"Hip Hop Saved Music"

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by Miki » 08 May 2015, 10:51

There's interesting stuff coming out of the UK hip-hop scene. The Young Fathers and The Four Owls, to name two bands, for example.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

dparrott
Posts: 541
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 03:42
Location: California

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by dparrott » 08 May 2015, 15:35

It's more than just "things were better in my day". If you compare the VOCAL ABILITY DISPLAYED between for example Drake and Eminem or Lil Wayne and Big Daddy Kane, there's an obvious lack of talent and ability. I heard a recent Drake song, he might as well not even have a beat because his flow is not in time with it.

Shouting "REMEMBER...MUTHAFUCCAS NEVER LOVED US!" as your chorus is not real hip hop.

"Niggaz in Paris" is IMO one of the worst "hip hop" songs of all time. Two to four word verses...really? From two of the "best" rappers out there? And Kanye can't do any better than repeating "Don't let me get in my zone"??? Straight up lazy.

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 08 May 2015, 16:56

Blur are shit cause Damon's vocal ability is not as good as Freddie Mercury's.

User avatar
SeverHense
Posts: 217
Joined: 04 Mar 2015, 22:06
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by SeverHense » 08 May 2015, 17:19

Everyone knows REAL music died in 1980. I only listen to Queen, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, while everyone else my age listens to crap like rap and Justin Bieber. I think I was born in the wrong generation.

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by mr_spenalzo » 08 May 2015, 17:56

SeverHense wrote:Everyone knows REAL music died in 1980.
:lol:

dparrott
Posts: 541
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 03:42
Location: California

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by dparrott » 08 May 2015, 18:05

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Blur are shit cause Damon's vocal ability is not as good as Freddie Mercury's.
Some would say that actually. But yea I get your point. My feelings about this are so strong I tend to state them as fact when they are just my observations.

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by AdvertBreak » 08 May 2015, 18:07

SeverHense wrote:Everyone knows REAL music died in 1980. I only listen to Queen, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, while everyone else my age listens to crap like rap and Justin Bieber. I think I was born in the wrong generation.
"I'm better than all of you because I listen to the oldest music. I listen to cavemen, banging on stones and shit".

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by mr_spenalzo » 08 May 2015, 18:10

AdvertBreak wrote:
SeverHense wrote:Everyone knows REAL music died in 1980. I only listen to Queen, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, while everyone else my age listens to crap like rap and Justin Bieber. I think I was born in the wrong generation.
"I'm better than all of you because I listen to the oldest music. I listen to cavemen, banging on stones and shit".
Any sound made post-big bang has been a let down.

User avatar
SeverHense
Posts: 217
Joined: 04 Mar 2015, 22:06
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by SeverHense » 08 May 2015, 18:14

Nah, dude you got it all wrong. Music peaked when Ug the caveman first banged two rocks together.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7031
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by TripleJay97 » 08 May 2015, 18:55

AdvertBreak wrote:
SeverHense wrote:Everyone knows REAL music died in 1980. I only listen to Queen, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, while everyone else my age listens to crap like rap and Justin Bieber. I think I was born in the wrong generation.
"I'm better than all of you because I listen to the oldest music. I listen to cavemen, banging on stones and shit".
Filthy Frank? :lol:
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by AdvertBreak » 08 May 2015, 19:00

TripleJay97 wrote:Filthy Frank? :lol:
Spot on! :lol:

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by Miki » 08 May 2015, 21:12

I'm 47 and listen to all sorts of music old and new. So does my 20 yo son. It doesn't have to be a generational thing.

Rap is not something I like, but that's not because it's "new" - as it isn't! I don't like metal either. That is just my taste. As I don't know much about rap, I don't have a real opinion on "old rap" vs "new rap". There are certain things I like in rap, some are old and some are new. There is also a lot I don't like.

I can't comment on Kanye the artist, because I only heard two songs and didn't like either and the auto tune annoys me. As a personality I think he's an asshole :lol:
Last edited by Miki on 08 May 2015, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1847
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by Rubi » 08 May 2015, 22:03

Miki wrote:As a personality I think is an asshole :lol:
I don't think there's much to debate on that one.

User avatar
He's So High
Posts: 1019
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 17:22
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by He's So High » 08 May 2015, 22:12

Miki wrote:I'm 47 and listen to all sorts of music old and new. So does my 20 yo son. It doesn't have to be a generational thing.

Rap is not something I like, but that's not because it's "new" - as it isn't! I don't like metal either. That is just my taste. As I don't know much about rap, I don't have a real opinion on "old rap" vs "new rap". There are certain things I like in rap, some are old and some are new. There is also a lot I don't like.

I can't comment on Kanye the artist, because I only heard two songs and didn't like either and the auto tune annoys me. As a personality I think is an asshole :lol:
Fair enough if you don't like it as a genre, and have never liked it. I just think a few of us find it a bit frustrating when others put is as simply 'it was better in my day'!

dparrott
Posts: 541
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 03:42
Location: California

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by dparrott » 08 May 2015, 22:28

He's So High wrote: Fair enough if you don't like it as a genre, and have never liked it. I just think a few of us find it a bit frustrating when others put is as simply 'it was better in my day'!
OK, how about "it's changed too much and us old fans don't like it!"? The same could be said about Think Tank.

Post Reply