Apple Music

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: Apple Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 05 May 2016, 20:24

I thought it was a bit odd :lol: I have no idea what to think though as I don't have Apple Music.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 05 May 2016, 22:40

tom_cas1 wrote:
Ummm:
1. If Apple serves me my music, that means that when I don’t have wifi access, I can’t listen to it. When I say “my music,” I don’t just mean the music that, over twenty years (since before iTunes existed), I painstakingly imported from thousands of CDs and saved to my computer’s internal hard drive. I also mean original music that I recorded and saved to my computer. Apple and wifi access now decide if I can hear it, and where, and when.
I'm guessing this person had all their music in iCloud which means (obviously) they wouldn't be able to access it without an internet connection. That just goes without saying. Just like you wouldn't be able to access your CD if you left it at home.
2. What Apple considers a “match” often isn’t. That rare, early version of Fountains of Wayne’s “I’ll Do The Driving,” labeled as such? Still had its same label, but was instead replaced by the later-released, more widely available version of the song. The piano demo of “Sister Jack” that I downloaded directly from Spoon’s website ten years ago? Replaced with the alternate, more common demo version of the song. What this means, then, is that Apple is engineering a future in which rare, or varying, mixes and versions of songs won’t exist unless Apple decides they do. Said alternate versions will be replaced by the most mainstream version, despite their original, at-one-time correct, titles, labels, and file contents.
As far as complaints go, this is tiny.
3. Although I could click the little cloud icon next to each song title and “get it back” from Apple, their servers aren’t fast enough to make it an easy task. It would take around thirty hours to get my music back. And even then…
NO. Downloading it from iCloud is reliant on the internet, meaning download speed varies. If you have a huge collection in iCloud OF COURSE it's going to be slow to download. How is that Apple's fault? It's down to the internet you have.
4. Should I choose to reclaim my songs via download, the files I would get back would not necessarily be the same as my original files. As a freelance composer, I save WAV files of my own compositions rather than Mp3s. WAV files have about ten times the number of samples, so they just sound better. Since Apple Music does not support WAV files, as they stole my compositions and stored them in their servers, they also converted them to Mp3s or AACs. So not only do I need to keep paying Apple Music just to access my own files, but I have to hear an inferior version of each recording instead of the one I created.
Proof please? Because this seems HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Why would Apple "steal" original compositions? Makes no sense at all. My guess is these "original compositions" were sent to iCloud and because they aren't on iTunes or Apple Music (BECAUSE THEY ARE ORIGINAL COMPOSITIONS) they wouldn't be "put back". They were just removed, not stolen, Apple did not steal anything.

I'm done.
Then go tell the guy.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 05 May 2016, 22:49

In other news, Apple Music is about to be revamped - the new design will be introduced at WWDC conference in June http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... departures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm using Apple Music everyday and I learned to cope with the difficulties and strange UX decisions that were made, but I am still a little bit angry when something crashes, doesn't load up or mismatches. For example, all my live bootlegs of blur were messed up, thanks to Apple Music matching system - it replaced all the tracks with album versions, even when the song was titled "Name [Date, Place]". The alternative is to sync via computer and it's just too slow and requires a lot of space, but it works 100% of the time, while Apple Musac works about 70% of the time. Sadly, Spotify is unavailable in Russia - I think I could have solved my problems by having bootlegs in iTunes and all the regular music in Spotify.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 May 2016, 07:13

I haven't stored any of my music in 'clouds'. I think it is best to preserve your own collection, backing up onto your own hard drive if necessary. :geek:

I suppose if you do store with Apple you need to know the disadvantages such as those mentioned in the blog.

Some interesting points raised about the corporates attitude to music. It is perhaps inevitable that if you store a given version of a song with them, they will substitute it with a more commonly-known version.

A similar attitude exists at radio stations I believe. If you write in to get 'your oldies' played, and request e.g. The Beatles 'Rain' or 'Baby You're A Rich Man', as far as corporate radio programmers are concerned, they are obscure B-sides, and you will hear 'Paperback Writer' and 'Hello Goodbye' instead.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 May 2016, 08:06

tom_cas1 wrote:
2. What Apple considers a “match” often isn’t. That rare, early version of Fountains of Wayne’s “I’ll Do The Driving,” labeled as such? Still had its same label, but was instead replaced by the later-released, more widely available version of the song. The piano demo of “Sister Jack” that I downloaded directly from Spoon’s website ten years ago? Replaced with the alternate, more common demo version of the song. What this means, then, is that Apple is engineering a future in which rare, or varying, mixes and versions of songs won’t exist unless Apple decides they do. Said alternate versions will be replaced by the most mainstream version, despite their original, at-one-time correct, titles, labels, and file contents.
As far as complaints go, this is tiny.
Well it would certainly annoy me

[Other points I can't relate to as I have no idea what iCloud is, except that I guess its a drive.]

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 May 2016, 09:32

iCloud is their online storage system so naturally download speed is reliant on what internet a person has, and not Apple's servers which was their main point in that article.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...