Oasis Chat

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 05 May 2015, 15:01

Their last two albums were actually quite good, especially compared to the horrendous Heathen Chemistry and SOTSOG, which had some great songs and a lot of filler. Falling Down is definitely in my Oasis top 10, and Part of the Queue could be there as well.

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Forever Low Man » 05 May 2015, 17:36

i liked don't believe the truth. i thought dig out your soul was a desperate attempt to change their sound, and obviously that didn't work
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7031
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by TripleJay97 » 05 May 2015, 17:49

Shock of the Lightning is the best Oasis tune since Lyla
Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 May 2015, 07:07

I honestly always loathed Oasis (they really got played out here in the States, especially on jukeboxes at pool halls for some odd reasons)..... Only songs I admit to like by them are "Don't Look Back In Anger", "Go Let It Out", "Supersonic", and to a certain degree "Roll With It".....Otherwise...arrghhhhhhhhh!
Image

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1121
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Mark72 » 06 May 2015, 11:35

I thought it all went down when Tony McCarrolll left :D ;)

But this is awesome for the TV show The Word. Their first UK TV appearance in 1994
https://youtu.be/81Z-WRuQe2w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Mark72 on 06 May 2015, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Sean
Posts: 667
Joined: 23 Mar 2015, 00:24

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Sean » 06 May 2015, 12:37

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I honestly always loathed Oasis (they really got played out here in the States, especially on jukeboxes at pool halls for some odd reasons)..... Only songs I admit to like by them are "Don't Look Back In Anger", "Go Let It Out", "Supersonic", and to a certain degree "Roll With It".....Otherwise...arrghhhhhhhhh!
So did I. Loathed them before any 'rivalry' with Blur came about too.

I thought Rock & Roll Star and Slide Away were brilliant. The rest is muck. Pure meat and potatoes pub rock / banal stadium anthem merchants. I could never really understand Blur fans being into them. Blur were the thinking man's indie band - arty, contrary and restlessly creative. Oasis were for the meat heads, churning out the same old shit over and over again. And as for them being compared all the time - jeez. It was like comparing Bowie with Slade.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1121
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Mark72 » 06 May 2015, 12:56

I thought definitely maybe was a great album. But they lost me during what's the story and as for be here now....best not mention that one. Went to knebworth and Maine road as I got tickets from a great mate who was into them big time. Enjoyed Maine road but not so knebworth the support act were better and I left 30 minutes before the end!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
Simon le bon
Posts: 144
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 11:09
Location: france

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Simon le bon » 06 May 2015, 14:33

Mark72 wrote:I thought it all went down Tony McCarrolll eft :D ;)

But this is awesome for the TV show The Word. Their first UK TV appearance in 1994
https://youtu.be/81Z-WRuQe2w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amazing video, i could never get bored watching it.

I know you're joking about Mc Carrol, but i have i to say i like McCarrol way better than Alan White. White should be shameful and do public apologize for the way he used to play Supersonic live!(i wouldn't accept his appologies anyway)
To me White was the worst drumer in Oasis history, without the shadow of a doubt.

1)Zak starkey
2) the guy who used to play for robbie williams
3) McCaroll



last) Alan White

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1121
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Mark72 » 06 May 2015, 14:39

Simon le bon wrote:
Mark72 wrote:I thought it all went down Tony McCarrolll eft :D ;)

But this is awesome for the TV show The Word. Their first UK TV appearance in 1994
https://youtu.be/81Z-WRuQe2w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amazing video, i could never get bored watching it.

I know you're joking about Mc Carrol, but i have i to say i like McCarrol way better than Alan White. White should be shameful and do public apologize for the way he used to play Supersonic live!(i wouldn't accept his appologies anyway)
To me White was the worst drumer in Oasis history, without the shadow of a doubt.

1)Zak starkey
2) the guy who used to play for robbie williams
3) McCaroll


last) Alan White
Oops soz, on the bus when I posted that.

I sort of left Oasis behind after be here now. Liked the last album though.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 May 2015, 06:36

Great discussion on here. Lots of valid points.
Mr Briggs wrote: I saw a YouTube clip where Damon admits that he thinks Oasis spoke to the people more than blur did,that's debatable,obviously he was scarred by the whole rivalry bollocks
This is true. Coming from their respective backgrounds, it was no surprise that Oasis 'spoke to the people' more than Blur did.

Though what was great about the 'Britpop' period was that Oasis got the pub & football crowd on board, Pulp got the students on board, and in turn they became aware of Blur (who had the shop-girls humming their songs) and their musical diversity.
Sean wrote: Blur were the thinking man's indie band - arty, contrary and restlessly creative. Oasis were for the meat heads, churning out the same old shit over and over again. And as for them being compared all the time - jeez. It was like comparing Bowie with Slade.
:lol: Like that Bowie/Slade comparison. Very true in many ways. And as with Blur/Oasis, I can appreciate both.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 May 2015, 06:40

Sean wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I honestly always loathed Oasis (they really got played out here in the States, especially on jukeboxes at pool halls for some odd reasons)..... Only songs I admit to like by them are "Don't Look Back In Anger", "Go Let It Out", "Supersonic", and to a certain degree "Roll With It".....Otherwise...arrghhhhhhhhh!
So did I. Loathed them before any 'rivalry' with Blur came about too.

I thought Rock & Roll Star and Slide Away were brilliant. The rest is muck. Pure meat and potatoes pub rock / banal stadium anthem merchants. I could never really understand Blur fans being into them. Blur were the thinking man's indie band - arty, contrary and restlessly creative. Oasis were for the meat heads, churning out the same old shit over and over again. And as for them being compared all the time - jeez. It was like comparing Bowie with Slade.

At least Blur knew when they were became caricatures of themselves (rather cliched sounding) and would reinvent themselves at the right time (obviously especially from "Great Escape" to "Self-Titled")....But Oasis were dead-set on constantly sounding like the Beatles and the other 60s British Invasion bands (but VASTLY inferior) that they never evolved whatsoever. And I also cringe even now when I read others from here in the States constantly lambasting Blur and grouping them w/Oasis... And yes, that Bowie with Slade comparison is a perfect illustration of that. Blur are very sophisticated and can play any style naturally and with ease, but Oasis just is so synthetic sounding...Saccharine....bland...etc.....
Image

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 299
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 17:16

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Foggy » 07 May 2015, 07:15

Mark72 wrote:I thought it all went down when Tony McCarrolll left :D ;)
Haha, poor Tony McCarroll. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YzK5kk2Z3E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ Is there a Mark & Lard appreciation thread anywhere? If not that needs to be addressed.

I think Oasis was best with that original line up. They were, in the early days, essentially a pub band done good. Each time they replaced a member with a more polished replacement they lost something IMO.

This is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0sry6TyEUU#t=30s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw them pushing Definitely Maybe in '94 and I maintain it's one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Maine Road wasn't a bad day out. Later I saw them a third time at Milton Keynes Bowl, it was just soulless coining it in by numbers. I left halfway through to beat the rush.

That Bowie / Slade analogy works. Comparing Oasis with Blur always struck me like comparing The Guardian with The Sun. You just know one's credible and worthy, the other's not. Despite being aware of that I always had time in my life for a bit of Deirdre's photo casebook.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

User avatar
He's So High
Posts: 1019
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 17:22
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by He's So High » 07 May 2015, 09:18

Yeah that's a great comparison with Bowie/Slade. Always thought it was ironic that Oasis thought they were The Beatles reincarnated but were way closer to Slade!

Sean
Posts: 667
Joined: 23 Mar 2015, 00:24

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Sean » 07 May 2015, 16:53

He's So High wrote:Yeah that's a great comparison with Bowie/Slade. Always thought it was ironic that Oasis thought they were The Beatles reincarnated but were way closer to Slade!
Yep, and Blur had soooooo much more in common with The Beatles than Oasis ever did. The point has been made often before - about how Blur constantly evolved, like The Beatles, whereas Oasis were resolutely unBeatles by sticking to that same formula over and over. And when Blur sounded a bit Beatlesy (End of a Century, Look Inside America, Beetlebum) they sounded so much more Beatlesy than Oasis, despite their best efforts, ever did.

Less obviously I think Blur had other things in common too..... :mrgreen:

- Dashingly handsome. Well, three of them - the drummer not so much. :mrgreen:

- Boyish and shy baby of the group who hated the limelight on guitar

- More than one contributing songwriter

- Shared vocals (sometimes)

- Admired by screaming girls and chin-stroking musos alike
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1121
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Mark72 » 07 May 2015, 17:21

Sean wrote:Less obviously I think Blur had other things in common too..... :mrgreen:

- Dashingly handsome. Well, three of them - the drummer not so much. :mrgreen:

- Boyish and shy baby of the group who hated the limelight on guitar

- More than one contributing songwriter

- Shared vocals (sometimes)

- Admired by screaming girls and chin-stroking musos alike
This is brilliant!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Post Reply