Oasis Chat

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sean

Re: Oasis Chat

Post by Sean » 08 May 2015, 13:20

This backs up why I think Noel is one of the most conservative musicians in rock...good read.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/m ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 09 May 2015, 08:48

Sean wrote: Less obviously I think Blur had other things in common too..... :mrgreen:

- Dashingly handsome. Well, three of them - the drummer not so much. :mrgreen:
- Boyish and shy baby of the group who hated the limelight on guitar
- More than one contributing songwriter
- Shared vocals (sometimes)
- Admired by screaming girls and chin-stroking musos alike
- The bass player moved to a farmhouse.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

Sean

Post by Sean » 09 May 2015, 10:38

Foggy wrote:
Sean wrote: Less obviously I think Blur had other things in common too..... :mrgreen:

- Dashingly handsome. Well, three of them - the drummer not so much. :mrgreen:
- Boyish and shy baby of the group who hated the limelight on guitar
- More than one contributing songwriter
- Shared vocals (sometimes)
- Admired by screaming girls and chin-stroking musos alike
- The bass player moved to a farmhouse.
Ha! Yes!
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 09 May 2015, 12:24

Sean wrote:This backs up why I think Noel is one of the most conservative musicians in rock...good read.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/m ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, great read. It's a real shame he didn't follow through with it. It sounds reasonably exciting, and I think most people would have given him credit for trying something new. What's he afraid of?

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 09 May 2015, 20:49

He's So High wrote:
Sean wrote:This backs up why I think Noel is one of the most conservative musicians in rock...good read.

Yeah, great read. It's a real shame he didn't follow through with it. It sounds reasonably exciting, and I think most people would have given him credit for trying something new. What's he afraid of?
Change.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 10 May 2015, 19:16

Forever Low Man wrote:
He's So High wrote:

Change.
Which pretty much sums up Oasis in a nutshell.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 12 May 2015, 06:49

Foggy wrote:
Mark72 wrote:I thought it all went down when Tony McCarrolll left :D ;)
I think Oasis was best with that original line up. They were, in the early days, essentially a pub band done good. Each time they replaced a member with a more polished replacement they lost something IMO.

I saw them pushing Definitely Maybe in '94 and I maintain it's one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Maine Road wasn't a bad day out. Later I saw them a third time at Milton Keynes Bowl, it was just soulless coining it in by numbers. I left halfway through to beat the rush.

That Bowie / Slade analogy works. Comparing Oasis with Blur always struck me like comparing The Guardian with The Sun. You just know one's credible and worthy, the other's not. Despite being aware of that I always had time in my life for a bit of Deirdre's photo casebook.
:lol: Great post, Foggy. Accurate and funny in equal measure.

I was at Maine Road in '96 and they were still 'full on', with Liam accentuating the vocals in his great style. But when I saw them at Bolton Reebok in 2000, this element had gone and they were going through the motions.

....and, yes, I used to read the Telegraph....and The Sun.... :D

I wonder if the girls in Dierdre's Photo Casebook went to an Oasis gig in their underwear....? ;)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 28 Oct 2016, 10:58

Sorry for the thread bump..
I saw a couple of weeks ago at the Picturehouse in Oxford. A well made, entertaining and some bits quite sad(especially the relationship with their father and mother)documentary. No mention of the August '95 battle with blur which I thought odd.. But well worth a watch if you a moderate fan. It brought back so many great memories for me and I can't believe it's been 20 years since I went to Maine road and knebworth!...

Nice half hour interview with Noel about the Be Here Now Album

https://youtu.be/jp3ITb8uIfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noel on the be here now tour

https://youtu.be/iNkpd_Z15Us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liam Q&A after the premiere of Supersonic. it was shown to us live after the film in Oxford and all round the country! Very funny and features Bonehead !

https://youtu.be/kpuPhzmxDXQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 28 Oct 2016, 17:27

The unheard songs on the BHN bonus disc are completely forgettable. I guess that's around the time when Noel started losing it. Be Here Now is still a great record though.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 29 Oct 2016, 15:05

I'm very excited to watch Supersonic! I have to wait and grab it on DVD, however. Also need to eventually get Be Here Now remastered.

That's amazing that you were at Maine Road AND Knebworth! Man, what I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time to those days.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 29 Oct 2016, 18:34

Lt Pinkerton wrote:The unheard songs on the BHN bonus disc are completely forgettable. I guess that's around the time when Noel started losing it. Be Here Now is still a great record though.
Yeah. I usually like Noel's demos, but him singing BHN songs doesn't sound right to me.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 29 Oct 2016, 18:38

Mallard No. 22 wrote:But when I saw them at Bolton Reebok in 2000, this element had gone and they were going through the motions.
...that's when Liam's voice started to turn to shit too. His lowest point was DBTT. I love the pre-DM demos, his voice was so clear.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 30 Oct 2016, 20:51

I agree. Liam had an amazing voice in the early days, one of my favorite's ever. Shame he lost it, and lost it HARD. And much too fast! Love this rehearsal footage from 92 of All Around The World (easily my fav song on BHN, probably because it was written in Noel's golden period) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDmN0UnS-M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;