The Next Day
3%
Blackstar
11%

Total votes: 115

mr_spenalzo

Re: David Bowie Thread (RIP)

Post by mr_spenalzo » 12 Jan 2016, 18:35

Yes, AB: I voted Buddha one of my top 5, and of all albums in his catalog it's BTWN that Blackstar reminds me of the most.

I cannot begin to express how sad I am at the moment. Yesterday at work I wasn't able to speak to anyone all day. I think it was the first time since 2005 that I cried. In 2005 when I went through an emotional time, and I remember Bowie's music pulling me through those personal crises... I listened to the Young Americans album on repeat at the time, "Win" and "Right" in particular.

It's Bowie I always turned to in difficult times, also in '99 and 2000 when I was one messed up adolescent... I remember "It's No Game (Part 1)" and "Word On A Wing" doing overtime.. and "We Are The Dead", "Panic In Detroit" and "If I'm Dreaming My Life"... so many songs that saved me from feeling completely isolated. I don't know what I'd have done without his music.

Ironically, I cannot listen to his music now. Or watch any of those documentaries they're repeating on tv. Hurts too much, just as until this post I haven't been able to say or write anything. I'm fucking missing him.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 12 Jan 2016, 21:14

It was also the first time in a long time I cried. Its been a horrible time. However, I've found in my endless listening to Bowie that much of his stuff that I wasn't so bothered about I'm now starting to really enjoy.

My top 10 Bowie tracks, to those interested: https://moonrakerblabbering.wordpress.c ... ie-tracks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wrote the list a while ago but only posted it yesterday, with the modification of Blackstar.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 12 Jan 2016, 22:41

I was listening to "Young Americans" today, thinking how deeply I "underlistened" and underestimated him. He was present with all musicians I deeply admire and yet I somehow missed some of his own work. It is an easy problem to fix, but the saddest thing is that I now know that this incredible book of music and art has ended. It will stay here for many years to come, but now it's just impossible to think there will be nothing else - just look at the last photoshoot! It's just surreal to believe it.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Jan 2016, 22:55

mr_spenalzo wrote:Yes, AB: I voted Buddha one of my top 5, and of all albums in his catalog it's BTWN that Blackstar reminds me of the most.

I cannot begin to express how sad I am at the moment. Yesterday at work I wasn't able to speak to anyone all day. I think it was the first time since 2005 that I cried. In 2005 when I went through an emotional time, and I remember Bowie's music pulling me through those personal crises... I listened to the Young Americans album on repeat at the time, "Win" and "Right" in particular.

It's Bowie I always turned to in difficult times, also in '99 and 2000 when I was one messed up adolescent... I remember "It's No Game (Part 1)" and "Word On A Wing" doing overtime.. and "We Are The Dead", "Panic In Detroit" and "If I'm Dreaming My Life"... so many songs that saved me from feeling completely isolated. I don't know what I'd have done without his music.

Ironically, I cannot listen to his music now. Or watch any of those documentaries they're repeating on tv. Hurts too much, just as until this post I haven't been able to say or write anything. I'm fucking missing him.

What a spot-on first.. captured everything brilliantly!

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 12 Jan 2016, 23:27

At work I tend to fill a cooler at times and I used to listen to Bowie 80% of the time. So today I was in the cooler and listened to Bowie and nearly cried.

It's so hard to just pick my top 10 favorite songs of his. While I wasn't a die hard Bowie fan, he was in my top 10 favorite artists.

I've always love Ashes to Ashes. The video used to scare me as a kid,

When I was very young, I thought it was the coolest thing that his eyes looked like they were two different colors. I have a prosthetic eye and I always joked and said if I won the lottery I would have one blue eye (my real eye) and one green eye to be like David Bowie.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 12 Jan 2016, 23:40

I listened to Bowie solidly yesterday, just non-stop. How great is Low? Just spectacular on every level, what an album. But I have to say that Blackstar is right up there with the best. I picked it in my top 5 and it's great to see other people did as well. I genuinely think it's one of the best albums he's ever done and what a way to go out.

Also, I'm running an isolated track series on my website:

David Bowie Isolated Vocal Track: Space Oddity - http://tomcaswell.net/2016/01/12/david- ... ce-oddity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jan 2016, 06:55

It is a shock indeed. He was one of the greats. I mean, up there with Lennon, McCartney, Hendrix. He didn't just entertain (although he did that very well), but he made a difference. If I see something from the 1970s, I very often see something of Bowie in it. Yet he had not faded from the scene.

And AFAIK there was no noticeable decline in health. E.g. as there was with Freddie Mercury and Kenny Everett, which was picked up on by the media.

I hadn't followed his music so much in the last 20 years (indeed he did little at all from 2003-13). But from the early 70s through to the mid 80s he was always potent. Whatever the musical style or fashion, he was amongst it, invigorating it, instigating it. His own man, but within it all. There was a positivity around him.

He shone a light, showing that creativity could be borne from pragmatism. Other popular stars appeal to a certain audience, as if they are there to fulfil a requirement. But Bowie had something for everyone. I realised this when I heard the variety of work he did - BBC 6Music played virtually nothing but Bowie on Monday.

Suddenly the 1970s seems further away :cry:

RIP David Bowie.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jan 2016, 07:19

Everyone has been posting meaningful tributes. This one in particular sums it up for me:
Miki wrote:Few musicians have left such a mark, influenced so many people, taken so many chances, explored, invented, changed and pushed boundaries as he did. He will be remembered as one of the greatest artists of our time. He lived and worked in his world and dimension, while at the same time being one of the most connected people around. Always ahead, always with his finger on the pulse. He brought the avant-gard to the masses, he made it cool to be different and unique. A true artist in every sense of the word.

I can't believe he's gone :cry:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 13 Jan 2016, 13:34

I think Blackstar is written not from his own point of view but that of a successor. Or someone who thinks he is.

First it's got the one bit:

Something happened on the day he died,
spirit rose a meter then stepped aside
somebody else took his place and bravely cried,
I'm a Blackstar.'

And then you've got braggy lines like these:

'You're a flash in the pan, I'm the great I am'
'I'm a Blackstar. I'm way up, on money, I've got game'

There definitely was a ton of thought put into this.
I liked it back when I thought it was just being cryptic, but now..

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 13 Jan 2016, 19:18

It's too early and difficult to rank Blackstar, so I didn't vote for it here.
I have, however, just listened to it for the first time since the weekend. And damnit if "Dollar Days" isn't one stunning song.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 13 Jan 2016, 21:49

So am I the only one who thinks that Scary Monsters is one of his best albums?

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Jan 2016, 22:01

Someone said his first album :?

Also, no Pinkerton, Scary Monsters is still in my top 10.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 13 Jan 2016, 22:20

I intend to listen to all his albums chronologically over some time (wonder how much time would it take) - and, obviously, I began with the S/T record. Funny thing, this is another case of a self-titled release that either shows a major departure for the artist or just doesn't show what the artist is (or will be) famous for (the other three examples for me are The Beatles, blur and St. Vincent). Though, I must say, this first record has some Syd Barrett flavor in it which makes it rather peculiar.

Anyways, "Low" is released 39 years ago today. The whole Berlin Trilogy is about 40 years old now, imagine that...
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Jan 2016, 22:36

davidsutter wrote:I think Blackstar is written not from his own point of view but that of a successor. Or someone who thinks he is.

First it's got the one bit:

Something happened on the day he died,
spirit rose a meter then stepped aside
somebody else took his place and bravely cried,
I'm a Blackstar.'

And then you've got braggy lines like these:

'You're a flash in the pan, I'm the great I am'
'I'm a Blackstar. I'm way up, on money, I've got game'

There definitely was a ton of thought put into this.
I liked it back when I thought it was just being cryptic, but now..
It's a stunning final act leaving us with this artistic statement to dissect and interpret. Despite the sorrow, I feel such admiration for the man for creating this, all the while knowing its purpose, and just delivered last week, right at the end, for us all. What other artist has ever done something like this?

Some theories on the ideas behind Blackstar: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/d ... r-and-5-o/

rich

Post by rich » 14 Jan 2016, 12:42

this was in the window of Paul Smith's Covent Garden shop last night...

I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405