016, 01:50

AdvertBreak wrote:No conflict, I was saying that he didn't start out Let's Dance by trying to call the curtain on his creativity. He thought he was doing something new. But I was basically agreeing with you that the end result was pretty commercial, the execution, even if the idea wasn't.

In 1997 he said "At the time, Let's Dance was not mainstream. It was virtually a new kind of hybrid, using blues-rock guitar against a dance format. There wasn't anything else that really quite sounded like that at the time. So it only seems commercial in hindsight because it sold so many copies. It was great in its way, but it put me in a real corner in that it fucked with my integrity." Because of this, I think of Tonight and NLMD as the albums he set out to be commercial, and by extension Let's Dance in how they actually sound.

I think Genesis in that era were still experimental on some songs, but not on the singles, or single edits.

First, thanks for sharing that interview piece....Definitely puts a lot into perspective!

And I agree w/you on Genesis... but a song like "Illegal Alien" just....agghhhhh.. makes me cringe! But that's an entirely different topic obviously! :lol:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Feb 2016, 01:52

He also said in 1995 that Lets Dance "was a good record, but it was only meant as a one-off project. I had every intention of continuing to do some unusual material after that. But the success of that record really forced me, in a way, to continue the beast. It was my own doing, of course, but I felt, after a few years, that I had gotten stuck."

Agreed about Illegal Alien. I think Genesis is generally a good album, but what the heck is that track doing there? :lol: On the other hand, I think the much maligned Who Dunnit? on Abacab is great.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Feb 2016, 18:55

AdvertBreak wrote:He also said in 1995 that Lets Dance "was a good record, but it was only meant as a one-off project. I had every intention of continuing to do some unusual material after that. But the success of that record really forced me, in a way, to continue the beast. It was my own doing, of course, but I felt, after a few years, that I had gotten stuck."

Agreed about Illegal Alien. I think Genesis is generally a good album, but what the heck is that track doing there? :lol: On the other hand, I think the much maligned Who Dunnit? on Abacab is great.

Yeah....it is so conflicting in regards to remain commercial after achieving at that success at the expense of sacrificing any artistic/creative integrity. At least though he woke-up at the right time and immediately reinvented himself when it was necessary or Bowie would have lost all sense of relevancy!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Feb 2016, 21:42

There's still a lot of oddities in his catalogue that people overlook. Pin Ups is canon, but The Buddha of Suburbia is often overlooked of course, as is his pretty bad half of the Labyrinth soundtrack, his 70s live albums David Live and Stage, and the other live albums he'd do later, Tin Machine II if not I as well, his Peter and the Wolf classical album, Christiane F. which yeah was a compilation soundtrack but a great one, The Idiot is never considered in Bowie biographies because it's Iggy only in name, the Baal EP which was the end of his "creative streak" 1969-82, Earthling in the City, The Next Day Extra.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 26 Feb 2016, 16:18

Today I heard a radio edit of Girl Loves Me.
I was sure Dollar Days would be the next single, what with it being the most conventional and not having fifty fucks to edit out..

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 26 Feb 2016, 16:46

I didn't think there would be any more singles. The whole thing behind Blackstar and Lazarus is that they were music videos. Releasing a previously released song as a "single" in this day and age without one or any B-sides etc. wouldn't work.

Did they just leave blanks in the song where the fucks were? That might have worked for Eamon and Furgee but it wouldn't work for Bowie :lol:

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 26 Feb 2016, 17:27

I didn't hear the whole thing but from what I heard the fucks were just cut from the vocal track..

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 26 Feb 2016, 22:22

I've found out that "Dollar Days" for whatever reason got some traction even among people who don't usually listen to Bowie.. Which is peculiar, because at the first glance I didn't pay that much of an attention to the track being too much impressed with the other ones. But I think if there could be another "single" (maybe even in a physical form with a remix or demo as a b-side), it should have been "Dollar Days".
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Feb 2016, 09:26

Very interesting discussions above :D
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Going back to Tin Machine, that enabled him to remain relevant when the music industry was at an extreme crossroads without him compromising himself in the process. Again, his keen ability to adapt always kept him afloat...not only that.. but ahead of the pack!
AdvertBreak wrote:Being dated doesn't make something cheesy
AdvertBreak wrote: "Dated" more or less means "suffering for being from its time" in my opinion, and that applies to basically no music made in the 90s, but a fair bit in the 80s
And very good points :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

JackS

Post by JackS » 29 Feb 2016, 09:00

I was thinking I Can't Give Everything Away would be a "single". Has a great hook and wouldn't sound too out of place on the radio.

Girl Loves Me is a completely bizarre choice.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 06 Apr 2016, 15:50

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/n ... way-watch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

really wish they didn't do this
i mean it looks nice and all
but after blackstar and lazarus to just have a lyric video
ugh

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Apr 2016, 16:06

Oh I dunno. I really like it. The transition from black and white to colour at the end is Bowie transcending from Blackstar into heaven.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 05 May 2016, 21:55

My tribute to the duke...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 May 2016, 22:37

TripleJay97 wrote:Image

My tribute to the duke...

Oh wow...that is so awesome....one of the best possible ways to honor him!