Oasis Chat

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Mr Briggs

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by Mr Briggs » 04 May 2015, 18:39

Jensen wrote:
Leahscarlet2 wrote:What does liam gallagher even do nowadays?
Apparently, seeing the light 8-)

Never brought into the whole Blur /Oasis rivaly back in the day, I was a blur fan from year dot and I liked Oasis as well and saw them live, though I thought live they weren't as good as blur or obviously musically diverse.

I saw a YouTube clip where Damon admits that he thinks Oasis spoke to the people more than blur did,that's debatable,obviously he was scarred by the whole rivalry bollocks

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 04 May 2015, 18:44

Mr Briggs wrote:
Jensen wrote:
Leahscarlet2 wrote:What does liam gallagher even do nowadays?
Apparently, seeing the light 8-)

Never brought into the whole Blur /Oasis rivaly back in the day, I was a blur fan from year dot and I liked Oasis as well and saw them live though I thought live they weren't as good as blur or obviously musically diverse.
Ditto with me too. Bought Oasis,suede, Pulp back in the day, Went to the Maine road Gig and knebworth with a girlfriend at the time had a blast but nothing like the blur gigs of the '90s Their last great single for me was "Some Might Say" but always a big blur fan from '93.

Nice tweet from Liam though.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 04 May 2015, 18:57

Mr Briggs wrote:

Never brought into the whole Blur /Oasis rivaly back in the day, I was a blur fan from year dot and I liked Oasis as well and saw them live, though I thought live they weren't as good as blur or obviously musically diverse.

I saw a YouTube clip where Damon admits that he thinks Oasis spoke to the people more than blur did,that's debatable,obviously he was scarred by the whole rivalry bollocks
I loved it man, that was a fun time. My top two bands going head to head, and I bought both CH and RWI at the same time (over here it was a week later...do imports count in UK charts anyway?) I think if it was Some Might Say instead of RWI, Blur might have lost.

I only saw Oasis live once with the Black Crowes cause I like both bands. But otherwise, they're too boring to bother.

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 04 May 2015, 19:16

i like Oasis, but they became a parody of themselves on 2000s, even Noel 's solo records sounds like 90s Oasis, this is really boring.

Kirkudu

Post by Kirkudu » 04 May 2015, 22:52

Mark72 wrote:Their last great single for me was "Some Might Say"
Was a not bad song.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 04 May 2015, 22:54

Kirkudu wrote:
Mark72 wrote:Their last great single for me was "Some Might Say"
Was a not bad song.
One of the b-sides on the single was Acquiesce. Which was far, far superior to Some Might Say, imo.

Kirkudu

Post by Kirkudu » 04 May 2015, 23:02

My Name Is Mud wrote:One of the b-sides on the single was Acquiesce. Which was far, far superior to Some Might Say, imo.
I will listen it tomorrow, as I don't know this song.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 04 May 2015, 23:10

Kirkudu wrote:
My Name Is Mud wrote:One of the b-sides on the single was Acquiesce. Which was far, far superior to Some Might Say, imo.
I will listen it tomorrow, as I don't know this song.
You're in for a treat. Absolute peach of a song. :)

SeverHense

Post by SeverHense » 05 May 2015, 00:57

Macducci wrote:i like Oasis, but they became a parody of themselves on 2000s, even Noel 's solo records sounds like 90s Oasis, this is really boring.
Yeah, for me, my appreciation for Oasis ends with "Go Let it Out" and "Fucking in the Bushes" (two highly underrated songs), released in February 2000. By that point all the original members sans Liam and Noel had quit. Almost everything they did afterwards was mostly just a piss poor rehash of their early stuff except with Noel having lost the ability to write a decent melody and Liam having lost the ability to not sound like Kermit the Frog with a head cold. Of course their so-called glory days were 1993-1998 imo, with 1994-1996 being the best of them.

Oasis were a fun rock band, imo, but, that said, Blur are on a whole other level musically and artistically.

munch

Post by munch » 05 May 2015, 04:20

Macducci wrote:i like Oasis, but they became a parody of themselves on 2000s, even Noel 's solo records sounds like 90s Oasis, this is really boring.
Think it went downhill after Heathen Chemistry. Great album

Just listen to The Magic Whip. This is why Blur is still around
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

JackS

Post by JackS » 05 May 2015, 08:17

SeverHense wrote:
Yeah, for me, my appreciation for Oasis ends with "Go Let it Out" and "Fucking in the Bushes" (two highly underrated songs), released in February 2000. By that point all the original members sans Liam and Noel had quit. Almost everything they did afterwards was mostly just a piss poor rehash of their early stuff except with Noel having lost the ability to write a decent melody and Liam having lost the ability to not sound like Kermit the Frog with a head cold. Of course their so-called glory days were 1993-1998 imo, with 1994-1996 being the best of them.

Oasis were a fun rock band, imo, but, that said, Blur are on a whole other level musically and artistically.
This, however Dig Out Your Soul did show some promise IMO, it was streets ahead of Heathen Chemistry and Don't Believe The Truth.

Anyway, back to The Magic Whip. I noticed that buzzing on another song today, it's quite low in the mix on New World Towers. It's so prevalent on the tracks that surely it must be deliberate. No way Stephen Street wouldn't have noticed that. But it still grates on me on Spaceman. Maybe that was the desired effect...

Kirkudu

Oasis Chat

Post by Kirkudu » 05 May 2015, 08:59

My Name Is Mud wrote:You're in for a treat. Absolute peach of a song. :)
I listened of Oasis - Acquiesce, pretty nice song, but I prefer Some Might Say. :)
And I really don't like Oasis, just several songs are interesting for me.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 05 May 2015, 11:43

I prefer Acquiesce, but each to their own! ;)

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 05 May 2015, 11:56

i'd probably be way more into oasis if liam didn't have that overpowering nasal quality to his voice
makes the stuff hard to listen to for me

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 05 May 2015, 13:50

Dig Out Your Soul was good! Some of it (only one or two tracks) veered on sub par Oasis but the highlights were highlights very much, i.e. The Shock of the Lightning, their best rocker is many years and Falling Down, Noel's best self-sung song in many years.

Not the biggest fan of Don't Believe the Truth although Heathen Chemistry is nostalgic and I respect the experiments they took with SOTSOG.