Last Album You Listened To?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Consigliere_11

Re: Last Album You Listened To?

Post by Consigliere_11 » 31 Aug 2015, 18:53

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Good film, and the music is splendid. I hope there will be the second part
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 01 Sep 2015, 20:34

Miley Cyrus & the Flaming Lips - Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz

I'm torn. Some of this is really, really good. Like surprisingly good. But there are still pop shite trademarks all over it which make it seem far less valuable.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 02 Sep 2015, 00:03

yeah. new miley cyrus is really good.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 02 Sep 2015, 03:22

TripleJay97 wrote:Miley Cyrus & the Flaming Lips - Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz

I'm torn. Some of this is really, really good. Like surprisingly good. But there are still pop shite trademarks all over it which make it seem far less valuable.
I think that makes it more valuable. The fact that it can be pop but still have integrity is what what makes a good pop album. A lot of people will just go out and not The word "pop" has become taboo for so many people, it's strange.
The "pop" I hear in some of the songs remind me of 80's pop, when it had soul. Pop needs soul in it, and this new Miley Cyrus has it - even if it is all because of The Flaming Lips.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 02 Sep 2015, 05:05

'Soul' isn't what I meant though. I was referring to the random pitch-shifting vocals, the flat out bad lyrics, random dumb sound effects...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 02 Sep 2015, 05:52

Whatever.. Those things don't really bother me.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 Sep 2015, 05:19

metalhipslop wrote: The "pop" I hear in some of the songs remind me of 80's pop, when it had soul.
You must be referring to good catchy songs that are not cheesy. A lot of new music around now is reminiscent of the later 80s, given that the retro cycle tends to hark back to sounds of 20-30 years before.
metalhipslop wrote:The fact that it can be pop but still have integrity is what what makes a good pop album.
Yes, I agree.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 01 Nov 2015, 11:03

AdvertBreak wrote:Cardiacs - Sing to God (1996)
This.

I'm never going to tire of this record.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 23 Dec 2015, 18:42

I'm going to listen to my whole collection in chronological order, starting in 1979 which is the year I was born.

I was initially going to listen to albums released after I was born only, but I have two that various internet sites list as "April 1979", so they could've been released before or after. Add that one of my favourite records of that year, Roxy Music's Manifesto came out before I did, I've extended the invitation to pre-me 1979 records.

Will keep track of them on an Allmusic profile. Today was the first record: Elvis Costello's Armed Forces.
37 records from '79 to go: it'll probably take a few years before I'm up to date.

http://www.allmusic.com/profile/mr_spenalzo

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 23 Dec 2015, 20:36

^That's a really good idea. Also, a brilliant album to start with ;)

If I was to do it I'd be starting with Bjork's Homogenic and then to The Verve's Urban Hymns and Robbie, ur..., Williams' Life thru a Lens

U2 - Zooropa

U2's first truly underrated album. It was released in the shadow of the perfect Achtung Baby, and remains one of their 'forgotten' albums. It didn't really have any hits, except Stay I guess, although that's not one of the band's best known songs. And that's all a shame, because its a fantastic record and there's a lot of things I could say about it, but I'll do a brief track by track because I'm currently properlly listening to Christmas songs for the first and I guess last time this year. It's one of their most experimental, with many of its songs sounding out-of-genre and featuring unusual experimental guitar work, strange sampling from sources both strange and obscure, including sound effects and electronic music, its dancey yet dark, its pretty European as the name suggests, and it comes closer to being the band's Kid A than Achtung does, to be frank.

1. Zooropa - Exciting, atmospheric intro, ambience surrounded by a crazy array of unintelligble voices, then the bass sharps up and rather than bursting into the track, it fades into a wah-wah guitar effect (The Edge experiments a lot with his guitar on this album) which takes the song into the advertising portion before the rapid synthy sound basically turns it into another track. Superb stuff. Dream out loud, Bono's distorted voice pleads as the synth speeds up and dies...
2. Babyface - ...and then arrives the "sometimes I skip it" Babyface. It's not the album's best song but its still pretty good, and it does sound right as the second track, but I'd put it later on in the album. It's not quite New World Towers syndrome because Babyface is a better song. The bell is a nice touch.
3. Numb - Yet another song which is hard to put under one genre. Oh how they try. 'Industrial rock', 'trip hop', give up, U2 made a lot of "ur, this doesn't really fit into a single genre" music beteeen 1992-97. The Edge's bluntly monotone vocals sound terrific and complimented by Bono's sporadic falsetto and the array of sound effects, but I prefer the 2002 'New Mix' which adds a nice little guitar riff near the end, making the song sound, well, better. Also, good video.
4. Lemon - Dark disco alternative music? Is that even a thing? No, its not, but if it was then this is it. So Bono goes full out falsetto, the guitar is unusually gated, making it sound rhythmic, but it shines pretty rather than imposing (like the guitar in How Soon is Now, for example). It's a rhythmic track thanks to that great bassline and unusual percussion.
5. Stay (Faraway, So Close) - One of the best alternative rock ballads of the 90s, obviously. I remember reading one critic called it a two years older cousin of High and Dry and 1979, and it sounds like it I guess. Great lyrics and that. It's one of the most classic U2 sounding songs on the album, in the middle of a sea of music that alienated a great deal of their fans.
6. Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car - Slightly creepy, funny lyrics, a driving industrial sound. How that Lenin fanfare bleeds into that great and unusual intro is definitely a highlight, and its even better live on the Zoo TV Sydney DVD. Oh, and speaking of it live, it was MacPhisto's intro song, beginning singing it back stage in his "dressing room" before walking on stage before the middle eight whilst the Trabant cars go mad swinging above them and ZooU293 dollars are flown into the audience. And then of course MacPhisto's memorable speech and whimpery, pitch perfect phone call leading perfectly into Lemon as the whole place lights up revealing the whole weight of the surreality. God I fucking love Zoo TV.
7. Some Days are Better than Others - A bit of a listy song, love the bassline and the percussion. Again another oddly funky rhythmic track, whilst the guitar warps in and out during the chorus.
8. The First Time - Another slower song, although I won't say 'classic style U2', especially with the quiet guitar. Nice stuff, and one of Bono's favourites from the album (he doesn't like the album that much, so that might explain that)
9. Dirty Day - A nice track that builds up. Again, the bass is a highlight. Adam Clayton really got good on this album.
10. The Wanderer - Ah, the Wanderer. Written for and sung perfectly by Johnny Cash whilst the band play their "musical joke" beneath: deliberately kitschy lo-fi electronic music. And it all sounds great. I don't consider it kitschy though, that's the band saying that ("the ultimate Holiday Inn band from HeII") and yet it doesn't sound like anything else. I'm not sure why that is. The atmospheric, background harmony? I dunno
And then there's a siren sound after 30 seconds that scares you shitless.

The band, or maybe Bono, seem to be one to believe their own critics about what albums are their worst (hello Damon), and although no critic has ever said its their worst, it didn't really sell quite as well as some albums. Bowie loved it (imagine it he released Zoorpoa instead of Black Tie White Noise) but Bono said he thought Zooropa was genius, and that their "pop discipline" was matching their experientantation and that it was their Sgt Pepper, but that he later realised he was wrong, saying it was more experimental than pop, and "what's Sgt Pepper without the pop songs?". On the flipside, Adam Clayton considers it one of his favourite U2 albums. But in 1997 they'd release THEIR TRUE MASTERPIECE Pop, which built on the electronic influence, but was less of a success and naturally the band don't like it that much, moaning about it not being finished or something. Which it wasn't, to be fair, they were rushed to complete it intime for the PopMart Tour, but It's still their best album ;)

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 24 Dec 2015, 17:40

I'm 4 albums into 1979 (rating out of 10 in brackets)

Elvis Costello - Armed Forces (7) (Jan)
What some people have with Dylan, I have with Costello: his voice rubs me the wrong way, so I like his songs better than his recordings. Here is songs are so good I can overcome this.

George Harrison - George Harrison (6) (Feb)
It's pleasant enough, but the fab "Not Guilty" (which I like better here than as a Beatles outtake) and "Your Love Is Forever" aside it's not too remarkable.

Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones (6) (Feb)
I want to like this record better than I do; I like her voice, her style, her lyrics. As a relatively new purchase, I probably need to spend more time with Rickie Lee.

Roxy Music - Manifesto (8) (Mar)
Its reputation as a lesser Roxy album's only because their previous albums were so phenomenal. Manifesto is still a great piece of work, with several 5-star songs. I love "Stronger Through The Years" (contains 2 minutes of aural orgasm) and "Dance Away" in particular.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Dec 2015, 19:48

Abba 'Voulez Vous' was a good album. My sister had it.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."