Lush

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Forever Low Man

Re: Lush

Post by Forever Low Man » 06 Dec 2015, 03:02

Mark72 wrote:They do and they don't if you get what I mean. Miki looks great,thought she might visit the redhead look again. had a massive teenage crush on her back in the early '90s!
I get what you mean, although I think we can all agree that Chris probably looks absolutely nothing like he used to! #stilltoosoon
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 06 Dec 2015, 14:29

Forever Low Man wrote:
Mark72 wrote:They do and they don't if you get what I mean. Miki looks great,thought she might visit the redhead look again. had a massive teenage crush on her back in the early '90s!
I get what you mean, although I think we can all agree that Chris probably looks absolutely nothing like he used to! #stilltoosoon
He probably still looks better than a reformed Happy Mondays would.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Dec 2015, 07:31

I would say they look middle-aged. But I often think that when I see 90s artists now. You always picture them as they were and it is surprising to see that they have aged.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Dec 2015, 09:09

Thinking about it now, how would Lush have fared had Chris Acland not died? They had always been popular in indie circles and the music press. The album 'Lovelife' chimed with Britpop and spawned three top 30 singles.

Were they on the cusp of top ten hits? As happened with other indie stalwarts like Edwin Collins, Everything But The Girl, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Lightning Seeds, The Charlatans, James at around this time.

Although Acland's death in effect was the end for Lush, the official break-up was not announced until 18 months later, by which time record companies were culling their indie rosters. I suggest that, in autumn 1996, Lush remained a potent force for which greater things were anticipated.

But the death probably put them into personal turmoil, they were unable to get it together musically during 1997 and by the end of that year, music changes in general meant that their opportunity had gone :cry:

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 11 Dec 2015, 18:21

I recall reading that before Chris committed suicide, Emma had told Miki and Phil of her intentions to leave the band. I think Emma leaving would've been the end. Of course it's always possible with a break from touring she'd change her mind, but by '96 and before Chris took his life, Lush were beginning to unravel.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Dec 2015, 07:05

With other girl-fronted indie bands between albums (e.g. Sleeper, Echobelly, Elastica), and Catatonia yet to emerge fully, the period from autumn 1996 up to the release of the next Oasis album was the opportunity for Lush. If they were going to be big, this was their window.

Though as you suggest mr_spenalzo, maybe tensions were there, among them Emma wishing to leave, and these prayed on Acland's mind.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 02 Jan 2016, 16:12

damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 02 Jan 2016, 16:47

Phil looks like prog rock grown up.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 05 Jan 2016, 22:51

They look great especially Miki! Looking forward to hear the E.P and seeing them play in May......and Hopfully Glastonbury when I go this year! ;)
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 22 Feb 2016, 01:13

New single "out of control" and I really like it!

http://youtu.be/bD4O20ePnXo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Feb 2016, 08:39

Yes it sounds like Lush should sound. :)

Just as others like Suede, PJ Harvey and The Prodigy seem to be on such form at the moment. The 90s revival is here.... :P

I have been playing some Lush lately. I regret that at the time they passed me by too much.

I remember 'The Scene That Celebrates Itself' as promoted by the music press but it coincided with the earlier shoegaze stuff which didn't grab me.

But the 'Lovelife' album was very much aligned to the Britpop sound and had several great songs. Indeed, the singles did not do justice to that album. I think that by 1996 their work was easily comparable to Sleeper or Echobelly who tended to get the greater attention.

As I mentioned above, the window for major success was there in 1996-97. Had they not been consumed by internal problems this could have happened.