Last Album You Listened To?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: Last Album You Listened To?

Post by AdvertBreak » 23 Jul 2015, 20:22

The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (2009)

I remember when this came out in early 2009. I caught the end of the Invaders Must Die video either December 2008 or January 2009 on either MTV Dance and MTV Two (now MTV Rocks). I didn't know it was Prodigy because they'd forgot to say, but besides recognizing Mickey from Doctor Who, I recognized their ant logo which featured throughout the video. They hadn't used that ant since 1999. What I knew straight away was that I liked the melody, and I took to Google straight away and my prediction was confirmed, a new Prodigy album was ariving.

To be honest, 2004's Always Outnumbered and its singles passed me by, except for "Spitfire" which was on a free covermount CD with The Guardian in early 2005. Only when their greatest hits came out at the end of 2005 did I really know anything else from it. When that album came out in 2004, it was criticised for lack of new ideas, for lack of excitement. Indeed, I disagree, and late critical revisionism has found that album more friends, just like Daft Punk's Human After All. It does sound like it was made in 2004, whilst at the same time, sounding fresh still, so much so that anything from it could be a hit today. Really, little music made a decade ago has really dated.

Invaders Must Die was pipped a return to the Prodigy's "roots". My first thoughts were 1) what, like Moby did last year?, and 2) what, Experience's hardcore rave? Obviously, Moby's "roots" album was a return to acid house circa 1989, and The Prodigy's Invaders Must Die turned out to be a very different beast, a return to the rave/breakbeat hardcore of 1992. Still, when official lead single Omen was released ahead of the album, I thought "shouty Keith Flint and undeniable rocky edge? Nah, this is 1997". When I heard the album, some of it was in this vein, but some of it definitely harked back to 1992, and successfully so. Take "Warrior's Dance" for example. It does sound like something XL Records would have put out in the early 1990s, and yet at the same time, it sounds contemporary (it was a top 10 hit) - but not in from terrible bollocky production point of view. It sounds contemporary because electronic music really needed that "old skool" kick. Whenever something "old skool" returned, it was in a shiny, slick, shitty EDM form (see Utah Saints and Guru Josh 2008 remakes). Moby's Last Night didn't produce any hits because, say, with that album's "Everyday It's 1989", it does sound like 1989, and it can't marry that idea with any sense of revivalism, other than Moby's own nostalgia. Don't believe me? Look at electronic hits from after Invaders Must Die. Dizzee Rascal's "Dirtee Money" being a great example. Late 80s/early 90s revival. Invaders Must Die definitely helped hurry this process up.

Critics had mixed opinions at the time, as with Always Outnumbered. Also, unlike Always Outnumbered, which is getting a slow and gradual critical reappraisal, I doubt Invaders Must Die will ever get similar treatment, which is a great shame. The tunes on here are fine. "Thunder" and "Colours" are great fast-tempo marriages between 1992 and 2009. The Dave Grohl tracks are unlikely and fun. "Take Me to the Hospital" is sipmly a tu-u-une. Many of the "1992" tracks feature the sped up vocal trademark that hit practically everything on their 1992 debut, Experience, some of its 1994 follow up Music from the Jilted Generation. 1992's Experience was probably subject to some ridicule at the time of release. "Charly" was criticised as the birth of kiddie rave. Now look at that album from today's perspective, it's considered a classic! And rightfully so.

Oh but the new Prodigy album is shit.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Jul 2015, 07:18

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:"Little Games" by the Yardbirds......It was very intriguing to see Jimmy Page transitioning them to obviously we know later became Led Zeppelin. I believe Jim McCarty could have remained as their drummer (but LZ obviously wouldn't have been the same minus Bonham's dynamics). Obviously, Page needed a more versatile singer than Relf (who was better suited for Blues and slower ballads).... Dreja just picked-up bass during that period, but they were already starting to use JPJ during their later sessions. Such a very splendid album and one to me that ranks w/the better 1967 releases, but just got overshadowed quite a bit back then!
Interesting album that sits at a crossroads within musical styles and politics.

The Yardbirds were obviously heading into psych at that time, as you would expect them too. But Mickie Most was brought in as producer. Although he had worked with The Animals and Donovan, he was also a pop song producer for Herman's Hermits and Lulu. And he had a very efficient, 'get the job done' attitude. Thus he merely used session players in preference to the group members, if he thought they could complete the task better. And this happened on 'Little Games' which was recorded very quickly in comparion to, say, 'Sgt Pepper'. He once said in an interview to the effect that "we started recording at 6pm, and I was having dinner with my wife at 10 o' clock".

Jimmy Page and JPJ had played as sessionists for Most prior to 'Little Games'. But they were now obviously heading towards heavy rock, and the no-nonsense Most with his disposable attitude was not the man to progress with them in this respect. Equally, although Most was very much 'king of his own castle', I don't think he was keen on the management styles of Mike Jeffrey, Peter Grant etc. He went his own way in the 70s with the pop-orientated RAK Records label.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Jul 2015, 16:05

First, it would have been amazing if Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page lasted together longer! But, Keith Relf's vocal range lacked and he would have probably stunted even Page's growth as a guitarist because both Page and Plant eventually fed off of each other perfectly.

Relf was mainly into the Blues, but then him and former Yardbirds drummer, Jim McCarty later formed a band called Renaissance which had a distinctly different sound of their own.... Here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Kb7AAW8_8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imagine..that was when Led Zeppelin was bursting onto the scene!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jul 2015, 06:51

Yes, we don't realise how remarkable the voice of Robert Plant was at that time (late 60s). I don't think anyone had really 'roared' like that in mainstream music.

The same can be said of Janis Joplin and Paul Rodgers.

Before this, we had distinct vocals by such as John Lennon on 'Twist & Shout', but in the late 60s the singing voice took on an expression all of its own, like an instrument. They were influenced by the expressive soul singers, no doubt. 8-)

By contrast, Renaissance perhaps took forward the 'hippy ideal' in a more introspective, folk-tinged way with crystal-clear vocals. Which also had its moments.

A very creative time. :D

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 30 Jul 2015, 16:14

Last album I listened to: Boo Yaa Tribe - Angry Samoans. Gangsta rap metal album.

Miki

Post by Miki » 30 Jul 2015, 20:04

The Vaccines, English Graffiti

I wasn't sure whether there would be more left in the Vaccines that would warrant me buying another of their albums - loved the first, liked the second, wasn't expecting much from the third - but in fact they surprised me, and English Graffiti is a strong indie-pop fair, very enjoyable.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Jul 2015, 22:52

C86

C86 is unfuckable. When the NME compiled this 22 track classic as send-away cassette in 1986, its name became a nickname for the genre it was simultaneously summarising and yet popularising. Its the jangle pop/indie pop classic.

Let's begin with its first track, Primal Scream's Velocity Girl. This was years before Screamadelica, and Bobby was fresh off being The J&MC's drummer, where he had only just been responsible for the great drum sound on Psychocandy. But "Velocity Girl" is the epitome of jangle/indie pop music. It manages that in 82 seconds long.

Of course, C86 isn't all songs that sound like Velocity Girl. Actually, there's only one Velocity Girl on this album. There are stylistic changes all over this album but its all indie/whatever/blahblah. Sometimes it gets surreal (the bizarre everything about Stump's Buffalo and the even more bizarre everything about Big Flame's New Way (Quick Wash and Brush Up with Liberation Theology)). Sometimes, its great noise pop (The Wedding Present's This Boy Cain Wait). Sometimes, its funky half-Smiths half-Orange Juice (Mighty Mighty's Law). One thing that all of it is, though, is great.

What's one of the best things about this album? Introducing me to many, many bands. I already knew Primal Scream, The Wedding Present and The Soup Dragons, but not the others. Further exploring the discographies of many of the bands has been brilliant. Mighty Mighty are just fucking great. Big Flame are possibly the best "spiky" post-punk band ever, and their Rigour compilation is 10/10. Age of Chance proved themselves to be an hilariously embarrassing but tongue-in-cheeck indie dance act.

Blah blah blah. The 3CD version that came out last year is, because it has 50 more tracks and therefore 50 more bands, even better, but I won't extend on that because I didn't hear those tracks today, but I'm off to play one of those tracks, an interesting pre-shoegazey track (14 Iced Bears' Inside).

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Aug 2015, 11:13

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, we don't realise how remarkable the voice of Robert Plant was at that time (late 60s). I don't think anyone had really 'roared' like that in mainstream music.

The same can be said of Janis Joplin and Paul Rodgers.

Before this, we had distinct vocals by such as John Lennon on 'Twist & Shout', but in the late 60s the singing voice took on an expression all of its own, like an instrument. They were influenced by the expressive soul singers, no doubt. 8-)

By contrast, Renaissance perhaps took forward the 'hippy ideal' in a more introspective, folk-tinged way with crystal-clear vocals. Which also had its moments.

A very creative time. :D

I would rank Deep Purple's Ian Gillan's vocals and even Rod Stewart when he was w/The Jeff Beck Group as ferocious to Robert Plant. Renaissance was so distinctly different from the Yardbirds that it is unreal. It's if as though it's the polar opposite end of the musical spectrum, but Relf and McCarty had to evolve more musically or otherwise they might have been accused of trying to live on past glories or even copying off what Led Zeppelin was doing. Just unfortunate how Relf passed, he still had so much to offer!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Aug 2015, 07:39

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I would rank Deep Purple's Ian Gillan's vocals and even Rod Stewart when he was w/The Jeff Beck Group as ferocious to Robert Plant.
Yes I agree. These are other examples of how the vocalist became more expressive at this time.

Advert Break - just to pick up on the 'C86' bands. Indie music did not really reach beyond the college campus at this time. And would not really do so until Britpop. But this album, like the pre-'Thrills & Pills....' Happy Monday's albums, was a pointer on the way to greater times.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 04 Aug 2015, 15:27

Genesis - A Trick of the Trail

Phil Collin's first album as the band's lead singer. It's perfect prog rock. It hassome beautiful melodies and great songs like Ripples, A Trick of the Trail, Mad Man Moon, & Entangled. Better than any Peter Gabriel Genesis album (imo). Not a bad song on the album.

Miki

Post by Miki » 05 Aug 2015, 14:06

^ My favourite Genesis album

Arcade Fire, The Suburbs

I don't have too much to say about this masterpiece of a record. If you haven't heard it yet, do!

I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Aug 2015, 22:23

Cardiacs - Sing to God (1996)

I first got into Cardiacs thanks to this forum, on the Cardiacs thread by Jay. I decided to check out A Little Man... and it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting a punky sort of thing. Heck, I'd seen Blur and Radiohead had cited them as an influence, so I even subconsciously thought Talk Talk. But no, instead there was a bombastic, prog-influenced, pretty crazy band playing spiky music with many tune changes and key changes, altering dynamics including stop/start. And well, I enjoyed it.

And I enjoyed them even more as I got to now them then - it must be said - at the pushing advice of Jay, and today he promoted their apparent magnum opus Sing to God to me. I didn't listen straight away and got distracted throughout the day until me and him decided to listen to it at the same time, with me giving feedback. FLM also joined in as a last minute decision.

Well what I heard was something definitely Cardiacs. It wasn't a move away from their sound but it was just as much its own thing, featuring many layered sounds and interesting textures. But I should say that, because its Cardiacs, there are many of them. And there are even more considering its a double album. The album kept surprising me with sudden musical turnarounds. Full on guitar parts burst out of ambient soundscapes. Three second organ solos appear mid way through a verse. The musicianship is without a doubt, tight as can be. It's certainly pristine in that sense, but never virtuoso-style pretentious, because the attention is never really on them as "wow look at us, we can do this" as much as "look at them, they could do that". There is a mess of influences at sound here, or at least that what it sounds like to me. Another striking thing is how, even though the tracks are so huge in that there are many changes in tune, key, etc., it all sounds like it could be very catchy on repeated listens, even though its more overwhelming on first. A fine album. My favourite from first listen was "Dirty Boy", showing some impressive guitar work.

Anyway, I'll be returning to this album more often. Oh, and Jay asked me do write this review. ;)

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 30 Aug 2015, 22:26

You're very welcome :lol:

So what will I be reviewing next time? Show of Hands? Or do I have to review the Barlow album too?

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Aug 2015, 22:28

Show of Hands, sure. I posted about it on the first page, very briefly.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 31 Aug 2015, 15:03

2 Pulp albums last evening:

His 'n' Hers and Different Class.

I usually listen to music when I'm alone, but yesterday was different, because when you're with a lovely girl who also loves Pulp, the feeling is way better. 8-)